+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Chesterfield game - stay or sack for manager

Walker maybe sitting on the bench because they don't see him as a midfielder. Yes he has certain attributes for the position. that is to say he can pass the ball and tackle to some degree. However, he has less pace than me and I am over 60!! The situation with Ray, Jones and Wintle has absolutely snookered the management team because it would have been reasonable to expect Jones back before now. As it is, I suspect Wintle is nearer a return than Jones or Ray. Ray should definitely not be rushed back because his would be considered a difficult injury to recover from. Jones may have to bite the bullet and maybe play through some discomfort. The bottom line is that Walker needs to find a bit of pace from somewhere or he ain't gonna make it as a player above National league, Which is a shame because he looks to have ability.
    On a different note, it really hacks me off that every time we get a good result it is because the team we are playing are so bad. This is totally unfair on the players. We beat Crawley comfortably on the day because we were easily 3 goals better than them. The following match they won fairly comfortably at "high flying" Accrington. So, let's give some credit where it is due!

Walker may or may not lack pace but as a midfielder on the very very few times he has been given the opportunity he has shown he is far superior to any central midfielder we have had in the team all season. He can tackle, he can pass, he can run with the ball, and he can shoot. Timmy name one of our midfield that can do all that. And please do not suggest the one who studies KL`s videos LOL.

I know you are not a fan of young Lowery and of course you are entitled to your view. However, I think you are wrong about him. I believe he is a very good player in the making, although I think had we had Wintle and Jones fit he would have had a break from the team. Walker definitely is very slow but I agree he can pass and tackle. And I would have given him a go in midfield. My theory is though, he is seen as a centre back and I suspect that is where he where he will finish up.

We were retaining possession !!! I thought we were supposed to attack attack when 2-0 up?

Why ruocol keeps pushing Walker I don't know. How may goals and assists has he contributed this season?
    By your definition of a midfielder he shouldn't be in the team

Quote Originally Posted by out0lunch View Post
    We were retaining possession !!! I thought we were supposed to attack attack when 2-0 up?

Why ruocol keeps pushing Walker I don't know. How may goals and assists has he contributed this season?
    By your definition of a midfielder he shouldn't be in the team
    Walker’s just too casual; don’t think he’s necessarily slow either. Playing in different positions probably hasn’t helped his development, in the short term; I think he’s struggled to adapt to a different club, and training environment. I’m optimistic that he’ll emerge as an important player. As for Lowery, and ruocul/lukcour (what happened to the ‘k’?) - I don’t think I’ve ever come across such a vindictive attitude! Midfielders come in all shapes and sizes and every team needs a mixture of them; different opponents may require different combinations against them. The best I’ve seen our midfield this season was the first half against Luton, with Ng, Pickering and Grant, flanked by Ainley & Cooper. Pickering & Ng allowed Grant a little bit of freedom to play. Lowery was injured at the time, but could easily slot into Grant’s role should that combination be needed again. He’s obviously had more game-time than anyone would’ve expected, due to Jones’s injury. If Jones can make it back, and not be immediately transferred, then we’ll have a good few combinations available for the second half of the season, especially with the likely return of Wintle, who the team has missed badly (which is great credit to him).

I feel sorry for Walker too as he has been asked to fill in so many different positons. Also agree with bigroof on Walkers development
    He will come good I am sure.

Quote Originally Posted by bigroof View Post
    The best I’ve seen our midfield this season was the first half against Luton, with Ng, Pickering and Grant, flanked by Ainley & Cooper.

Makes sense to me.
    That lineup has balance, width, numbers in the area of the park where it matters most - and a little bit of pace thrown in!
    So whether the middle 3 be Grant, Ng, Pickering, Walker, Lowery, A.N. Other, crucially it would mean we are not out-numbered!

Whether we get out-muscled, that's another question.

A milestone this game. Our first double of the season. Well done to the players, management team and most of all, those 300 plus travelling away fans. We are not sunk just yet. Plenty to play for over the second half of the season.

I think the issue with our midfield is the lack of pace . If you look back when the team was in the Championship we had loads of it and this helped the forwards to score goals . Now our midfield is so slow the opposition can sus out what we are trying to do before we even get to do it. All successful teams in any league have a midfield that is very mobile around the pitch. I do not think Walker fits this type of midfield

Quote Originally Posted by jamesdad View Post
    I think the issue with our midfield is the lack of pace . If you look back when the team was in the Championship we had loads of it and this helped the forwards to score goals . Now our midfield is so slow the opposition can sus out what we are trying to do before we even get to do it. All successful teams in any league have a midfield that is very mobile around the pitch. I do not think Walker fits this type of midfield
    I don't think it is lack of pace, Pickering and Lowery are not slow , neither is Grant. It's physicality and creativity. No one is brave enough in the centre to try and make something happen and thats because they're not protected.

I'd love to see us stop trying to accommodate two strikers and concentrate on controlling the ball, take some pressure off the defence and try and build attacks rather than smash and grab. Walker as a holding midfielder would do that.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast