+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Not looking good for Mr Derry

I've never seen a manager celebrate as much as Derry did last season when Cambridge beat us at Meadow Lane.

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman25 View Post
    Out of curiousity, why? I caught the tail end of his playing days for us as I started going in about 97ish but we've had plenty of players that have played more than 80 games for us that I doubt would be welcomed back too well, is it purely because he came through our youth team? He should have had rotten food thrown at him for his time managing us imo.
    Many reasons. He's been a Notts fan all his life, came through our youth team to star in a record-breaking promotion campaign, went on to play in the Prem before coming back to start his managerial career at Notts, where he oversaw a quite remarkable 'Great Escape' before totally losing the plot. Plus he's a really likeable character who always gave his all. I would be absolutely ambarrassed if he got anything other than applause on his return to ML.

I hope he hangs on in their at Cambridge. I always thought if he could learn from the mistakes he made at Notts he would make a decent manager, but we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by CmonU***yStylishPies View Post
    I've never seen a manager celebrate as much as Derry did last season when Cambridge beat us at Meadow Lane.
    I'd say that was for the Trews more than anything.

If the owner or whoever at Cambridge has any sense of how a game of football should be played and saw the tactics used by Derry on Saturday he would shove Derry out the door quicker than you could say "It wasn't really a foul, ref, the manager told me to do that."

I don't really blame the players if they were under instruction to spoil the game and I don't blame Derry for wanting to beat us, but the way he set about it was shameful and I hope he gets booed again if he's ever lucky enough to manage another team and bring his shoddy style of play to Meadow Lane.

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    If the owner or whoever at Cambridge has any sense of how a game of football should be played and saw the tactics used by Derry on Saturday he would shove Derry out the door quicker than you could say "It wasn't really a foul, ref, the manager told me to do that."

I don't really blame the players if they were under instruction to spoil the game and I don't blame Derry for wanting to beat us, but the way he set about it was shameful and I hope he gets booed again if he's ever lucky enough to manage another team and bring his shoddy style of play to Meadow Lane.
    Shaun sends you his very best Christmas wishes, Lacko.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    Shaun sends you his very best Christmas wishes, Lacko.
    And from me to him, sidders, it was nothing personal you understand.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    Many reasons. He's been a Notts fan all his life, came through our youth team to star in a record-breaking promotion campaign, went on to play in the Prem before coming back to start his managerial career at Notts, where he oversaw a quite remarkable 'Great Escape' before totally losing the plot. Plus he's a really likeable character who always gave his all. I would be absolutely ambarrassed if he got anything other than applause on his return to ML.

I hope he hangs on in their at Cambridge. I always thought if he could learn from the mistakes he made at Notts he would make a decent manager, but we'll see.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post

I'm sure opposition supporters have said something similar about our tactics in the odd away match

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    I'm sure opposition supporters have said something similar about our tactics in the odd away match
    Derry is on his way out from Cambridge, he knows it and tried tactics to confuse the opposition, any manager would have tried to prevent a loss but only a few would allow one of his players to just fall on his arse without being touched to try and get a Notts man sent off. It was a shame the ref was looking the other way. Derry's player provoked the confrontation and then carried on, getting booed every time he touched the ball. Do you say opposition supporters accuse Notts of similar tactics? I dare say someone will search their memory and find an occasion where a Notts player fell over too easily, but that doesn't excuse the attempt on Saturday to convince a referee he had been struck and to send a player off.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post

I completely agree with this and these are exactly the reasons why I've always had a soft spot for him. I was hoping he'd progress as a manager too but it doesn't look like it's going to happen. It seems like he can't get away from the attritional mindset that allowed him to maximise his fairly modest talents into a pretty successful playing career.

He clearly has something about him, a great motivator and man manager, I wonder if he might be better suited to being an assistant manager though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast