+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: January transfer window.... stick or twist ?

Quote Originally Posted by mistaram View Post
    Andy yes I know what you mean but its hard to get them to come and sit on the bench One of the best centre backs in the Championship is Clarke captain of Preston very good defender strong as a lion and not afraid to say what he thinks to his team mates
    Clarke is a decent player but if we are to sign someone I think it's time to look for a talent with age on his side, bringing in to many wrinklies isn't the way!

Quote Originally Posted by Manofpride View Post
    Clarke is a decent player but if we are to sign someone I think it's time to look for a talent with age on his side, bringing in to many wrinklies isn't the way!
    Anya seems almost certain to go, although I’ve never understood why such a versatile talent gets constantly overlooked, Martin and Olsson too may be on their way. That, if it happens, is going to bring in quite a bit and lead to quite considerable wage savings.
    For me the ‘midfield dynamo’ is what’s still missing, for that reason - along with Thorne and Ledley’s susceptibility to injury - I’d make strengthening midfield the main priority.

Not sure how important age is at this stage. Aren’t any imminent signings made to get us up rather than keep us there?
    If we do make it huge changes will be necessary anyway.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 29-12-2017 at 09:56 AM.

IF we were to make it save a couple of faces the starting XI would require radical overhaul just to survive the PL.

Carson would be able to make the step up comfortably, a fit Thorne, Vydra and Lawrence if on song. More could play PL level potentially as individuals but collectively way short.

This window should be all about this season, beyond that can be addressed in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Anya seems almost certain to go, although I’ve never understood why such a versatile talent gets constantly overlooked, Martin and Olsson too may be on their way. That, if it happens, is going to bring in quite a bit and lead to quite considerable wage savings.
    For me the ‘midfield dynamo’ is what’s still missing, for that reason - along with Thorne and Ledley’s susceptibility to injury - I’d make strengthening midfield the main priority.

Not sure how important age is at this stage. Aren’t any imminent signings made to get us up rather than keep us there?
    If we do make it huge changes will be necessary anyway.
    Agree that this window is for the now, but the now has got us where we are: ie the Ledley Huddlestone axis. If you get the midfield dynamo, who does he come in for? Do we break up these 2 or lose one of Russell or Weimann who are our current incumbents and actually playing OK. With your sales we would have maybe 5 million to play with - bit how would the newby fit in without disrupting our balance. Three at the back maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by roger_ramjet View Post
    Agree that this window is for the now, but the now has got us where we are: ie the Ledley Huddlestone axis. If you get the midfield dynamo, who does he come in for? Do we break up these 2 or lose one of Russell or Weimann who are our current incumbents and actually playing OK. With your sales we would have maybe 5 million to play with - bit how would the newby fit in without disrupting our balance. Three at the back maybe?
    If those sales go ahead Rog I’d certainly want more than £5m. Martin alone is worth more than that. He may not fit our system but, petulant child outburst apart, he proved his worth at Fulham and was regularly doing the business for us before that.

Think you have to have a Plan B that involves greater midfield mobility and consider carefully how likely it is that Huddlestone, Ledley and Thorne stay fit for the next four and a half months. I know injuries can happen to anyone but those three all have plenty of ‘previous’.

So would you be looking for another more defensive minded central midfielder as cover? Like kieftnbald or whatever his name was? Thorne is more versatile and at the moment his game time as sub seems to come in a different position (on for Vydra as we shut games down with the lead - which we have got pretty good at now). Talking of perma-injured players, can we not use Hanson as 4th string CDM cover?

I would be surprised if we get more than £5m for Martin - Anya's value must be down to next to nothing as he cannot even get on the bench in a team that I think could use his versatility (on the bench) to cover a couple of positions. Maybe his versatility is in fact his downfall - jack of all trades etc. Olsen I would be inclined to keep at least until Max Lowe can re-establish himself (is he still injured?)

Quote Originally Posted by roger_ramjet View Post
    So would you be looking for another more defensive minded central midfielder as cover? Like kieftnbald or whatever his name was? Thorne is more versatile and at the moment his game time as sub seems to come in a different position (on for Vydra as we shut games down with the lead - which we have got pretty good at now). Talking of perma-injured players, can we not use Hanson as 4th string CDM cover?

I would be surprised if we get more than £5m for Martin - Anya's value must be down to next to nothing as he cannot even get on the bench in a team that I think could use his versatility (on the bench) to cover a couple of positions. Maybe his versatility is in fact his downfall - jack of all trades etc. Olsen I would be inclined to keep at least until Max Lowe can re-establish himself (is he still injured?)
    Remember when he got some regular starts when GT got injured? He was a more than adequate backup then. Surely, given a run of games he would again. Since that successful run he had, he has, indeed, had injury problems of his own but when played he has been right back and right hand side of midfield, not the DM he is (can be).

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Remember when he got some regular starts when GT got injured? He was a more than adequate backup then. Surely, given a run of games he would again. Since that successful run he had, he has, indeed, had injury problems of his own but when played he has been right back and right hand side of midfield, not the DM he is (can be).
    Good point. Forgotten all about Hanson.
    Anja is still a regular international though...albeit only for Scotland.
    Re, Olsson...I think both Baird and Wisdom can, at a push, cover left back.

Sorry, meant to quote RR.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 29-12-2017 at 02:22 PM.

... and we have Lowe for left back.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)