+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Famous players to play at palmerston

Famous players to play at palmerston

Was thinking of games in the past and got wondering what football superstars have graced the turf at Palmerston. The one that stands out for me is a young Gazza when he broke into the Newcastle Utd team and he played in a friendly against queens.
    Can anyone bring up international names who have played against queens

Quote Originally Posted by fatfan View Post
    Was thinking of games in the past and got wondering what football superstars have graced the turf at Palmerston. The one that stands out for me is a young Gazza when he broke into the Newcastle Utd team and he played in a friendly against queens.
    There are many out there who have graced Palmy like Matt Busby, Bill Shankley, Stanley Matthews, Joe Mercer, Frank Swift - in fact all the top British players of the 1940s.These were wartime games and attracted crowds of 7 to 9,000.

1969 the Celtic team that played a Queens select for our 50th year game. Was there and my brother was still celebrating Queens opener when Celtic equalised from the kick off. Great game though. Most of the team were the guys to win the European cup two years earlier and made the final again in 1970.

Hibs Famous Five from the Fifties first played together at Palmerston vs. Queens....

Quote Originally Posted by ALBERTZ_11 View Post
    Hibs Famous Five from the Fifties first played together at Palmerston vs. Queens....
    If you knew the Hibees history you would know that the first time Joe Public saw them in action was actually up at Sanquhar against Nithsdale Wanderers

Quote Originally Posted by Ftivano1 View Post
    If you knew the Hibees history you would know that the first time Joe Public saw them in action was actually up at Sanquhar against Nithsdale Wanderers
    Now that I didn't know.

there was a decent bunch of star internationals playing in the queens v man u game for the lockerbie disaster match canny remember them all but defo mind mark mcghee and roy aitken playing fur queens .i was standing in the coo sheds and a guy shouted your shi__ mcghee away hame mun ,and mcghee turned round while taking a throw in im here to play for you silly ****s so shut it lol ,which turned to a corus of mark mcghee your a wa-nk-er lol ,bit of fun banter on the terrace .

Quote Originally Posted by fatfan View Post

The Gazza performance that night was unbelievable. 2 goals for him and 2 for Paul Goddard if I remember correctly????

Didn't the Harlem Globetrotters play at Palmerston many years ago ?

Quote Originally Posted by aloreburn View Post
    Didn't the Harlem Globetrotters play at Palmerston many years ago ?
    Sure did with the star player / clown called Meadowlark Lemon

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)