+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Memory Lane: Possibly my favourite ever NCFC transfer rumour piece

Memory Lane: Possibly my favourite ever NCFC transfer rumour piece

From the Grauniad on August 17th 2009....

Name:  GRAUNIAD.jpg
Views: 874
Size:  20.7 KB

Excellent. I always remember the quote on the BBC site that someone sent in for transfer deadline day. "It's like Notts County have activated the cheat function on football manager"

Those were the most bizarre days of the club. Quite simply unbelievable times.

As a certain infamous Austrian once said :
    "The bigger the lie, the more will believe it."

I seem to remember David Beckham and Roberto Carlos also linked with Notts. Bizarre.

Remember back in the early 80's, the talk in the Main Stand was that we were about to sign an International goalkeeper. The rumour was it was going to Peter Shilton, him from across the river, part of the rumour was true mind.....the International bit........Who did we end up with......bloody Seamus McDonuts the Irish International

Not a player but I remember a very strong rumour that Rod Stewart was about to buy us out in the 70s, it was around the time that Elton took over Watford which added a bit to the story & as Rod was & still is one of my favourite artists it would have been a perfect fit for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ancientpie View Post
    Not a player but I remember a very strong rumour that Rod Stewart was about to buy us out in the 70s, it was around the time that Elton took over Watford which added a bit to the story & as Rod was & still is one of my favourite artists it would have been a perfect fit for me.
    Wouldn't fancy playing in green and white hoop shirts though "ancient" and image him turning up to matches in those bloody awful tight leopard skin trousers......

Quote Originally Posted by Wedgie_pie View Post
    Wouldn't fancy playing in green and white hoop shirts though "ancient" and image him turning up to matches in those bloody awful tight leopard skin trousers......
    At this time I worked in Brisbane CBD and I remember getting the train home and got the free Metro Paper. Bear in mind this is South East Queensland a long way from Nottingham. Notts were the headline piece in the sports section the day Sven joined. I felt like I was reading the red rag with an equally appalling standard of journalism to match.

Quote Originally Posted by ancientpie View Post
    Heard that rumour in the 80s before Pavis took over

Quote Originally Posted by The_Don_ORiordan View Post
    Excellent. I always remember the quote on the BBC site that someone sent in for transfer deadline day. "It's like Notts County have activated the cheat function on football manager"

Those were the most bizarre days of the club. Quite simply unbelievable times.

As a certain infamous Austrian once said :
    "The bigger the lie, the more will believe it."
    You didn't have to believe it, you just had to roll with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bohinen View Post
    You didn't have to believe it, you just had to roll with it.
    It was ironclad after all......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast