+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Memory Lane: Possibly my favourite ever NCFC transfer rumour piece

I never did (or still do) understand this money = cheats thing! Never mind Munto and us, we were mugged, but the money/cheat thing in general.
    How can any club, not matter which league or division, achieve success these days without buying it? Long gone are the days of young lads spotted and making a successful transition through the reserves into the first team. Everything about football revolves around money, you have it, you will be a relative success, you don't have it, you struggle until you go under.

Very very true ... not only the transfer fee but the wages as well. Admittedly the top players need and deserve a good wedge but come on - guessing the average prem league player earns £25000(?) per week - it's bloody obscene.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Don_ORiordan View Post
    Excellent. I always remember the quote on the BBC site that someone sent in for transfer deadline day. "It's like Notts County have activated the cheat function on football manager"

Those were the most bizarre days of the club. Quite simply unbelievable times.

As a certain infamous Austrian once said :
    "The bigger the lie, the more will believe it."
    Spot on. As Derren Brown remarked in one of his TV shows, people instinctively see things through the eyes of believers. They desperately want to believe in a dream, and if you can manufacture just a few illusions which appear to confirm the reality of that dream, it is amazing how much contradictory evidence they are willing to ignore.

Quote Originally Posted by seriouspie View Post
    guessing the average prem league player earns £25000(?) per week - it's bloody obscene.
    Double that amount and you're getting close:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42130297

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Spot on. As Derren Brown remarked in one of his TV shows, people instinctively see things through the eyes of believers. They desperately want to believe in a dream, and if you can manufacture just a few illusions which appear to confirm the reality of that dream, it is amazing how much contradictory evidence they are willing to ignore.
    So, so true ... sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by ancientpie View Post
    Not a player but I remember a very strong rumour that Rod Stewart was about to buy us out in the 70s, it was around the time that Elton took over Watford which added a bit to the story & as Rod was & still is one of my favourite artists it would have been a perfect fit for me.

Not only that but he wanted to rename the ground Gasoline Alley.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12