+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Match thread v Grimsby

A poor performance from Notts today I thought, I know we were short on firepower, but not threatening for so long is a little worrying.
    We need some new players in January, hopefully we can get a loanee striker, the Stead/Amiobi partnership seems a little jaded, if no new players are to come in it will take a different plan to get us to top spot again, we will have Noble available & very shortly O'Connor, with that, the midfield will be flooded, how about playing Grant as an out & out Striker alongside Stead & Amiobi, he could be a great nippy player for the drop downs???.

What troubles me most isn't the result. As more than one poster has said, from time to time Notts will come short against even mediocre opposition. No, it's the frequent references to the poor quality of performance. Now Nolan has created a situation in which players are competing for a place in the team, you would hope that everyone on the pitch would be giving their all. That doesn't seem to be the case here.

If the ball is pumped forward with the regularity of Notts "clearances" then it doesn't say much for the ability or confidence of the players to chance a pass along the ground with the confidence that it might reach his man. The big boot cuts out any chance of an interception by the opposition midfield (so long as it doesn't just go up in the air and down to where it was booted from). On the other hand, of course, it gives the other side the opportunity to either boot it back or play it out to their midfield knowing we have no-one speedy enough or alert enough to intercept it. Without a creative midfield Notts rely on mistakes made by the other team, it's a confidence thing, something that you get at this level, League 2. Yesterday it was only in the last fif**** or twenty minutes that Notts showed any flair for footwork and it was then that we came alive, confidence surfaced and we attacked with belief. Nothing came of it, the subs were brought on too late.
    Last edited by LaxtonLad; 17-12-2017 at 11:46 AM.

Agreed ^

KN is still cutting his teeth as a manager and there are going to be days like this where teams come to frustrate you, a point is a point and moves us closer to our end goal of getting out of this division.... it was an off day but you just have to look at the Bristol Rovers game to see the boys can do it against better opposition... Luton do seem to be the stronger of the 2 so far but if we keep going as we are then this season can bring us a decent prize come May... We actually achieved something that's a rarity this season which is a clean sheet, I'm sure the boys are not sulking over this and will be raring to go for Cambridge next week...

Quote Originally Posted by irish_pie View Post
    KN is still cutting his teeth as a manager and there are going to be days like this where teams come to frustrate you, a point is a point and moves us closer to our end goal of getting to 50 pts, aqafp... it was an off day but you just have to look at the Bristol Rovers game to see the boys can do it against better opposition... Luton do seem to be the stronger of the 2 so far but if we keep going as we are then this season can bring us a decent prize come May... We actually achieved something that's a rarity this season which is a clean sheet, I'm sure the boys are not sulking over this and will be raring to go for Cambridge next week...
    Fixed it, Oirish...................

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    What troubles me most isn't the result. As more than one poster has said, from time to time Notts will come short against even mediocre opposition. No, it's the frequent references to the poor quality of performance. Now Nolan has created a situation in which players are competing for a place in the team, you would hope that everyone on the pitch would be giving their all. That doesn't seem to be the case here.
    This is harsh. I didn't think there was anything to suggest that the players were not trying their best. There was no lack of effort in the way we've seen from some Notts teams in the past. We were trying to win yesterday from first minute to last. It was just one of those days where they lacked fluency and were making the wrong decisions too often, against a well organised opponent who looked like one of the better sides in this division. It's the nature of sport, because it's played by human beings rather than machines, that sometimes you have days when things just don't quite click and the harder you try the worse it gets. Grimsby pressed the ball well and we were a bit too ready to go direct to Shola, who had a slightly below average game by his standards, and key playmakers like Jorge Grant and Terry Hawkridge picked the wrong pass where on other days they have created goals. On the plus side, I thought Brisley, Duffy, Hewitt and Yates did a really good job defensively, meaning we never really looked like losing. We should just take the hard earned point and look forward to a better day against Cambridge.
    Last edited by jackal2; 17-12-2017 at 01:17 PM.

I wasn't there, J2, so it wouldn't be fair to argue with you, but I thought many who had been were less than impressed by individual performances and I notice no one has posted ratings.
    But yes, unless you're a well-oiled machine like Man City every team has its off days. Very disappointing result though. Let's hope Cambridge get the hiding that is surely in Notts' DNA.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    Fixed it, Oirish...................
    Thank you Gumpy

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    I wasn't there, J2, so it wouldn't be fair to argue with you, but I thought many who had been were less than impressed by individual performances and I notice no one has posted ratings.
    But yes, unless you're a well-oiled machine like Man City every team has its off days. Very disappointing result though. Let's hope Cambridge get the hiding that is surely in Notts' DNA.
    I was less than impressed by some of the individual performances in terms of quality, but not effort. I didn't think there was anyone on the pitch not trying their best, and I think Nolan would have used his subs earlier if that had been the case. In fact, some of the players were perhaps trying too hard and becoming a bit anxious, seeking to force play rather than putting a foot on the ball and picking their passes.
    Last edited by jackal2; 17-12-2017 at 01:54 PM.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast