+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Non-league for Crewe next season?

Non-league for Crewe next season?

What do you reckon? We've been members of the Football League uninterrupted since 1921...coming up to 97 years...is it very soon gonna come to an end?

Heart says no.
    Head says don't rule it out!

Midfield is the worry.
    All academy today.
    Hope it works.

Quote Originally Posted by somersetcrewe View Post
    Heart says no.
    Head says don't rule it out!

Midfield is the worry.
    All academy today.
    Hope it works.
    No problem today against a rough and dirty Crawley side. We were two up "before" they saw red, so the doubters cannot really use that as an excuse. Plus, their "last man" should have seen red in the first half also. Midfield no problem today, with Ainley and Lowery doing just fine, although we do need a "general" in there (perhaps in the New Year, funds permitting). Cooper must have been given a vitamin pill, because he was instrumental behind much of our attacking prowess. Not non-league for Crewe just yet and this result gives Artell breathing space from the critics. As I have said before, our problems go deeper than just the management team. I will leave it at that, apart from to say, the lads did fine today and fully deserved the victory.

I believe we Alex fans have earned the right to be sceptical. Yesterday’s hard fought (OK, battleground by Creepy Crawley) victory will have brightened our hopes, as well as move us up the league table. However, we’ve seen it before, notably against Notts County – and that proved to be a one-off.
    Crawley were inept and brutal and deserved a hammering. I disagree with those saying that, with the visitors at 9 men, we were right to shut up shop. With that sort of numerical advantage and against a side that in danger of going at least another two men down, we should have had the tactical nous to spread wide and push forward in midfield, leaving a reasonable back line to handle the long ball threat. The extra goal was ***** as we are 11 off parity, but it could, and should, have been more.
    Non-league? A distinct possibility still. There is almost a guarantee that we will not emulate that cohesive performance (from 3.15pm to 4.30pm, I believe) because recent history tells us we are not just inconsistent, but look as if we don’t know each other on the pitch and fail to work as a team. Yesterday and v. Notts County apart, we look bereft of direction.
    If it happens, I’ll still cheer on my team, still support whoever is manager, and hope for the best. The alternative yesterday was Christmas shopping ... Gresty Road should have been packed to the rafters.