+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: St Mirren

Just thought we might have learned our lesson after the first game at Paisley. Morgan scored two in that game as well. Almost the same type of goals, he loves to cut and have a shot from outside the box. If McMullan moves ever so slightly over he blocks the free kick being played out to Morgan in the first place.Second goal he got the break of the ball.
    Penalty miss was crucial,thought Fraser might have taken it because he was usually successful last year in the league cup shoot outs. We don't know what goes on in training so maybe McMullan had been successful there.It was a poor penalty though,right height and no power ok if keeper goes wrong way but he didn't. First half we were the better team but overall I thought they just edged it without being any great shakes.

the two goals we lost were soft, Morgan too easy losing his marker, no one coming out to block the shots, and didnt think the keeper covered himself in glory for either goal either.

Wouldn't blame the keeper. Both shots came through a lot of bodies. Morgan was completely unmarked to receive the first free kick.

We never came out the 2nd half after cruising the 1st.

Failing to score our 2nd penalty in a row definitely changed the game. St Mirren are mediocre and nothing to be feared. Two good finishes from them was the only difference imo.

I thought we were lucky to get no points.

BUT...it's only one game, both managers agreed beforehand it was far from being a title decider. Being 5 points behind with the entire 2nd half of the season to come, 54 points at stake, the result is not a disaster.
    What's more important now is to pick ourselves up from a bad performance & we have an early opportunity on Tuesday.

While I'm a big admirer of Tam Scobie and the leadership he brings to the team I thought he got roasted for pace last night while playing at full back. How far off a return is Murdoch? That would at least let Scobie go back to centre half and maybe move Quinn to centre mid (or God forbid put Toshney there).

Yep, Scobie gave away the free kick that led to first goal and was quite needless as Fraser,was in position to collect. Hate players getting played out of position seems like a trend at utd these days!

Quote Originally Posted by southwestarab View Post
    Wouldn't blame the keeper. Both shots came through a lot of bodies. Morgan was completely unmarked to receive the first free kick.
    Watching them back although they were soft goals I wouldn’t blame keeper.

First was just in wrong place for him. Too far away to block and hard and low so he couldn’t get hand there.

The second was either amazing or lucky - TBF great strike from Morgan. Who found the space between all the bodies and away from keeper

Two great strikes in otherwise very poor match. Our lack of intensity was concern.

We just need to win lots of matches now

My thought for the first goal was why does Quinn turn his body away from the ball. He could easily have blocked it.
    The penalty was awful, they should have had a player sent off but overall we are a bunch of bottle merchants. Nearly every time we have a big support in an important game we blow it. Even going back to the relegation season we had plenty of chances to do something but bottled it every time. I think we need to sort our mentality more than our ability (plus a few signings)

Quote Originally Posted by arabforbesie View Post
    My thought for the first goal was why does Quinn turn his body away from the ball. He could easily have blocked it.
    The penalty was awful, they should have had a player sent off but overall we are a bunch of bottle merchants. Nearly every time we have a big support in an important game we blow it. Even going back to the relegation season we had plenty of chances to do something but bottled it every time. I think we need to sort our mentality more than our ability (plus a few signings)
    Agree very poor performance last night . Same old with United. Goes back decades though the amount of big games we don't perform in. Great support last night as well.
    Need some signings in January or I fear we won't be going up. It's win the league or bust.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)