+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 20 of 38 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Celtic game

Quote Originally Posted by DonUnder View Post
    Rooney has never been the quickest but lately he's looked way off the pace to me and i wonder if we should have used Rooney as a make up for a younger striker in the closed season? There's a point (well there was for me) in your 30's where you have to run for a bus or see yourself on video and think feck when did i get so old i used to be quick (relitavely). Rooney moves like a man 10 years older than he is.
    Rooney was never quick, nor did he have a good first touch, or control of the ball, or great at bringing others into the attack, or as playing as a target man in the middle of the field. What he is and always has been good at is playing as a traditional centre forward and getting on the end of crosses from wide players. What we do not have this season is two wide players that deliver those crosses. Hence he has struggled for game time and goals.

DM has known about Rooney's deficiencies and for several seasons he has looked to sign a striker who could provide more options than just the man in the box. None of them have worked out. With May we now have a striker who is more comfortable on the ball.

We lost two of our best players close season and we are still 2nd in the league. The team are not balanced like we have been in previous seasons though.

Quote Originally Posted by Getintaethem View Post
    Rooney was never quick, nor did he have a good first touch, or control of the ball, or great at bringing others into the attack, or as playing as a target man in the middle of the field. What he is and always has been good at is playing as a traditional centre forward and getting on the end of crosses from wide players. What we do not have this season is two wide players that deliver those crosses. Hence he has struggled for game time and goals.

DM has known about Rooney's deficiencies and for several seasons he has looked to sign a striker who could provide more options than just the man in the box. None of them have worked out. With May we now have a striker who is more comfortable on the ball.

We lost two of our best players close season and we are still 2nd in the league. The team are not balanced like we have been in previous seasons though.
    That is very true and fair outside the penalty box he is limited at best. But (and this is only my remote take from RedTV) lately he has looked laboured and slow in movement - not just across the ground. A bit like when you start making a noise getting up from a low chair i think his sharpness has gone. Could be carrying an injury or a pound or two excess?

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman1903 View Post
    Do you not want the team to make a step forward. Or are you happy with being second, going out of Europe before the schools are back and winning nothing. Its like you are happy for the club to plateau.

This isnt a dig, its a serious question.

We are not glory hunting, we just want progression. McInnes has been manager for 4 1/2 years and he has not learned from his mistakes. Im not asking for the league as it wont happen. but we could win a cup, we could could get further in Europe bit we have been let down by wacky tactics and obvious fear. Are you really happy with the fact we started with 6 defenders yesterday. Are you happy he made no attempt to change things when it wasnt working. It looked like he just accepted defeat. We have been a good team for a while now and its am improvement on the past and thats all it is. But thats all we are. Forgive me for wanting a step forward which i dont believe will happen with McInnes in charge due to his awful big game record/mentallity. Its just my opinion and im entitled to it. As you are yours. But it just seems to me that you are happy with the current "also rans" type situation we have and to stagnate there is fine.

As i said its not a go its a genuine question for you.
    My only expectation is for Aberdeen to put in effort each game.
    If they do, generally we’ll do well.

I’m realistic enough to understand our limitations and will always hope we can exceed where we can, but I in no way have any delusions of grandeur over what we can expect.
    Our club is the third most successful team in Scotland having won 19 honours in our 114 year history.
    That’s 1 trophy every 6 years, boosted by an anomaly of a decade.
    So DM is already very successful in his era so far.

You contradict yourself in the above post, stating you just want progression, but then go on to admit we have progressed by being a good team for a while now and it’s an improvement on the past.
    So what do you want? Clearly not happy for second, as that is plateauing, but you admit we are unable to get the league.
    So for you, a cup is the holy grail and only acceptable outcome, a glory hunter as I put it.

Yes, I agree a cup is our most likely success path, but again, understand that at the end of the day, every other team in the SPFL have the same desires and it comes down to the team on the day.
    We almost did it in the Scottish cup last year, if not from a slack pass from McLean to Hayes we would have been 2-1 up with 15 to go.
    Tight margins, yes, against a far better resourced team.

Europe - I see progression, I see us getting beyond our expected seeded round, yet you don’t acknowledge that progression.

We are entitled to our opinions and it’s true I have more respect and acknowledgement for what McInnes has achieved so far. I understand the limitations he has on him and also the task to rebuild the team.
    There is no magic wand Pac-Man, it’s highly probable that any replacement manager will not be as successful as McInnes, although he may win the odd more games against the bigot brothers which is your only real measure of success, against teams with bigger budgets.

You held your tongue for a few days and it was clear it was building up frustration you couldn’t wait to release after our likely defeat at Celtic Park. I imagine you almost could get off with your release.

I prefer to measure against our natural competitors, with similar budgets, the likes of Hearts and Hibs.
    Our measure is against the rest and in that regard, we are the best of the rest.

We are currently sitting 2nd, exceeding commercial expectations.
    We can still have a good season, but should all get behind the team and the manager.
    Bickering like little girls does no-one or the club any good

Our record at Parkhead over recent years has been appalling. Twenty five straight defeats which is the worst record in the league I suspect and 9 straight losses to Celtic in all competitions a truly awful statistic. How can Motherwell, Kilmarnock St Johnstone and the like go there and get results but we can't. I have no confidence in us getting a result against them and obviously neither do the players. We are supposed to be the second best team in the league but when up against Celtic there is no sign of that. We look very average. I was disappointed when McInnes stayed mainly because he cannot motivate the players to win the big games and I see no sign of that changing which means we will see many more results like Saturday's.

Another consequence of yesterday is Graeme Shinnie’s booking taking him to 10 bookings & another suspension.
    2 games this time.
    It takes two weeks to kick in so I’m sure he’ll miss the away game at the B@stard Garden on 24/1. Big blow that
    He’ll also miss either the game before (St Mirren in cup or Killie in league. (Likely to be Killie as Cup is a different competition.
    He picks up too many silly bookings IMO

Quote Originally Posted by afc1903mad View Post
    My only expectation is for Aberdeen to put in effort each game.
    If they do, generally we’ll do well.

I’m realistic enough to understand our limitations and will always hope we can exceed where we can, but I in no way have any delusions of grandeur over what we can expect.
    Our club is the third most successful team in Scotland having won 19 honours in our 114 year history.
    That’s 1 trophy every 6 years, boosted by an anomaly of a decade.
    So DM is already very successful in his era so far.

You contradict yourself in the above post, stating you just want progression, but then go on to admit we have progressed by being a good team for a while now and it’s an improvement on the past.
    So what do you want? Clearly not happy for second, as that is plateauing, but you admit we are unable to get the league.
    So for you, a cup is the holy grail and only acceptable outcome, a glory hunter as I put it.

Yes, I agree a cup is our most likely success path, but again, understand that at the end of the day, every other team in the SPFL have the same desires and it comes down to the team on the day.
    We almost did it in the Scottish cup last year, if not from a slack pass from McLean to Hayes we would have been 2-1 up with 15 to go.
    Tight margins, yes, against a far better resourced team.

Europe - I see progression, I see us getting beyond our expected seeded round, yet you don’t acknowledge that progression.

We are entitled to our opinions and it’s true I have more respect and acknowledgement for what McInnes has achieved so far. I understand the limitations he has on him and also the task to rebuild the team.
    There is no magic wand Pac-Man, it’s highly probable that any replacement manager will not be as successful as McInnes, although he may win the odd more games against the bigot brothers which is your only real measure of success, against teams with bigger budgets.

You held your tongue for a few days and it was clear it was building up frustration you couldn’t wait to release after our likely defeat at Celtic Park. I imagine you almost could get off with your release.

I prefer to measure against our natural competitors, with similar budgets, the likes of Hearts and Hibs.
    Our measure is against the rest and in that regard, we are the best of the rest.

We are currently sitting 2nd, exceeding commercial expectations.
    We can still have a good season, but should all get behind the team and the manager.
    Bickering like little girls does no-one or the club any good
    Very good post. However I'm of the (informed as I don't know the person and everyone has an online persona) it's purely attention seeking from him and Mason.

It is tedious just like the retort will be about people praising McInnes.

Wishing you all a very happy Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by RedStarTorphins View Post
    Another consequence of yesterday is Graeme Shinnie’s booking taking him to 10 bookings & another suspension.
    2 games this time.
    It takes two weeks to kick in so I’m sure he’ll miss the away game at the B@stard Garden on 24/1. Big blow that
    He’ll also miss either the game before (St Mirren in cup or Killie in league. (Likely to be Killie as Cup is a different competition.
    He picks up too many silly bookings IMO
    Maybe force us to bring in another midfielder in January with a bit of luck as we are currently desperately missing Ryan Jack. Tansey just hasn't got it or shown his true potential!

I agree too many needless bookings however if you take that out of Shinnie do you destroy the player? He gives his all, is passionate about the club/team and you can see his hurt when things go against us.

Quote Originally Posted by donsviking View Post
    Our record at Parkhead over recent years has been appalling. Twenty five straight defeats which is the worst record in the league I suspect and 9 straight losses to Celtic in all competitions a truly awful statistic. How can Motherwell, Kilmarnock St Johnstone and the like go there and get results but we can't. I have no confidence in us getting a result against them and obviously neither do the players. We are supposed to be the second best team in the league but when up against Celtic there is no sign of that. We look very average. I was disappointed when McInnes stayed mainly because he cannot motivate the players to win the big games and I see no sign of that changing which means we will see many more results like Saturday's.
    There is a lot of "better the devil you know" around DM. I cannot see us improving with any of he suggestions that have been talked about on the other threads. There is a transition in the squad happening this season. Most times that happens there is a dip in performance.

Celtic view us as their main challengers and will raise their game. It is only natural. If we had won we would have been in spitting distance of them again.

No matter who is in charge, given the difference in wages and them having a half decent manager, we would need a huge amount of luck and them playing poorly.

I am far more disappointed in the sevco games than the celtic one. Let's see how we do against Sevco in the rest of the season. Those games were marred by the whole DM situation.

Quote Originally Posted by 87kilos View Post
    Maybe force us to bring in another midfielder in January with a bit of luck as we are currently desperately missing Ryan Jack. Tansey just hasn't got it or shown his true potential!

I agree too many needless bookings however if you take that out of Shinnie do you destroy the player? He gives his all, is passionate about the club/team and you can see his hurt when things go against us.
    As I said in the other thread, I would try out Stewart in midfield. Not as a replacement for Shinnie - but more as a replacement for Mr Lame.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman1903 View Post
    You are obviously a McInnes fan which is fair enough. I dont agree with it but you batter on with your opinion. But i have mine and i cant be chastised for voicing it on a football forum by people who have the polar opposite opinion.is thatbnot the whole purpose of a forum
    The point of a forum is to have an open debate and discussion.
    The problem here is that there is no debate or discussion, but just repeated negative statements at every opportunity with no reflective balance.

It’s why “Happy Clappers” (as you label them) react (not start the conversation) to the “Moaning Minnie’s “ (as I label them).
    It’s why through repitition, you’ve started to be accused as a troll.

If you want to debate your points, make them and allow a discussioned response.

Page 20 of 38 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast