+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Wiedwald

Wiedwald

Tried to keep myself distant from judging him but Norwich finally made my mind up.

He is dreadful.

I was listening to the match on BBC Radio Leeds and the way they went on I thought he'd pulled off 3 world class saves. My mind was at ease, I thought he'd finally come good. Then I watch the highlights. Two of the saves are woeful, he saves it (first one from Oliveiria outside box) and pushes it right into the danger zone, useless, never mind the fact it was a save he should be making at any decent level of football. The second save is a fairly tame shot that is going just under the bar, he somehow manages to contrive to also rather than tip it over (as all keepers should) he pushes back out into the box, yet again putting us under more pressure. The third is a good save because he was in a good position, nothing more, he didn't pull off a worldie, it hit him because he was in the right place, well done Felix.

My problem with him is that he isn't a keeper, the more and more I watch he looks like an outfield player who has had to chuck the gloves on because our proper keeper has been shown a red card.

We got away with it massively against QPR when he let the ball bounce over his head (which was possibly the worst error I've seen since Rachubka) yet again nearly costing us points in a game where we were under no pressure. Saturday Norwich should have equalised when he managed to parry a routine save into the feet of Pritchard.

I get that people want to 'give him a chance' but the things he does wrong are fundamentals, things he should have learnt by now. We've been lucky last two games that his errors haven't cost us points like previous games, we desperately need to address his position and get a genuine keeper in who has decent distribution because in the long run and especially against better sides it will come back to bite us.

We aren't Barcelona or Man City, we can't afford to have a dreadful goalkeeper just because we will dominate 99% of games and he can pass it about a bit.

Have to say that when I watched highlights, I was kinda thinking the same. His saves were not a reflection of the commentary on Saturday.

This again ...

Not sure about his saves but wish someone would save me from the same old grumbling. He's 1st choice 2017/18 - live with it

Quote Originally Posted by jimmybn View Post
    This again ...

Not sure about his saves but wish someone would save me from the same old grumbling. He's 1st choice 2017/18 - live with it
    Same old same old eh Jimmy, "You don't like it, shut the f00k up", eh?

Least all the really observant "supporters" can have one thread to pick on the current weakest link in our team....till the next one that is, every team has one btw think it was Ray Wilson in 1966.
    Trouble is most think its FIFA18 not real matches, where a team evolves over real time.

WTF you'd be absolutely creaming yourself on the One Boro site, negativity everywhere....Oh hang on tho, it's mostly about your mate Monk, remember! the manager who didn't like our new owner and you were promising us the usual doom and gloom at losing him..

Kemar Roofe, is he all that, didn't play as well as the week before, maybe pick on him next... ALAW

Quote Originally Posted by whitestomper45 View Post
    Least all the really observant "supporters" can have one thread to pick on the current weakest link in our team....till the next one that is, every team has one btw think it was Ray Wilson in 1966.
    Trouble is most think its FIFA18 not real matches, where a team evolves over real time.

WTF you'd be absolutely creaming yourself on the One Boro site, negativity everywhere....Oh hang on tho, it's mostly about your mate Monk, remember! the manager who didn't like our new owner and you were promising us the usual doom and gloom at losing him..

Kemar Roofe, is he all that, didn't play as well as the week before, maybe pick on him next... ALAW
    I wish you and Jimmy (and a few others) would take off the blinkers, at least for a little while. The ONLY player I want rid of, because he simply is, and never will be, good enough, is our current 1st choice GK, no-one else (not even Lassogga, given the guy hasn't been playing for months, so hardly able to show if he has learned lessons/got fit etc etc). And (for the ump****th time, not that you ever listen), I didn't promise anything when Monk left, just that as a club we were less than "sophisticated" in how his being engineered out was handled.

On teh subject of the thread, if (in your words) he is the weakest link, then surely, if logic applies, and opportunity (in the form of the January window) presents itself, then the club should do something to fix that weakest link, not just sit on its collective hands and take the "lets just see if he improves" line espoused by your mate Jimmy?

I mean, with Lonergan apparently out of favour, there isn't even the prospect of keeping the guy honest by having someone in the squad who is a credible alternative, something that NO other player can say about their position. What makes Wiedwald so f00king precious????

As for Boro, what the f00k do I care about them?

Mmmm," ........ listening to the match on Radio Leeds ......... & then watching highlights"

When your listening & watching Google Sweeper keepers,then after seeing Felix actually perform over many months home and away (like myself & others) in the flesh watch him off the ball position wise in connection with the defence and note how the defence system we use operates noting 'his' role between our central two.Then note how crosses are dealt with and how when we're turned over deep what our central two consistently do then you'll get why he sometimes is left exposed.

Work in progress and time will tell and anyway Felix gotta be right because the Fifa17 stats on my sons Leeds team virtual games played this season tell me he's the best - so WTF do I know compared to media presentation...............

MOT

I don't rate Felix as a GK, as Joel states, at this point in his career he should be more dependable.

However saying that, the number of cleans sheets that we have kept and number of wins we have had with him, can't be argued with. Its obvious that the system we play demands a GK that can distribute the ball quickly and accurately and works well with Felix in the team. So I do have to recognize he is a key part of a winning team/system and all credit to him.

I am all for allowing someone time to develop and learn the league etc especially Wiedwald which would have worked well if Green had not spat his dummy out.

As it stands we need that reliable first choice. Not saying get rid of Wiedwald but another decent No1 would allow him a little bit more time to adapt his game to a Physical Championship league and hopefully come good for us.

If we do sign a replacement in January, it has got to be somebody better than what we currently have. I have seen people saying bring in Alex Mcarthy, could be something in it.

Aint no GKs being signed before the summer lads (if at all) so forget that one. Deals for LB and CF are more likely if there is good business to be done in January (which there rarely is).

Club will take the pragmatic approach on this one. Not that theres no money to spend just sound business planning for the future MOT

he distributes well and gets it out fast. when we play our quicker players this is a handful and keeps other teams honest.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)