+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Barnsley FC, on boxing day

Barnsley FC, on boxing day

Ok lads its that time of year again, when we're all putting on a bit of weight from extra turkey/beef/pork/lamb & beer/lager/cider/ale etc !!.

But Dec 26th is serious isnt it, its footy and we dont joke about our Tykes footy on here do we!!. So come on then, what are all of our memories about footy on this date.
    Didnt we hammer Hartlepool by about 5 or 6 on this day in 1978, and didnt we also have our game at Bury postponed a few years ago on this day for being rained off ?. (at what is a really terrible Gigg Lane ground anyway)
    Last edited by Acido; 23-12-2017 at 10:38 PM.

Boxing Day 1979, losing away at Grimsby 3-0, with a terrifying journey on a windy icy day in the back of a Robin Reliant van! Relieved to get home in one piece!!!

Sending us to Plymouth one year on boxing day .

Quote Originally Posted by Swazer16 View Post
    Boxing Day 1979, losing away at Grimsby 3-0, with a terrifying journey on a windy icy day in the back of a Robin Reliant van! Relieved to get home in one piece!!!
    Ohh the old Reliant Robin van/car eh, that makes me giggle Swaz.
    And Animal, I think that was at the end of 1990 wasnt it. And isnt that a despicable fixture at chrsitmas eh, for Barnsley to have to go down to Plymouth on boxing day!!.
    I was there on boxing day in 1991 against Port Vale by the way, and that 0-0 draw has got to be one of the most unforgettable games ever lol.

1996 stoke away. We were top ot league n flying. Mike Sheron scored the winner fot potters in a dour game

1977 Crewe at home, a cracking 4-0 win. Watched the first half from the ponte end, then walked round to the opposite end for the second half. Those were the days...

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    Ohh the old Reliant Robin van/car eh, that makes me giggle Swaz.
    And Animal, I think that was at the end of 1990 wasnt it. And isnt that a despicable fixture at chrsitmas eh, for Barnsley to have to go down to Plymouth on boxing day!!.
    I was there on boxing day in 1991 against Port Vale by the way, and that 0-0 draw has got to be one of the most unforgettable games ever lol.
    A can remember us gerrin six ageean Port Vale wun Boxing Day.

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    1996 stoke away. We were top ot league n flying. Mike Sheron scored the winner fot potters in a dour game
    It was absolutely freezing , snow on the roads and minus blue b ollocks .

I spent xmas eve and day in bed , proper man flu , honestly really badly , niver had a pint so tha knows how bad I was .

I was determined to go to Stoke no matter what despite feeling like shyte , top of the league at xmas , no way am I not going .

I don't think I've ever felt so rough at a match in all my life .

Boxing day 1980 , top of the table division 3 match at Saltergate Chesterfield .

Nearly 18k inside Saltergate that day , massive reds following , 6 or 7k at least .

0-0 but it was a cracking game as I remember .

0-2 against Stoke in 1986, one of their rare wins against us at our place. We turned that season around though to finish near mid table, and it all began with a 3-4 win at Hull the following week on new years day!.