+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will we reach the finishing line in 2018

Will we reach the finishing line in 2018

If we can collect more points in the second half of the season then I think we'll be a promoted side, can we do it?

In the last few weeks I've got carried away and thinking we're up already then I look at the league table then realise we are only half way through the season and think we've been here before, in saying that we have bounced right back after defeats which in previous seasons we've not been able to do.

So here's hoping Rowett has got the bottle monkey off the players backs and makes them believe they can finish the job in 2018!

I wanted a top 6 finish but now I'd be disappointed if we don't make top two.

HNY MoP. In reality I feel, if the Premiership is all but done then we have to consider Wolves too to be pretty much out of sight. So, just one of the auto places to play for really.
    Can’t see anyone outside the current top nine contesting the four play off spots so that’s eight clubs vying for five places. We’ve got to see a major collapse in form and confidence for us not to make the play offs imo, but as for 2nd...I see Boro’ and Bristol City as our biggest threats but so much will come down to fitness, luck with injuries and possibly who strengthens best in the window.
    Much more of a chance than anyone thought likely two months ago though.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 01-01-2018 at 11:32 AM.

MoP, easy answer, combination of hope and belief. YES.

I think we are where everybody hoped we would be way back in August but not where we all expected. Barring a spectacular crash we should now be a shoe in for the playoffs but as we know, Cardiff and Brizzle are just 1 point away and the 7th placed team is a mere 6 away so top 2 will be a long and hard fight.

Playoffs yes. Beyond that - too early to tell.

Long way to go we are only just past half way so plenty of big games to come.

We have a period in April where we play Villa, Boro and Wolves (the 3 sides I expect to be the biggest threats) inside 4 games I think it was.

Points accumulation against the lesser sides will be paramount starting with the game at Birmingham. There is only a very small number of teams with little to play for as the majority either have the play offs or a relegation battle to consider.

At the top there is generally one side that comes off the pace to make a challenge, Brentford or Fulham maybe?

Now the festive break is over I'm sure Rowett won't rush anyone back and will use the Cup tie as extra rest time for the likes of Ledley.

Yesterday was a disappointment but turned out to be a point won which was better than Cardiff and Bristol City and equal to Sheff Utd and Leeds so not catastrophic. Wins for Boro and Villa have bunched it up all the more.

We could get 2nd place or miss out altogether, it's that tight.

I expect play offs now as a minimum.

Come on Derby.

Quote Originally Posted by ManxRam View Post
    Long way to go we are only just past half way so plenty of big games to come.

We have a period in April where we play Villa, Boro and Wolves (the 3 sides I expect to be the biggest threats) inside 4 games I think it was.

Points accumulation against the lesser sides will be paramount starting with the game at Birmingham. There is only a very small number of teams with little to play for as the majority either have the play offs or a relegation battle to consider.

At the top there is generally one side that comes off the pace to make a challenge, Brentford or Fulham maybe?

Now the festive break is over I'm sure Rowett won't rush anyone back and will use the Cup tie as extra rest time for the likes of Ledley.

Yesterday was a disappointment but turned out to be a point won which was better than Cardiff and Bristol City and equal to Sheff Utd and Leeds so not catastrophic. Wins for Boro and Villa have bunched it up all the more.

We could get 2nd place or miss out altogether, it's that tight.

I expect play offs now as a minimum.

Come on Derby.
    Doubt we’ll miss the play offs Manx but yesterday suggested two things to me, one positive and one not so.
    We were seriously second best yesterday, especially in the second half, but we didn’t ‘bottle’ it in the way that has been so familiar in the past.
    For me only Davies, Huddlestone, Nugent and Vydra - until he picked up that late first half knock - seemed to be anything like fully up for it but despite that they kept fighting and kept working for each other. It was a hard earned and not entirely deserved - on the run of play - point but one we wouldn’t have got this time last year or earlier in the season.
    Less positively perhaps...I think it does show how we definitely need to use this ‘window’. Without Ledley we were dreadfully lacking. Johnson just doesn’t work in that role and Thorne was little better...just looked knackered after playing ninety minutes at Ipswich and I’m not sure he didn’t do himself some damage in that tackle that earned him a booking.
    One of the things - for the second time this season - Sheffield United had that we didn’t, was greater ‘legs’ and workrate in midfield. We were overrun in terms of energy and winning the 50/50’s and I think this, at least, needs addressing quickly this month.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 02-01-2018 at 09:23 AM.

A dozen points cover 9 places and 7pts between us and seventh. Still 60pts up for grabs and I think Sheff Utd the only top ten side we've played twice so I'm taking nothing for granted.

It's true we have more resilience which is a major positive on previous campaigns. I've also said we need legs in midfield. Neither Huddlestone or Thorne are going to form part of your teams 4 x 100 relay are they? They can both direct play but when you are getting over ran in the middle 3rd you need that box to box runner.

More positives than negatives but still work to do.

Quote Originally Posted by ManxRam View Post
    A dozen points cover 9 places and 7pts between us and seventh. Still 60pts up for grabs and I think Sheff Utd the only top ten side we've played twice so I'm taking nothing for granted.

It's true we have more resilience which is a major positive on previous campaigns. I've also said we need legs in midfield. Neither Huddlestone or Thorne are going to form part of your teams 4 x 100 relay are they? They can both direct play but when you are getting over ran in the middle 3rd you need that box to box runner.

More positives than negatives but still work to do.
    I keep looking back at the depth of our squad, and we have one supposed midfielder who has always appeared to have energy to burn - Ikechi Anya. two Q's. 1. Has the game moved on to the extent that footballers can't adapt to a different position (we appeared to buy Anya as a winger) and 2. Did he step on Rowett's foot or something?

In answer to Q2 I think it must have been worse than that - either shot his mum or shagged his missus at least, as nothing less could explain the complete sidelining of what I think is a decent versatile international player (albeit for Scotland).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)