+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If you have been affected

Quote Originally Posted by Altobelli View Post
    As like you I speak my mind Sinkov.

When I moved in with Matron 14 years ago she watched all that crap, I used to vent my spleen at all the bad acting, poor story lines and mainly depressing one's, I must have had an impact on her as she does not watch any now, my best mate's wife watches them and he states she knows more about the soaps than what is going on in her own family.
    The missus has always watched Corry Alto, she had a fairly stressful job, she used to come home absolutely frazzled and she said she just wanted to switch off and watch any old dross that didn't require her to engage her brain, so Corry was ideal. Thing is she's been retired a long while now, but she still won't miss an episode. I don't say anything though, I know what's good for me.

Without wishing to sound like a leftie...

Millions of people DO have issues which can be triggered by certain events. Yes, in the past people were told to "Man up" or "Pull yourself together". These days these issues are better understood and there IS help available, if you know where to look.

Saying "Man up" to Clark Carlisle or Gary Speed etc etc is no longer the best way to deal with people with issues.

And I haven't watched soaps since Ena Sharples, Martha Longhurst and Minnie Caldwell left Corrie.

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post

Millions of people DO have issues which can be triggered by certain events. Yes, in the past people were told to "Man up" or "Pull yourself together". These days these issues are better understood and there IS help available, if you know where to look.

Saying "Man up" to Clark Carlisle or Gary Speed etc etc is no longer the best way to deal with people with issues.

And I haven't watched soaps since Ena Sharples, Martha Longhurst and Minnie Caldwell left Corrie.
    I hear you Eric Morecambe but the story lines are so contrived, it's like let's chuck a suicide in and then display the Samaritans Helpline telephone number.

I watched a TV program on homes for troubled or mentally affected children the other day, 2 undercover spy's went to different establishments, at both most of the staff were not professional and the way they handled the problems with these poor souls was not very good and making it more difficult, I blame OFSTED for some of the problems as they are not tough enough, these "homes" charge their Council over £4,000 per week per child, yet what is spent on one child per day on one child for food/petrol/outings is only £40.

Yes alf, perhaps the "powers" that be ought to sort out problems at source as there are many before spouting the obvious as we are lucky in only seeing it and not living it.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    The missus has always watched Corry Alto, she had a fairly stressful job, she used to come home absolutely frazzled and she said she just wanted to switch off and watch any old dross that didn't require her to engage her brain, so Corry was ideal. Thing is she's been retired a long while now, but she still won't miss an episode. I don't say anything though, I know what's good for me.
    Buy her a box set of David Attenborough's World or Monty Don's Garden

Quote Originally Posted by Altobelli View Post
    Buy her a box set of David Attenborough's World or Monty Don's Garden
    I don't know how she'd find the time to watch them Alto, the current routine is Strictly It Takes Two, Tea Time, Corry, Sky Movies till bedtime. It gets worse in January, Strictly is replaced by that bloody awful Ice Skating competition, not a problem though, leaves me free to watch footy or study the gees gees all night.

Oh 59/60 you gave up too early, you missed the Reg Holdsworth era on Corry, sheer comic genius was Reg, I even used to jiggle my glasses on my nose just like Reg did. But when Reg left to go Lowestoft, so did I, not to Lowestoft, I just left as a viewer, it went downhill at a rate of knots after Reg was written out.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    I don't know how she'd find the time to watch them Alto, the current routine is Strictly It Takes Two, Tea Time, Corry, Sky Movies till bedtime. It gets worse in January, Strictly is replaced by that bloody awful Ice Skating competition, not a problem though, leaves me free to watch footy or study the gees gees all night.
    Still picking the favs Sinky? By the way what happened to Colin Waldron ?

I also hate it when they voice over during the end credits or at the end of a show, and say 'tune in again at the same time next week' etc.
    Well if I do that Im going to miss the flipping program arent I !!.

Quote Originally Posted by alfinyalcabo View Post
    Still picking the favs Sinky? By the way what happened to Colin Waldron ?
    Never did in real life Alfie, I'd much rather take a fav on than back it, that OOK business was good for a laugh, but just for the competition. I'd 16 bets on Saturday, just 5 of them were under 5/1 and typically they all got beat. There was a 40/1, 25/1 and 14/1 with winners at 14/1, 7/1, 6/1 and 5/1, so a good day in the end.

CW got on the wrong side of the Brexit argument and seemed to take the disagreements personally. In the end he got into a big sulk and took his bat home, never to be heard from again. Not like my political opposition on here, BT and 59/60, no matter how often I point out to them the error of their ways, they give as good as they get and keep coming back for more, which is as it should be, good lads the both of them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)