+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: +/- stats for Notts players so far

+/- stats for Notts players so far

Here are plus/minus stats for the season so far (except the chickentrade trophy nonsense). It's goals for and against while each player is on the pitch. It's used a lot in NBA to see which players are the most effective. Not so telling for 11-a-side football, but maybe still says something. The good news is that every single player used this season is in plus.

Yates +20
    Duffy 17
    Grant 17
    Brisley16
    Hewitt 16
    Stead 14
    Collin 12
    Tootle 12
    Ameobi 12
    Hawkridge 11
    Dickinson 11
    Jones 8
    Milsom 8
    Forte 6
    Fitzsimons 6
    Allesandra 4
    Hunt 4
    Smith 2
    Hodge 1
    Walker 1

A bit of extra info. The next step would be to work it out per 90mins. That'd take longer than just totting up the raw numbers (very fast).
    But top of the list by a mile would be Hodge, so I stopped there.

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    Here are plus/minus stats for the season so far (except the chickentrade trophy nonsense). It's goals for and against while each player is on the pitch. It's used a lot in NBA to see which players are the most effective. Not so telling for 11-a-side football, but maybe still says something. The good news is that every single player used this season is in plus.

Yates +20
    Duffy 17
    Grant 17
    Brisley16
    Hewitt 16
    Stead 14
    Collin 12
    Tootle 12
    Ameobi 12
    Hawkridge 11
    Dickinson 11
    Jones 8
    Milsom 8
    Forte 6
    Fitzsimons 6
    Allesandra 4
    Hunt 4
    Smith 2
    Hodge 1
    Walker 1
    The Americans sometimes get carried away with stats. What we know from above is that we've been doing well as a team this season and the players with the most appearances naturally benefit from that in terms of accumulating their scores. I would say Shola Ameobi, Rob Milsom and Dan Jones are worthy of higher ratings in terms of the quality of their contribution, while Richard Duffy's score hides the fact that sometimes he has been culpable for us not doing even better, although the balance to that argument is that he has had some very good games and is certainly much improved on last season.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    The Americans sometimes get carried away with stats. What we know from above is that we've been doing well as a team this season and the players with the most appearances naturally benefit from that in terms of accumulating their scores. I would say Shola Ameobi, Rob Milsom and Dan Jones are worthy of higher ratings in terms of the quality of their contribution, while Richard Duffy's score hides the fact that sometimes he has been culpable for us not doing even better, although the balance to that argument is that he has had some very good games and is certainly much improved on last season.
    When I saw this, I was waiting to see how long it would be before someone comments particularly on Duffy's score in a negative way.
    What about those players who missed good chances? Aren't they just as 'culpable'?

Less than an hour though was the answer!

Yates +20
    Duffy 17
    Grant 17
    Brisley16
    Hewitt 16
    Stead 14
    Collin 12
    Tootle 12
    Ameobi 12
    Hawkridge 11
    Dickinson 11
    Jones 8
    Milsom 8
    Forte 6
    Fitzsimons 6
    Allesandra 4
    Hunt 4
    Smith 2
    Hodge 1
    Walker 1
    I'm assuming that if we did the same exercise for goals conceded the players would be listed in almost exactly the same positions?

Duffy & Brisley for example would be right up there because they have pretty much been ever present this season?

Maybe a formula combining both goals scored and goals conceded by games played would provide an interesting comparison? Actually, scrub that, lifes too short!!

The only stats I want to see is Notts appearing in the top 3 at the end of season

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    I'm assuming that if we did the same exercise for goals conceded the players would be listed in almost exactly the same positions?

Duffy & Brisley for example would be right up there because they have pretty much been ever present this season?

Maybe a formula combining both goals scored and goals conceded by games played would provide an interesting comparison? Actually, scrub that, lifes too short!!
    That's what +/- is - the difference between goals scored AND conceded while any player is on the pitch.
    To work it out per 90mins would let us look at Hewitt v Milsom, Stead v Forte but I couldn't be bothered either.

That's what +/- is - the difference between goals scored AND conceded while any player is on the pitch.
    To work it out per 90mins would let us look at Hewitt v Milsom, Stead v Forte but I couldn't be bothered either.
    Ah yes, sorry I see that now.