+ Visit Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nouvelle cuisine - Festive lunch at Hilton Hotel, St Andrews St

Nouvelle cuisine - Festive lunch at Hilton Hotel, St Andrews St

So, office lunch two weeks ago at the above placey, apparently Nick Nairn has the restaraunt.

Was at the Cults Hotel the previous weekend, lovely roast turkey with all the trimmings, excellent quality of food.

So, at the Hilton, out comes the starter, pork in my case, twa three tiny cubes on the plate, an artistic "swish" of some sauce or other. Ah well, only the starter, the main course of festive turkey will make up for it.

Eh.....no.

Similiar vein, 3 cubes of turkey, mashed tatties artistically zig zagged across the plate. No slabs of turkey, no stuffing, no sausages, no nothing like that.

I won't even mention the cheescake.

So, is this the Nouvelle cuisine that I thought came and went in the early 90? Can't fault the quality of the food, but the amount of it?

Very popular however, I'm told.

So, I'm putting it out there - what's the attaction with this kinda dining?

You should always have something to eat before you go to a poncey restaurant.

Quote Originally Posted by Feck_the_Huns View Post
    So, office lunch two weeks ago at the above placey, apparently Nick Nairn has the restaraunt.

Was at the Cults Hotel the previous weekend, lovely roast turkey with all the trimmings, excellent quality of food.

So, at the Hilton, out comes the starter, pork in my case, twa three tiny cubes on the plate, an artistic "swish" of some sauce or other. Ah well, only the starter, the main course of festive turkey will make up for it.

Eh.....no.

Similiar vein, 3 cubes of turkey, mashed tatties artistically zig zagged across the plate. No slabs of turkey, no stuffing, no sausages, no nothing like that.

I won't even mention the cheescake.

So, is this the Nouvelle cuisine that I thought came and went in the early 90? Can't fault the quality of the food, but the amount of it?

Very popular however, I'm told.

So, I'm putting it out there - what's the attaction with this kinda dining?
    I had the same thing in the Granite Park or fitever its called in Golden Square. Lovely food dont get me wrong but **** all of it and dearer than a normal meal.

Nae my cup of tea. I like a decent sized plate full

A worse thing than nae alot of food is paying for your chips etc. Nae looking at anyone...... Malmaison

The two "Yoofs" who gave Nairn a shiner may have been to his restaurant earlier. They perhaps heard him say that he had carried out a Christ like miracle, feeding the 500 off half a Turkey.

Probable, given your description of the portion sizes.

If i pay good money for food - i want a good portion to fill my fat belly up.

None of this small portion rubbish

Tell you another bug bear of mine. Deconstructed sh@t

For example a sandwich or a cheesecake. The clue is in the f@cking title. I asked for a cheesecake, not a craft project

You've lost me there pacman min.

What's a deconstructed sandwich?

Two slices of loaf and a lump of cheese?

Quote Originally Posted by donsdaft View Post
    You've lost me there pacman min.

What's a deconstructed sandwich?

Two slices of loaf and a lump of cheese?
    Literally a sannie in bits that you have to construct yourself. Happened a couple of times to me when ive wanted a sannie. Once in an airport and once in America

I don't suppose it's any cheaper because it's DIY

Mind you, I'm always moaning because they put bloody mayonnaise in everything.

If you order chips do you get a tattie, a peeler and a bottle of oil?

This brings me to my biggest pet hate of all.

Chips

If ( and it's a big if in the UK) I ever order anything with chips in a restaurant, then I dinna f'uckin expect someone to just pour some frozen chips straight from the freezer into the fat.

You're only paying these poor buggers minimum wage as it is, get them peeling tatties.

I like the poncey dining. It's about the taste and experience. I highly recommend 2-1-2-1-2 in Embra.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast