+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which qos player has been the biggest loss

Which qos player has been the biggest loss

Was listening to off the ball on Saturday and they were discussing players who have been the biggest loss to your team. Stuart cosgrove, who as most know is a st Johnstone fan, mentioned that the player that he thought was there biggest loss was our old manager John Connolly. Got me wondering which qos player has been the biggest loss.
    For me ted Mc inn was a loss, however we got paid a pretty packet for him so imo it was Stewart cochorane. Always loved watching him. Quick powerful and new where the nets were. Will always remember his goal against Dunfermline when he broke from the half way line and fired it into the top corner to seal the game at a packed Palmerston. Fantastic player who we got nothing for. We always missed that type of player until the arrival of Sean O’Connor who coincidently had to retire also.

I feel we still haven't seen a player like Stevie Bowey grace Palmerston Park. Some have come slightly close but what a player.

I also remember after Colin Scott packed it in. We had a horrid time recruiting a goalkeeper. The likes of Barry John Corr, Ritchie Bernard etc. It was a painful few seasons. I remember the relief when Craig Hinchcliffe came in as cover for a couple of games. He came out and collected a cross and we all looked around in the stand with amazement.

Rowan Alexander and Peter Weatherson who both left Queens to join Morton and were even more prolific strikers.

Midfield maestros like Burns or McKenna ......

This is something I have thought about before, and from the recent players we have lost, I came up with :

1) Kevin Holt - As good as Jordon Marshall has been, Holty just gave us an extra attacking dimension on the left side
    2) I hate myself for thinking this, but Mark Kerr. We haven't had a player to control the midfield and spot that killer final ball since he left. He used to get criticised for giving the ball away, but I always thought that was because he was the one willing to try to make the difficult passes.

For me it was Andy Thompson, great player, great goals and a great grandstand!

Quote Originally Posted by Truthhurts View Post
    For me it was Andy Thompson, great player, great goals and a great grandstand!
    Tommy Bryce (Mark 2) - a wonderful player from his spells at Palmy. Not only could he play as a striker with his 95 goals for Queens but also could play the old - fashioned inside forward role to great effect when required.

I must admit to liking Tommy Bryce (Mark 2) and Andy Thomson. I'm not sure whether Queens fully appreciated those two players as well as Stevie Mallan at that particular time in the old Second Division.

Quote Originally Posted by ALBERTZ_11 View Post
    I must admit to liking Tommy Bryce (Mark 2) and Andy Thomson. I'm not sure whether Queens fully appreciated those two players as well as Stevie Mallan at that particular time in the old Second Division.
    All great players and have to agree on mckenna. He was a seriously hard player and I've always thought we have never replaced him. Jacobs does a similar job but I have always thought he wasn't in the same class as mckenna whof had a nasty streak and would go through a brick wall to win every tackle. Big loss and still missed today.

Quote Originally Posted by fatfan View Post
    All great players and have to agree on mckenna. He was a seriously hard player and I've always thought we have never replaced him. Jacobs does a similar job but I have always thought he wasn't in the same class as mckenna whof had a nasty streak and would go through a brick wall to win every tackle. Big loss and still missed today.
    Loved McKenna's combative style and agree fat fan he is a big miss. Don't know if he is still playing but was devo at Cumnock with wee Paul Burns

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)