+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Wiedwald

"If we do sign a replacement in January, it has got to be somebody better than what we currently have. I have seen people saying bring in Alex Mcarthy, could be something in it"

And that's the key point, and as Mrs O has said, it needs to be a GK who contributes more in terms of the whole system we're currently employing, to largely positive effect right now, rather than a GK who's better in some areas and worse in others. Just to repeat a bit of analysis I did in an earlier thread, but now updated to include Norwich:

Wiedwald - played 15, won 9, drawn 3, lost 3, goals conceded per game 1.33

Lonergan - played 7, won 2, lost 5, goals conceded per game 1.86

Of those draws and defeats, how many could we say were genuinely down to Wiedwald - obviously not the 0-0 draws, and I don't think you could fault him for the Villa goal, and of the defeats, Sheff Wed I think we'd have lost with Gordon Banks in goal, Millwall, from the match report "Leeds goalkeeper Felix Wiedwald then pulled off a string of saves to deny Morison again, Shaun Williams and Shaun Hutchinson", and Cardiff I think anyone would struggle to say we lost that specifically because of Wiedwald.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not blind, I can see that he's obviously got flaws, but by my reckoning so far he has actually directly cost us zero points, and on the flip side has definitely made some saves which have preserved a winning position, so all I'm saying is be careful what you wish for. Maybe he's just incredibly lucky, and if so that's something you definitely can't buy........

Seems TC thinks he's ok

I would say TC is deluded on this occasion..IF he isn't replaced in the next transfer window he could cost us dearly in my opinion.

But WTF do I know

Top goalkeepers in this league cost at an average of £2/3 million,bout 25k to get up out of bed and as Birmingham found out in experienced thirty year old (Leeds fan) Stockdale this season 'there are no guarantees' ...........Sshh but Boro paid £5.6 million for Randolph .................

Randolph going was a typical "wideboys" deal, cashing in and getting Hart on a budget deal.

Don't understand the talk about McCarthy albeit he was here before...but he's Southampton's No2 no sane PL club will be offloading their No2? Stuart Taylor is their No3, have no idea on his distribution style or footwork capability.

So is distribution now the first aim for a goalkeeper or is it still keeping the ball out of the net?

JFC!!!, I hate to think what your opinions on Felix would be if he wasn't making the saves and clean sheets

I'm concerned about how the Fans are treating grot, the kid needs support, not surprised he's seemingly not putting in as much effort as he did on his debut!

Quote Originally Posted by Billyni View Post
    So is distribution now the first aim for a goalkeeper or is it still keeping the ball out of the net?
    Ask Pep, he seem's to have all the answers.... most likely he will say it's not in "HARE JOT" but in "MOANERS ERODES"

No longer just the role of the fat guy who can't run about

Quote Originally Posted by Billyni View Post
    First aim is to prevent a goal, however that is done. Creating chances for the outfield players is obviously important, and something ALL GKs do, to a greater or lesser extent. The GK is not, and can't be regarded as, an outfield player, no matter what the tactics/strategy.

Stats say clean sheet and bar one issue at QPR he was good there - give the lad a chance.

Forgot to mention there are no amazing gks in the English second division

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)