+ Visit England Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FL & Claw

FL & Claw

Name:  25151848_732899766915277_2347568373354904517_n.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  56.7 KB
    What was your happiest memory here and what was the highest gate recorded ever?

Millwall 0 Spurs 5

Quote Originally Posted by gaz1959 View Post
    Name:  25151848_732899766915277_2347568373354904517_n.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  56.7 KB
    What was your happiest memory here and what was the highest gate recorded ever?
    Evening Gaz....there are many great memories but there are two that stand out but I just can’t decide which was the greatest so I Will give them in chronological order. The first was a FA cup 3rd round replay with Fulham in 1963/4 (?). We were in the old 4th division and Fulham were in the 1st division with players such as Johnny Haynes, Bobby Robson,*»Gentleman*»Jim Langley, Tony Macedo in goal and a young Rodney Marsh. We forced a 3/3 draw at Craven Cottage after being 3/1 down. The replay at the Den I will remember until the day I snuff it. It was an evening kick off with over 35000 fans crammed inside the Den. It was pissing down with rain through out the game and the noise was indescribable. If ever a crowd won a match then it was this one ! Fulham didn’t want to know and we won 2/0 with my hero in those days...Dave Harper....scoring one of the goals.
    The second is when we established a new unbeaten home run of 50 odd games ( can’t remember the exact number). Again the crowd played their part as we were losing to Carlisle but we managed to win 2/1 with thunderous support roaring the team on.

The highest recorded gate was against Derby County of over 48000 fans.....Jeez it must have bedlam in the place.

This could be a good thread if the other members of this board post their answers to the same questions.. Cheers FL

Quote Originally Posted by davee59 View Post
    Millwall 0 Spurs 5
    Eff off

Quote Originally Posted by frenchlion View Post
    Eff off
    I preempted you frenchie, I thought you would want us to make this a great thread with our memories of the Den. It was a great little ground with an unbelievable atmosphere. That game was in 1989 and I went along.

Quote Originally Posted by davee59 View Post
    I preempted you frenchie, I thought you would want us to make this a great thread with our memories of the Den. It was a great little ground with an unbelievable atmosphere. That game was in 1989 and I went along.
    Evening Dave...I was thinking on the lines of the Lane for you, the Boleyn for Tricky and John etc etc.
    Anyway glad you enjoyed your cup final in ‘89

ENGLISH DIV 1 (OLD) We 18 Oct 1989
    RESULT
    Tottenham 2 -1 Arsenal

This was our Cup Final in '89!!

My happiest memories of the Lane are 5-0 win against le @rse in the League in 1983 and the UEFA Cup win against Anderlecht, on penalties, the following year.

Notts 3 Man City 2 85ish

This sticks in my mind as it was a bottom of the league relegation battle,Notts went 3 nil up at half time only for City to almost get a point (or more) in the second half,this game was also the first time that I had witnessed serious crowd violence inside Meadow Lane with police horses being brought on to separate the fans and both managers speaking over the tannoy to appeal for calm,fast forward a couple of decades and City are one of the riches clubs in the world and Notts are stuck in league 2,its a funny old game

OK
    Mine was v Toffees on a blisteringly cold February Saturday.

Went into my usual pre match boozer, Springers Bar. It was full of Everton who were taking the p!ss out of me and my mate. But I kept saying "you won't win" which gnarled them a bit.

I wrapped up super warm with woolen polo and a couple of shirts under it but on top I had the infamous Bleached Denim Levi Jacket. I was nice and toastie.

The attendance was short of 30k but I'm sure there was more than 30k in there as the Town End was so rammed you were literally closer to the guy in front than you'd normally be to the girlfriend. We couldn't move anywhere and blokes were pissing on the terraces.

The bloke in front of me started smelling a bit ripe due to the heat generated by the packed crowd. I took more opportunity in pushing him well away from me when we scored rather than celebrate. Our little Town End was like a mini cop that day and he never made it back to where I was.

I have a clip here and it's worth watching as Kenny Strouds goal is a corker and a contender for goal of the century imo. The pitch looked like it belonged at the baseball ground back then but now I'm proud to say we are premier league in groundsmen imo

On the return leg the skallywags were trying to cut fingers off our fans to nick their rings - kents

The second Swindon goal was indeed a cracker but look at the state of the beach...I mean pitch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast