+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: David Artell

David Artell

is seriously kidding himself when he keeps on about our team being inconsistent. They actually are quite the opposite. In truth they are quite a consistent team. They are consistently very poor. For that I do not blame the players. I 100% blame the manager. His team selection for most of the season has been bizzare.

Most of his strange selections has to be based around our midfield. It is not necessary to name them but for most games he persists in picking three out of our four midfielder who cannot tackle, are not defensively minded, and most certainly not physically strong enough to compete with league2 football. At least three of any teams midfield in league2 has to be physically strong and competitive. We do not have that. For me that is why we are consistently losing.

I agree with your comments on the midfield, Our academy teaches young players not to tackle so when they eventually get to the first team we start to have problems. Again I say our midfield is not fast enough and we play football that the opposition see before it actually happens. We need to target players who can give us a new dimension to our midfield and then results may go our way

Quote Originally Posted by ruocul View Post
    But our manager is a commited pro academy enthusiast

Why is that a problem though?
    Have you not noticed how this club is run?
    We are not like other clubs who like to buy in and maybe compliment them with “one of our own”, quite the opposite – but that’s hardly breaking news!
    The issue is we don’t currently seem to be able to produce another Powell, Murph or Westy – not just yet anyway – but I still believe another gem will be unearthed again soon. He may even be a slow-burner already in the 1st team right now.

Of course, the real question is: Should we abandon that policy, or at least slim it down? Arguments for either as many have said on here ad nauseam for months/years!! But until the powers that be agree, that won’t change and we live with it!!

As for whether DA is the right man to continue in the role, I look around at other clubs and especially the managerial merry-go-round (and what a bloody merry-go-round - Pulis, Pardew, Carvahal and so it goes on!!) and think – could we do better – in the longer term?? I’m not so sure. Because he is an advocate of what we stand for and because we are still getting some good results in between bad, I actually think he deserves a lot more time because he might just get this right.

I notice we lost with Lowery missing from the engine room on Saturday ........whereas today?
    Good to see Walker on the scoresheet too. Maybe, just maybe, CH is his best position after all.

Don’t tell me – Grimsby were god awful!!
    I would never have guessed!!!

Grimsby were poor, but poor opposition should never detract from our wins. Damn it all, we are more than capable of losing to sides who are poor so we should praise our team when we win games we should win.
    We have several players currently in the side who are products of our Academy and are doing very well thank you very much. Well, more often than not. Cooper was very good today as was Ainley and Lowery. Cooper might not have scored many this season but he has provided most of our goals and Ainley just looks a damn good player. These youngsters are still learning the game and we should be showing them patience

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy58 View Post
    Grimsby were poor, but poor opposition should never detract from our wins. Damn it all, we are more than capable of losing to sides who are poor so we should praise our team when we win games we should win.
    We have several players currently in the side who are products of our Academy and are doing very well thank you very much. Well, more often than not. Cooper was very good today as was Ainley and Lowery. Cooper might not have scored many this season but he has provided most of our goals and Ainley just looks a damn good player. These youngsters are still learning the game and we should be showing them patience
    We all see things differently in a match and I would say that Grimsby were not that bad. We were better and deserved our win overall. Best team in the first half and should have scored a couple more. After the break and probably a talking to from their manager, the opposition did mount more attacks in the second period, but we kept their number of attempts down to a minimum, by deploying a solid defence. Yes, we are still lightweight in midfield, but on our budget we cannot have everything. It would be nice if we could sign a midfield general on loan in the window, now that Grant is returning to Everton. Artell has made a mistake in signing him, but then again, he cannot get it right all the time. The likes of Cook are difficult to entice to a struggling L2 side. Yes, we have had some howlers (Swindon springs to mind), but the games viewed a year ago were far worse than they are now. At least the players generally give their all for the cause and today was no exception. Is that 3 wins from the last 5 games now? You cannot get rid of the manager just yet. The last one had a lot longer to get things right. Plus, as the stadium announcer responded at the final whistle: "Bringing on Back the Good Times". Those who went today will know what I mean. Personally, I think there is quite a way to go before we can really say that the club are on the way back to better times, although we can live in hope and perhaps, with patience, things will get gradually better.
    Last edited by alexmick; 01-01-2018 at 06:53 PM.

I agree with Mick. Grimsby were far from bad; we were just a lot better - the best I've seen us play for a long time. Cambridge were poor - and trounced us; Crawley were poor - and we beat them.
    Since winning at Wembley all those years ago, I have been patient, and my patience ran thin some time ago. The frustration on the pitch has seeped into my bones.
    We seem to do well when Dave Artell joins the fans in the main stand and doesn't argue with the 4th official, linesman, opposition manager/coach. Is there a lesson to be learned here? Almost invariably, after the half time 'talk' we return to the pitch in exactly the same frame of mind as the first half, while the opposition perk up. Is there a lesson here?
    All credit to those lads who performed so well on New Years Day after such an awful debacle two days before.