+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Best ever leeds 11?

Best ever leeds 11?

Gary sprake
    Paul reaney
    Paul madeley
    Norman hunter
    Jack Charlton
    Peter lorimer
    Eddie gray
    Billy bremner
    Johnny giles
    Allan clarke
    John Charles

These guys either played the most or scored the most for us in their highly distinguished leeds united careers

Would that make them the best LUFC 11 ever if they'd all played in the same 11 (I believe most of them did, could be wrong as they're all before my time)

Those guys in their prime, how would they fair against the best players currently in the Premier league?

Would any other LUFC 11 beat the quality of the 11 listed here?

Quote Originally Posted by CLIVETHELEEDSFAN View Post
    Gary sprake
    Paul reaney
    Paul madeley
    Norman hunter
    Jack Charlton
    Peter lorimer
    Eddie gray
    Billy bremner
    Johnny giles
    Allan clarke
    John Charles

These guys either played the most or scored the most for us in their highly distinguished leeds united careers

Would that make them the best LUFC 11 ever if they'd all played in the same 11 (I believe most of them did, could be wrong as they're all before my time)

Those guys in their prime, how would they fair against the best players currently in the Premier league?

Hard one Clive to compare teams from one era to another as rules very different now to back in the ‘glory days’ - not sure that 11 would have lasted long on the pitch if they played as they did by today’s rules or if they played by today’s rules they would have been as effective. Equally, there was a different emphasis on the skill v physicality fashion.

I treat the great Leeds teams like good red wine - appreciate them for what they were and be grateful if you saw those teams in the flesh.

The 60s/70s team was revolutionary in many ways. Review never gets the credit for his attention to detail, analysis and preparation he really deserves (his minging suit and superstitions probably didn’t help). I suspect that team would have been good today as they were adaptable.

I loved the 1990s champions as HW and the team represented all that was good about stubborn bloody minded Yorkshire. The midfield was also the most amazing blend of players on many levels; old and young, skill and hardness, Speedo in the air and plenty of goals. The fact GS had only a few years left but DB and GS had their whole careers in front of them. I also have a soft spot for Batty as he played in the same Allerton Grange team as one of my neighbours so I used to watch them from time to time and he was stroppy as a kid too.

I also loved the journey that was the O’Leary team wondering where it might all end. That back 4 was probably comparable to any we have had, particularly JW and RF. Kewell for a time was sublime and Fat Boy on his day was unplayable up front.

Gotta hand it to you Clive you are one of the many who constantly starts threads to start debate.

Gotta hand it to you Clive you are one of the many who constantly starts threads to start debate.[/QUOTE]

I agree - we do like to debate. Obviously it sometimes involves opinions we disagree with, but what's great is that we never fall out and everyone is always so reasonable, and downright logical.

My one change to what Clive said would be Diouf. He was such a nice guy and played really well (well, that's what the club and the manager at the time said, and who am i to disagree with that). Dioufy was a bit special. We really should have stuck with him, because he was developing really well. Based on the fact that he was Leeds, and if you're Leeds we don't question anything about you, i'd have him in our all-time team.

Last edited by Jezleeds; 15-12-2017 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jezleeds View Post
    Gotta hand it to you Clive you are one of the many who constantly starts threads to start debate.
    I agree - we do like to debate. Obviously it sometimes involves opinions we disagree with, but what's great is that we never fall out and everyone is always so reasonable, and downright logical.

My one change to what Clive said would be Diouf. He was such a nice guy and played really well (well, that's what the club and the manager at the time said, and who am i to disagree with that). Dioufy was a bit special. We really should have stuck with him, because he was developing really well. Based on the fact that he was Leeds, and if you're Leeds we don't question anything about you, i'd have him in our all-time team.

[/QUOTE]

Very cheeky seasonal fishing line cast out there. Diouf was phenomenal in a very much below average team but that is a bit like saying because you are more of a looker than Nora Batty you in the all time list of super model talent..... just saying ....

Would the Wilkinson or O'Leary or Grayson teams have matched the revie team? I guess most would say no

Quote Originally Posted by CLIVETHELEEDSFAN View Post
    Gary sprake
    Paul reaney
    Paul madeley
    Norman hunter
    Jack Charlton
    Peter lorimer
    Eddie gray
    Billy bremner
    Johnny giles
    Allan clarke
    John Charles

Hmmmm, I would have to disagree with the keeper & without doubt put Nigel Martyn in there, no place for Gordon Strachan ???? cases could also be made for the inclusion of some of the following:

Lucas Radebe
    David Batty
    Gary McAllister

Quote Originally Posted by costa_blanca_white View Post
    Hmmmm, I would have to disagree with the keeper & without doubt put Nigel Martyn in there, no place for Gordon Strachan ???? cases could also be made for the inclusion of some of the following:

Lucas Radebe
    David Batty
    Gary McAllister
    Few others too depending on formation - Speed would always be in line for consideration (though EG most likely to get the nod) and also Ferdinand and Woodgate at their peak would hold their hands up.

Who would you have as manager the Don or Wilko?

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)