+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The elephant in the room

The elephant in the room

...can we discuss Rafa's negativity without it descending into an insult free-for-all?

I'm not in the (admittedly small) 'Rafa Out' camp-I want him as our manager and understand the limitations of what he's working with and why.

But...

he can't have a free pass which prevents any criticism.

Today was as much about the negative approach to our play as it was the limitations of our players. Man City I could understand but today? We weren't closing players down, there was almost no intensity in our play, long balls were launched aimlessly, we didn't commit players forward when we needed to, the fact that Joselu even started never mind why he was left on for as long as he was. It looked for all the world as if we were just trying to keep it tight and maybe nick one. Away from home, maybe, but not at home against Brighton.

Sorry. Maybe I should have waited a bit before posting rather than as soon as I got in but that was shite, we are shite and we're shite to watch. You can have a go about the first part of my post but you'll find it hard to argue with any of that last bit. Sadly.

Rant over.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    ...can we discuss Rafa's negativity without it descending into an insult free-for-all?

I'm not in the (admittedly small) 'Rafa Out' camp-I want him as our manager and understand the limitations of what he's working with and why.

But...

he can't have a free pass which prevents any criticism.

Today was as much about the negative approach to our play as it was the limitations of our players. Man City I could understand but today? We weren't closing players down, there was almost no intensity in our play, long balls were launched aimlessly, we didn't commit players forward when we needed to, the fact that Joselu even started never mind why he was left on for as long as he was. It looked for all the world as if we were just trying to keep it tight and maybe nick one. Away from home, maybe, but not at home against Brighton.

Sorry. Maybe I should have waited a bit before posting rather than as soon as I got in but that was shite, we are shite and we're shite to watch. You can have a go about the first part of my post but you'll find it hard to argue with any of that last bit. Sadly.

Rant over.

your last paragraph sms up what i have been saying for ages

we ran out of ideas today
    rafa has run his course

brighton took the game to us and rafa hadnt an idea

against a team we should be beating at home
    easily

by his own targets he has under performed

he set 20 points this year
    he hasnt delivered

and lets face it we are always conservative when setting our own targets

a loss at stoke and he has to go

im just glad they have the injuries they do
    as we need all the help we can get under rafa

i was of the opinion he put out an attacking team today, probably our best 11.

but we are not good enough, which is what the man himself stated before a ball was kicked this season AND again as the transfer window closed.

we are struggling through with a sub standard squad

if there’s no investment we’ll be going down, with or without him. Our hope now is for some quality signings next month tho that’s not likely.

We don't have anyone who is capable of scoring goals at this level.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneymcRingRing View Post
    if there’s no investment we’ll be going down, with or without him. Our hope now is for some quality signings next month tho that’s not likely.
    Well if we do get new players we will be shopping in the £shop while other clubs in the relegation battle will be signing £20m players that's the difference, clubs down bottom have some £20m players we have a lot of £5m players..... 😒 Ashley u c*nt

Based on today that’s a fair assessment Zip.

However, it’s not always been the case...and for the start of the season out manager had these players performing way above their level... and even in some of the games we have lost it’s not like we weren’t going for it or creating chances.

If we didn’t have Rafa, we could easily be adrift in the relegation zone.

Joselu, Mitrovic and Gayle - not much to play with there!

Joselu, signed because it was him or nobody.

Mitrovic - would have been long gone and replaced if Rafa had his way.

Gayle - would also have been sold and replaced in the summer but for a lack of ambition by the club.

Rafa knows that we won't score many goals with those 3 so he plays more defensively. He has been pointing out these issues for ages so why are we surprised that we aren't scoring against average teams.

Be hard to beat until January and pick up points where you can - that's what he is trying to do. Then pray that he can offload some of the rubbish and pray that he can bring in some quality.

He has also always been defensively minded so why are we surprised with the current situation?? If he keeps us up it will be an outstanding achievement given the hurdles that are put in his way!

We played badly today. It happens.

I think my main criticism of this team is :
    1. Passing
    2. Passing
    3. Holding on to the ball
    All totally abysmal, they couldn't pass a sh!te if they had diarrhea !!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)