+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The JTW. McCabe/Prince,Wilder and the rest of the season.

The JTW. McCabe/Prince,Wilder and the rest of the season.

What has unfortunately become abundantly obvious to even the most happy clapping seal is that 1. Our squad is too small to cope with injuries/suspensions/illness and 2. Some of our fringe players are not good enough.
    This makes the impending window the most important in our clubs recent history,and for once it's not about who we might lose but who we absolutely have to sign to maintain our challenge at the top end of the table. IMO an absolute minimum requirement are 2 middies and a goalscorer. Others have suggested and I have to agree that shifting Carruthers to Charlton to bring in Holmes would be a good quick fix along with the addition of Leonard. I don't get what makes Cole attractive and if Wilson from the Rags is available on loan I'd be on it like a pikey on a re tarmaccing a drive job.
    McCabe and Prince have to back Wilder this window to maintain our great start and reassure/re*****ise Wilder and Knill. If they don't they will have negated everything the management have achieved and tell the fans once again they are bull s h itters 100%. I for one would never believe or trust anything they ever said again. Think Liverpool when we get to the Championship. Well we are not only there but for Coutts/Fleck and Duffy out would still be smashing the damn thing!! Put up or STFU!!!!!!!!!
    Finally, Wilder,100% Blade though he is will remember what happens this window. And when the BIG DOGS come calling at the end of the season with us finishing mid table because our board had everyones pants down YET AGAIN,he won't say no. That would be the ultimate karma for McCabe!!!

Time will tell and come end of January we will know exactly where McCabe and princes priorities lie. Carruthers Im really disappointed with. Reminds me of the Leon Brittan signing a few years ago. Just doesn't want to be here. Clearly talented but doesn't want to be at the club. Get rid. Also Jake Wright must be scratching his head. Solid. Reliable. Yet can't get in a defence of 3 that's leaking goals for fun. Hate to say it also but we are seeing the Billy Sharp of a few years ago. Off the pace and running round like a headless chicken. We need quality in the midfield and we need quality up top. They're priority signings to see this club move forward. Simple as that.

The squad is definitely nowhere near good enough

First 14 or 15 fine
    If the first 14 or 15 are fit we can introduce an odd change here and there and introduce new players slowly

When we have major injury problems and we have to rely on the rest of the squad
    Nowhere near good enough

Wilder knows, or at least he should, that three Championship quality midfielders in January and we can kick on again

If they do what their famous for and sign a squad filler for each position well then the struggles will continue

Quote Originally Posted by JJBlade View Post
    ..If the first 14 or 15 are fit we can introduce an odd change here and there and introduce new players slowly. When we have major injury problems and we have to rely on the rest of the squad
    This is the same for every team, surely. When Coutts got done, I got that same sinking feeling as when Hulse did his leg. From here on we're a different team. Blaming the back-up players is a bit OTT. To paraphrase, Barca don't have another Messi on the bench just in case. I see something more than that. For me it's that confidence and iron resolve that has faded a bit, and that may be the really difficult bit to get back.

I doubt if we're going to spend big in January and buy a bus load. When did we ever, when did anyone ever, get the answer to all their prayers in the January window?

McCabe and Prince have to back Wilder this window to maintain our great start and reassure/re*****ise Wilder and Knill. If they don't they will have negated everything the management have achieved and tell the fans once again they are bull s h itters 100%. I for one would never believe or trust anything they ever said again. Think Liverpool when we get to the Championship. Well we are not only there but for Coutts/Fleck and Duffy out would still be smashing the damn thing!! Put up or STFU!!!!!!!!!
    Finally, Wilder,100% Blade though he is will remember what happens this window. And when the BIG DOGS come calling at the end of the season with us finishing mid table because our board had everyones pants down YET AGAIN,he won't say no. That would be the ultimate karma for McCabe!!!

As you might expect SBT I could not agree more.

On two counts McC's eggs are all on one basket

a- he has, with his own words,no interpretation or 'what he really meant' apologists coming to his defence, staked his reputation on the 'Liverpool like/Championship challenge' statement. NOW IS THE TIME or he will frorever be known as a conning shyster.

b- Chris Wilder, by his own actions,his own success, has many,many more options than McC. In fact, McC has NO OPTION other than to fulfil his promise to the fans who have backed SUFC magnificently.If he can't or doesn't see that he will create the perfect storm and reap a reward that will destroy both him and the fan base.

Believe it or not I want him to see the light, back CW meaningfully and expansively and keep the momentum going.

Obviously this would maintain/extend his tenure at the club which does not please me but the success and development of SUFC is more important to me and every other fan at the expense of my thoughts/fee.lings abou him.

JUST DO IT Mcc- even you must see it makes sense and you have no other viable, credible option.

Of course I want Mr McCabe to back Chris in the JTW but it's not monopoly money. Please do not bankrupt my team.
    I'll settle for a mid table end to the season.

UTCB

Quote Originally Posted by tomytony View Post

a- he has, with his own words,no interpretation or 'what he really meant' apologists coming to his defence, staked his reputation on the 'Liverpool like/Championship challenge' statement. NOW IS THE TIME or he will frorever be known as a conning shyster.
    So, you don't remember that these words were in fact spoken by Jim Phipps, and not King Kev...?

Quote from Phipps at the time from The Stir...

"Despite having access to a portion of Prince Abdullah’s vast wealth - his business, the Saudi Paper Manufacturing Company, was reportedly worth a nine figure sum after its flotation on the country’s stock exchange - Phipps insisted the 47-year-old’s presence does not mean United will begin spending “ridiculous” amounts in the transfer market.

“Think Liverpool rather than Manchester City,” he said. “The prince, like Mr McCabe, has built a successful business from scratch and there are certain principles that he always adheres too.”

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Here we go.

McC's words on the original partnership investment
    “We’ve been looking for partner investors for six years and this is fantastic. This is game-changing for this club.

“The money being made available is for investment at first-team level and that means building a squad that can get us back to the upper echelons of English football.

“The partner is here for the long term and I’ve got to know him well, and I’m delighted that he’s on board.”

Phipps' confirmation does indeed allude to the 'L/pool like' FKB,, McC's to the 'game changing'.

Wasn't Phipps a co chairman thus representing SUFC, thus representing the Price and McCwhen he spoke?

"The Saudi prince, who has homes in Riyadh, London and Beverly Hills, joins the board as McCabe’s co-chairman along with James Phipps, who brokered the deal."

I'm not having that TT. You are attributing the quote to McCabe, when it wasn't his words. He never said it. You are wrong, clearly wrong and you should just admit it and get over it.

You can't have the 'wasn't Phipps representing the club, and therefore McCabe by association? ' either. It wasn't an official statement agreed by the board, it was an off-the cuff remark by Phipps to temper expectation when there was a lot of excitement about us being the next Man City. None of this makes the quote come from McCabes mouth. None of the quotes you are making from McCabe commit him to anything that you seem to think they do.

We're making huge strides as a club and have been for quite some time, but 'proving himself as a shyster' for failing to meet some arbitrary target for investment that you are dreaming up, based on words he didn't even say. Well, I just find that strange in the extreme.

To me it’s simple, either the Prince steps up or we need a proper investor. McCabe gave him half the club to do just that. Everyone knows that to be successful in football you have to invest heavily in the squad. Time for the Prince to come out of the shadows and make real statement of intent.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast