+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How to kick your own support in the teeth.

I remember this being a topic before, when an away team brought a drum to Tannadice and there was a complaint about it from the neighbouring houses. Let's face it, a drum is gonna do **** all to improve the atmosphere. We had a singing section that fell flat on its face because no one joined in. As said, what we need is decent football.

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    I remember this being a topic before, when an away team brought a drum to Tannadice and there was a complaint about it from the neighbouring houses. Let's face it, a drum is gonna do **** all to improve the atmosphere. We had a singing section that fell flat on its face because no one joined in. As said, what we need is decent football.
    It’s the chicken or the egg, the cart or the horse. Provide winning entertaining football on the pitch and they will sing!

atmosphere will come when the team on the park get the crowd off their seats which they have in every home game since Ray left imo.

i couldnt care less about a drum as it does nothing to improve the atmosphere but annoy people who dont like drums haha

getting more fans through the door will create more of an atmosphere (e.g. like the accies game last season)

Thompson sold all our best players, you never batted an eyelid.

Thompson hired a string of less than useless managers that have taken us from bad to worse, and you never batted an eyelid.

Thompson alienated the fans, told numerous lies, creating divisions amongst the support that will take years to mend, you never batted an eyelid.

Thompson managed to take in roughly eight figures in player sales, yet still somehow turned us into the financial basketcase you see today, with every last remaining asset the club has left mortgaged and held as collateral against the club's survival, you never batted an eyelid.

Thompson appointed a number of charlatans and yes-men to run his business for him so he could go off gallavanting to Bondi Beach several times a year while still drawing a six-figure salary, you never batted an eyelid.

Thompson dragged the club's name through the mud with all of his sleazy, sordid personal affairs, you never batted an eyelid.

Thompson almost single-handedly took a Club from perennial top-4 finishers, with regular cup final appearances and European nights to the renowned footballing colosseums of Glebe Park and The YOUR Radio 103FM Stadium, in a time that Usain Bolt would be proud of, you never batted an eyelid.

But.....Thompson refused to let you come and do everyone's tits in with your drum, and it's merry phucking hell for Baldy and co. Demanding resignations, leading the rebels down Tannadice Street, pitchforks in hand, yellow scarves over the shoulders chanting sack the board!

Knew you'd snap one day Smedka.

Class hahaha!

Quote Originally Posted by DerryJungle View Post
    Thompson sold all our best players, you never batted an eyelid.

Thompson hired a string of less than useless managers that have taken us from bad to worse, and you never batted an eyelid.

Thompson alienated the fans, told numerous lies, creating divisions amongst the support that will take years to mend, you never batted an eyelid.

Thompson managed to take in roughly eight figures in player sales, yet still somehow turned us into the financial basketcase you see today, with every last remaining asset the club has left mortgaged and held as collateral against the club's survival, you never batted an eyelid.

Thompson appointed a number of charlatans and yes-men to run his business for him so he could go off gallavanting to Bondi Beach several times a year while still drawing a six-figure salary, you never batted an eyelid.

Thompson dragged the club's name through the mud with all of his sleazy, sordid personal affairs, you never batted an eyelid.

Thompson almost single-handedly took a Club from perennial top-4 finishers, with regular cup final appearances and European nights to the renowned footballing colosseums of Glebe Park and The YOUR Radio 103FM Stadium, in a time that Usain Bolt would be proud of, you never batted an eyelid.

But.....Thompson refused to let you come and do everyone's tits in with your drum, and it's merry phucking hell for Baldy and co. Demanding resignations, leading the rebels down Tannadice Street, pitchforks in hand, yellow scarves over the shoulders chanting sack the board!

Knew you'd snap one day Smedka.
    Don't endorse this but

Quote Originally Posted by USArab View Post
    It’s the chicken or the egg, the cart or the horse. Provide winning entertaining football on the pitch and they will sing!
    Nah, complete poppycock, I’ve never seen a chicken or a horse inside Tannadice

A bunch of very well-meaning young supporters were allocated a small 'singing section' at the west end of the GF Lower. But in no time at all a neighbour in Sandeman Street complained about the noise and the club said 'sorry, enough'.

Tannadice Park has been there for over 100 years and inherited Sandeman Street neighbours in the 30s. Complaining about the noise? That's got to be a lie. Or a set-up. It was like the club couldn't wait to ditch the idea.

There is an awful lot wrong with the governance of the club at present but when I see them doing less than nothing to let the support support, to improve the atmosphere at games and when I see them actually standing in the way of improving it, well it just grinds so much.

Instead, it's the club who should be encouraging fans to improve the atmosphere, the lead should come from within. A vocal support could be worth 10 points a season which could be very valuable. It's not about drums, it's about the club & the fans working as one.

Quote Originally Posted by ahlltanyirhide View Post
    Nah, complete poppycock, I’ve never seen a chicken or a horse inside Tannadice
    Not true, Tam McManus was a bit of a cock and Chic Young is a horses arse. So there!

Like SmedDum says Tanny has been there for many a year and no doubt in the past with far bigger crowds and more noisy atmospheres, particularly when the ground was open to the elements, therefore noise escaped more easily. However 'neighbours' expectation change over the years, but a little noise every other Saturday and occasional evenings should be expected after all it is a fairly large public occasion as far as the Tangerine half are concerned. A little 'carnival atmosphere' goes on at most grounds in other countries and no doubt in the UK, i.e. Making the game more of an occasion to be enjoyed, both inside and outside the ground.

My only worry about living in the area, if I did, is the anti-social actions of the few (I'll leave you to imagine) that blight the game and often occur outside the ground itself. To use an analogy of the friendly snow ball fight at St Mirren, this sort of behaviour endears you to those that are less concerned about football, i.e. The neighbours and we get along fine. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)