+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deid: 80s guff fitba legend

Deid: 80s guff fitba legend

Cyrille Regis. WBA's black ace from the 80s. Only 59

Quote Originally Posted by deedon View Post
    Cyrille Regis. WBA's black ace from the 80s. Only 59
    Younger folks should google
    Man Utd 3 v West Brom 5 from about 1978

Good player and one of my fav's from watching 80's football.

Quote Originally Posted by RedStarTorphins View Post
    Younger folks should google
    Man Utd 3 v West Brom 5 from about 1978
    Aye what a game that was. Enjoyed watching West Brom back in the day. Him and Cunningham were immese players. I wonder what their worth would be in todays market. Would big Ron gwt away with it today by calling those 2 players and Brendan Bateson the Three Degress.

Quote Originally Posted by phuxachemin View Post
    Aye what a game that was. Enjoyed watching West Brom back in the day. Him and Cunningham were immese players. I wonder what their worth would be in todays market. Would big Ron gwt away with it today by calling those 2 players and Brendan Bateson the Three Degress.
    There was another joke did the rounds of questionable taste back then.

WBA had Len Cantello and another boy whose name ended in an O, might have been Mayo or some such.

The joke was "Who are the 5 WBA players whose names end in O?"
    The answer was the two boys fa's name ended in O and three s***os.

Now this joke was doing the rounds in mainstream media places back then, I'm sure I read it in "Shoot" magazine FFS.

Thankfully, we've moved on a lot since then and it was the three high profile WBA boys that were at the forefront of change (and took obscene amounts of abuse).

Regis was a cracking big striker and 59 is afffa young.

RIP fella.

Quote Originally Posted by InversneckieDob View Post
    There was another joke did the rounds of questionable taste back then.

WBA had Len Cantello and another boy whose name ended in an O, might have been Mayo or some such.

The joke was "Who are the 5 WBA players whose names end in O?"
    The answer was the two boys fa's name ended in O and three s***os.

Now this joke was doing the rounds in mainstream media places back then, I'm sure I read it in "Shoot" magazine FFS.

Thankfully, we've moved on a lot since then and it was the three high profile WBA boys that were at the forefront of change (and took obscene amounts of abuse).

Regis was a cracking big striker and 59 is afffa young.

RIP fella.
    Twa three of that team deid now, if my memory is right. Laurie Cunningham died in 1999, and Im sure there was another player, Tony Brown or Batson os someone else

Quote Originally Posted by Feck_the_Huns View Post
    Twa three of that team deid now, if my memory is right. Laurie Cunningham died in 1999, and Im sure there was another player, Tony Brown or Batson os someone else
    Cunningham died in a car crash.....I still remember with a sizeable amount of shame the racist abuse he and two or three other black fellas got while playing for Orient at the Pitt in the Anglo-Scottish Cup circa 76.
    Equally ashamed that the 12 year old me joined in.

Cunningham died in a car crash.....I still remember with a sizeable amount of shame the racist abuse he and two or three other black fellas got while playing for Orient at the Pitt in the Anglo-Scottish Cup circa 76.
    Looking back, behaviour like that was reprehensible, but we all did things as 12 yr olds, that we later regret. Crazy to think now, that stuff like that went on all over the country.

The important thing now is, no way would our kids behave in that way now, the intergreted society that they were brought up in has seen to that.

It wasn't really racist , just abuse using a convenient trope
    unless the abuser really actually thinks that blacks are inferior etc, which isn't usually the case IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
    It wasn't really racist , just abuse using a convenient trope
    unless the abuser really actually thinks that blacks are inferior etc, which isn't usually the case IMO
    Whoah ! Not sure I agree with you there mate. I don't think we can analyse the thought processes of the offender and decide there are mitigating factors. If the words were racially offensive its racism clear and simple.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast