+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where will we finish?

Where will we finish?

As the new year is nearly upon us, I thought it a good time for some predictions for where we'll finish.

Whatever our league position, we're not performing like a promotion winning side and our current form will eventually see us drift down the table as the chasing pack catches up. Do we have what it takes to maintain an automatic spot?

I'm saying no, but playoffs should be possible - if we strengthen in Jan.

Our tactics have become too predictable, and we lack quality and strength in depth - our bench yesterday was as bad as anything I've seen really. It's fair to say that as a team we are greater than the sum of our parts, so kudos to KN for getting us organised and working as a unit. But does he have the tactical acumen to change it up when needed? Only time will tell.

If we bring in some fresh faces in Jan, I predict we'll lose to Mansfield in the playoff semis (home and away), then rebuild over the summer as Stead and Ameobi hang up their boots. If we fail to strengthen in Jan, however, I fear we could even find ourselves slipping out the top 7 - once that small gap goes, it's just so tight at the top.

All depends on who we bring in in January. It sounds like yesterday was just a bad day at the office and they would have been buoyed by the news that the likes of Shola and dare I say Duffy (because he is acting captain) were missing resulting in a shuffling of the pack.

I think a decent CH and a forward with a bit of pace will be all we need to sustain a top 3 position. This based on what we have seen of this league so far and the fact that if nothing else our results,certainly at home, have been pretty consistent compared to most.

Noble + young pacey GOALSCORER + no nonsense centre back = top 3

Noble + no other = top 8

Much depends on the effect of Noble followed by the possible addition of a new striker (almost certain to be a loanee), but I would say that Notts are now where they will finish.

Anyone think Hewitt could make the grade at centre half, with him, Duffers, Brisley and Bird that should be enough, this would allow Nobsa to take his place in centre mid with Yates ( dont rate Walker), therefore allowing another striker and wide player ( one who actually has a go at full backs) to come in.
    Seems nailed on Thompson (who i rate) and Hollis will go out when the window opens.

The question for me is, when we start hitting the ball long, is that really Nolans intention? Or are the players not following what they are asked to do.

No doubt the instruction to the back line is to not take any chances, but that does not equate to long ball every time.

We seem to play worst when constantly hitting Stead with long balls. That simply cannot be Nolan's instruction. Nothing wrong with it as an "out ball".

Where we will finish for me depends more on injuries and style of play than who we bring in.

Grant is a waste of a shirt unless we play the ball on the ground as is Stead.

We need to give grant room by playing the more agile (if less hoof it) Jones.

We need Ameobi fit. And we need a pacey impact sub (forte is still ok for me).

But most importantly, we need to work hard at not hitting the ball long to Stead. Time and time again.

We are good enough to finish top three. And I see no reason to doubt it. Have we seen 3 teams in this division far better than us?

I'm not sure that anything can be projected from the result at Swindon to the season as a whole. There were changes made from the side at Morecambe that seemed to take us backwards. It's a shame that having discovered that playing Jones released Grant to be more effective, this was not followed through for the next game. Maybe KN thinks two games in three days is too much for modern day professionals or maybe he feels he has to be fair to all his squad to keep them happy, I don't know. It didn't work, that's for sure, but he's still learning.

I don't think we will secure any marquee signings, because AH is still learning too. He seems to have a strategy of bidding low then getting angry and storming off when his bid isn't accepted. It all got a bit embarrassing with Noble even if we got him in the end (although not match fit because he hasn't played matches). I anticipate a lot of brinkmanship then ultimately a transfer deadline busting loan of an inexperienced striker from a higher division.

On that basis, I am going for 7th.

I always felt at the start of the season we would be between 8th and 12th. We havn't had a bad patch yet and most teams do at some stage. Decisions made south of the Trent could have an effect given this mornings news. Sadly I'm a bit of a pessimist so I am still thinking we will be just outside the playoffs. Hope I'm proved wrong and we go up.

Quote Originally Posted by nottsco2002 View Post
    I always felt at the start of the season we would be between 8th and 12th. We havn't had a bad patch yet and most teams do at some stage. Decisions made south of the Trent could have an effect given this mornings news. Sadly I'm a bit of a pessimist so I am still thinking we will be just outside the playoffs. Hope I'm proved wrong and we go up.

Wherever we finish, it looks like it will be a massive improvement on last season. 2 decent signings in the tranny window and 3rd for me.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    Wherever we finish, it looks like it will be a massive improvement on last season. 2 decent signings in the tranny window and 3rd for me.
    A win tomorrow and we've hit 50pts!
    Then we can aim for the sky!
    Realistically without another striker we'll keep dropping points, but if we drop out of the top 7 from this stage then its a bit of a failure.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast