+ Visit Carlisle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: radio cumbria

radio cumbria

Well nowts changed with JP,wants every,no matter how small every advantage in a game.Yellow cards for the opposition or even a red.Wants most free kicks,he has a thing about challenges and tackles on a utd player but little or no mention if its the other way around.Scoffs opponents efforts on goal,probably in relief but non the less.Wants extra time added if we are getting beat but less time if we are winning.Plays hell if the other team pinches a few yards at throw ins but nowt said if we do it.Time wasting by the other team but nowt said when we do it.The only time he praises the other team is when they have won because it sounds better having been against them for most of the match.

He's playing to his audience sandpit. Most local commentators do it, and you can bet that the bloke from BBC Radio Kent was telling his listeners how Gillingham were well on top, how dirty a side we were and complaining every time one of our players went down or a a foul was given in our favour. I sometimes listen when I'm standing n the Paddock and I agree that he's over the top, but what surprises me more is how much he's missing, or getting wrong, now that he's sat over the other side. He missed their half-time substitution last Saturday and was confused several times about what was happening near the dugouts. He needs a line to someone over at the working end of the game, now that he's sat in his nice dry luxury box.

Blue is the color,Phillips is the name,were all together and winning is our aim,so cheer us on with ye blue tints on cos Carlisle Carlisle is our name.I know but there ye go.

As a commentator you are there to say what you see - the reason you have a summariser next to you is so they can give an opinion.

Our last decent commentator was that Nick Barnes bloke, not sure what happened to him. Len Brewer was ok, if not a bit deadpan before he left for Israel. I really struggled with Derek Lacey's commentary - good luck to you if you could actually work out what was happening on the pitch or the score through the wheezing, coughing and random descriptions of Swansea prison amid phantom goals - nice bloke but let's be honest - horrible commentator.

Philips isn't a bad local radio commentator really and I've listened to a few from various localities over the years. He hasn't got a grating speech impediment like the Barrow lad used to and he doesn't sound camper than Larry Grayson. That being said, the reason he's stayed in his position for so long now is that nobody else thinks he's good enough to be promoted anywhere else - I'll bet he's applied for scores of "promotions" by now - however when they actually listen to his efforts his applications will be toast.

I haven't listened to him for years now (over five at least) he comes across as too much of an annoying simpleton on the microphone (I've already apologised in person to him once for insulting him - he can take it), no matter what he's like in reality.

So you're pretty much stuck with him unless anyone's stupid enough to give him a commentary / reporting position elsewhere. Maybe if Burton Albion get relegated a couple of times and are seeking a good fit BBC Derby will "headhunt" him.

Well he mentioned his blue tinted specs yesterday,that's because he wants every free kick,moans about refs,moans about sideline management tactics etc,the truth is he is a sour loser.If we are winning he less bothered about whats going on.The fear comes into the commentary and then moans why we are not doing this or not doing that out of pure desperation,sing when yer winning oh yes.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)