+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best thing on Saturday ......

Best thing on Saturday ......

.....after seeing Leon Best score for us I'd forgotten how ****e he was!!

No, the best thing about Sat, we didn't play well. And we won. While winning and scoring 3's and 4's away from home, and playing great football, you know you have a seriously good chance of promotion if your looking like we are. Even on an off day, we find enough to win, and not concede. After hearing some fans be critical over Whittingham, missing him yesterday showed what he does give us. I'm still to be convinced by Evans. I just don't rate him. You cant play him and Smallwood in the same side at home, as both are way too similar. And Evans doesn't make forward passes like Whittingham. And the ball doesn't keep ticking over. I still say we need to strengthen that area then we will have quite a side. For me, that's the last missing part (and getting Lenihan back at centre half) a classy, box to box centre mid, who contributes with goals. While we are scoring, and it is being shared out, our midfield are not contributing whatsoever. Conway's legs have gone now. I heard about us going back in for Jack Byrne from Oldham. I feel that would almost gurantee promotion. He scores aswell as keep the ball moving, and gets stuck in. With next season in mind, we still need a bit extra. It will be interesting playing Hull in the cup, a very barometer as to where we are now, with next season in mind.
    3 games now, Northampton away (I cant get a ticket for this!!) then 2 at home vrs Rochdale and Scunny. Lets see if we can keep winning.
    6 wins in a row, 13 unbeaten in all competitions. I cant recall the last time we looked this strong.

Relief to hear your take on Whittingham who I was beginning to worry over ie his contributions.
    For many reasons, not seen a great deal of him with us, but I value your assessment.
    Aah Cory Evans yep me as well , just can't quite connect him as an international , it would appear he only comes alive in a green shirt and as we've never had one in his time here maybe that's why he doesn't impress.
    As said successful teams deliver more regularly after good and.indifferent showings. And this comes from a close knit team spirit which for us seems excellent

I've noticed that reactions to Whittingham vary widely. Some fans think that he's too passive, but others argue - like Champs - that he is providing an essential link with his accurate passing - a link that often goes unnoticed. Unfortunately, I only get to see the midweek games live, but when some of the big games come up in the New Year, I'm going to steel myself for a few 4 a.m. kick-offs, NZ time. The problem is, it's not worth going back to bed afterwards, so I end up tired all day. (The beauty-sleep hasn't worked yet, but I'm still trying!)
    Byrne would be an excellent extra option, and if we can't sign Chapman permanently, we might well need a winger as well, simply because all of the up-and-coming U-23 midfielders have central positions as their first preference: Tomlinson, Hardcastle, Rankin-Costello, Mols and Grayson.
    Other than that, I think we look pretty well covered for the near future. I see that another promising central defender, Platt, has just signed an extended contract. I suspect we will struggle to find another group of U-23s as good as the current crop.
    Slightly off-topic, life must be strange for someone like our second-choice goalkeeper, Leutwiler. As a keeper, you hardly ever get brought on as a sub, but we don't have "Reserve" matches any more, so someone like him ends up with almost no game-time. I think I would find that very frustrating if I was a player.
    Last edited by AucklandRover; 18-12-2017 at 08:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Despair View Post
    Relief to hear your take on Whittingham who I was beginning to worry over ie his contributions.
    For many reasons, not seen a great deal of him with us, but I value your assessment.
    Aah Cory Evans yep me as well , just can't quite connect him as an international , it would appear he only comes alive in a green shirt and as we've never had one in his time here maybe that's why he doesn't impress.
    As said successful teams deliver more regularly after good and.indifferent showings. And this comes from a close knit team spirit which for us seems excellent

Having had a slow start, sometimes you find out about a players ability when he is missing. Whittingham plays a very important role in how we play. Smallwood (who I think is starting to look tired and its catching up) does the ugly stuff, but cant pass. Evans is exactly the same. Whittingham offers much more. He rarely gives the ball away, but he links well with Dack etc.
    As in the close knit group .....little things I notice from going to games etc .....on sat when we scored even the goalie came up to celebrate after the second!! Every player did. It may seem nothing, but ALL are part of this! They are close, they do stick together. Its very clear TM has us organised, close and fighting for one another. That in itself brings success.

It is quite exciting being a rovers fan this season even though we are in league one
    Our squad has good depth for probably the first time since venkys reign of terror began
    I wonder just how much influence Tony Mowbray had on this my guesses alot
    The new CEO at Ewood is defiantly his choice
    With a football man pulling the strings now and not agents or pundits maybe the green shoots of recovery are starting to appear.

Quote Originally Posted by robinrover View Post
    It is quite exciting being a rovers fan this season even though we are in league one
    Our squad has good depth for probably the first time since venkys reign of terror began
    I wonder just how much influence Tony Mowbray had on this my guesses alot
    The new CEO at Ewood is defiantly his choice
    With a football man pulling the strings now and not agents or pundits maybe the green shoots of recovery are starting to appear.
    totally agree Robin. The new CEO clearly looks like he was suggested by TM. And I trust him on this one.
    Its taking time, we have a long way to go this season alone, but once things got sorted on the pitch, the other things will fall into place. I really dont want to sound fickle, but if the results keep like this, bit by bit folk who stated they would 'never set foot inside ewood again' and used Venkys as an excuse, will return. It was always about results on the pitch. Rovers fans who'd jumped on the bandwagon, just got used to them winning. The same fans who came overnight when the money came in, left once results started going wrong. They came to support the winning team and brag. Nothing to do with a love of Rovers. Once we look like we will get back, a lot of fans will return once they see they will be following a winning side.
    The loyal fans are the ones that stuck with Rovers during this time. Actual proper fans (about 10k at home) have always been here. That's what our crowd was before Walkers money, that's what it is now. The rest just jumped on (then off) the bandwagon.
    For me, as a fan, you cant start deciding which owners you agree with or not (which was just an excuse anyway) you just support your team. So us that have stuck with Rovers, will really appreciate the season we are having. I feel sorry for the ones missing out on a thoroughly enjoyable season. As much as the vast majority of our Prem days (when we weren't going for the title)

That would always have been my take too, Champs. I remember having lots of discussions on this topic with some of the former regulars. To be honest, I could see their reasoning for staying away, but - as I admitted at the time - it would have been less complicated for me. I simply would not have been able to resist going along on a Saturday, however much I felt I should stay away as some form of protest.
    Bottom line, it's still Rovers out there on the pitch. I hate football politics, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    That would always have been my take too, Champs. I remember having lots of discussions on this topic with some of the former regulars. To be honest, I could see their reasoning for staying away, but - as I admitted at the time - it would have been less complicated for me. I simply would not have been able to resist going along on a Saturday, however much I felt I should stay away as some form of protest.
    Bottom line, it's still Rovers out there on the pitch. I hate football politics, anyway.

haha ....without naming names, we both know some of our former regulars will be watching us win every week and ....well it doesn't need to be said. You cant pick and chose as a fan imo .....anyone can jump on board when your club is rich and winning things. Do they even need support during those times?? No .....when you are struggling, that's when you need support. That's real football fans. Owners, players, managers, CEO's, Directors, all come and go. Fans don't (or shouldn't) pick and choose. While it will be nice to see Ewood fuller, it will be slightly annoying to see folk drift back but by bit. Based soley on results. Say we got into the Play-off final this season? I'll edge my bets that we take 30k. Its just been a bit sad that those people from Blackburn are missing out. While all those protesters, just gave up and went home a long time ago, the fact remains the Venkys have continued to plough money in to the club, in all areas. Our Academy at Brockhall has seen a new update costing over a million, look at the quality players coming through it every season?? Not one other party has come in with an offer, or shown the slight bit of interest. I heard a lot about us ending up in the non league, or folding. The reality is, we wouldn't have a club still without the millions put in by the current owners, mistakes or not. Year by year they have realised what works, what doesn't. Right now we are moving along nicely. Its pity so many threw their toys out. But personally I'm gald. we don't need their negativity, and away games are brilliant! Everyone is happy, everyone supports Rovers, and they haven't turned up for a moan.

I think those comments might draw a few people out of retirement, Champs. You always were good at setting the cat among the pigeons!

You got me Auks
    If nobody bites on this I'm clearly losing my touch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)