+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jon Forte

Jon Forte

What a frustrating player Jon Forte is!

In the last home game, he came on as sub and worked his backside off for 20 minutes, despite picking up a knock, and undoubtedly played a significant part in getting us back from 3-0 down.

Today, he earns his first-team start on the back of that performance and shows nowhere near the same level of work rate, rarely running the channels and generally just waiting for the ball to come to him. His body language got worse as the game went on, and the only person in the ground who could have been surprised when he was substituted was him. Young Callum then came on and did everything Forte hadn't.

The life of a striker is that you'll get games when the ball never drops for you or you're not getting the right service, so you might not score that day, but you can still show so much aggression and work so hard that the manager will keep you on the pitch if only to annoy hell out of the opposition defenders.

I hate hearing the old "He's not that sort of player" excuse. There should be no other "sort" of player. As far as I'm concerned, you can't control the amount of natural talent and pace you're blessed with, but there isn't a footballer anywhere at any level who is not capable of showing hard work, aggression and sheer desire. These attributes do not require God-given talent, and there are a fair few otherwise limited players who have reached even the Premier League level through sheer week-in, week out application. It's all about how much you want it.

Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo are blessed with phenomenal talent, but they've got the desire and hunger to go with it, which is why they are absolute world class.
    Last edited by jackal2; 01-01-2018 at 06:33 PM.

Maybe he isn't fully fit

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post

In the last home game, he came on as sub and worked his backside off for 20 minutes, despite picking up a knock, and undoubtedly played a significant part in getting us back from 3-0 down.

Today, he earns his first-team start on the back of that performance and shows nowhere near the same level of work rate, rarely running the channels and generally just waiting for the ball to come to him. His body language got worse as the game went on, and the only person in the ground who could have been surprised when he was substituted was him. Young Callum then came on and did everything Forte hadn't.

The life of a striker is that you'll get games when the ball never drops for you or you're not getting the right service, so you might not score that day, but you can still show so much aggression and work so hard that the manager will keep you on the pitch if only to annoy hell out of the opposition defenders.

I hate hearing the old "He's not that sort of player" excuse. There should be no other "sort" of player. As far as I'm concerned, you can't control the amount of natural talent and pace you're blessed with, but there isn't a footballer anywhere at any level who is not capable of showing hard work, aggression and sheer desire. These attributes do not require God-given talent, and there are a fair few otherwise limited players who have reached even the Premier League level through sheer week-in, week out application. It's all about how much you want it.

Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo are blessed with phenomenal talent, but they've got the desire and hunger to go with it, which is why they are absolute world class.

Very good post and spot on, I agree with every word.

Quote Originally Posted by irishpete View Post
    Maybe he isn't fully fit
    Possibly, but he didn't look injured when he came off. And besides, this isn't the first time the above criticisms could be applied to him. He has become known as a player who only seems to produce his best coming off the bench, and he has drifted from one club to another throughout his career. I'm afraid the lower leagues are littered with these types of player, they show enough ability to persuade a club to sign them, but then ultimately don't show enough to be retained. Forte should be top class for this level, but I'm not sure he wants it enough.

Yeah, disappointed with him today, don’t know whether he’s fully fit, but he kept making his runs after the ball had been played rather than anticipating anything.

Only denied a goal by a great save though.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Yeah, disappointed with him today, don’t know whether he’s fully fit, but he kept making his runs after the ball had been played rather than anticipating anything.

Only denied a goal by a great save though.
    Absolutely! The goal scoring instincts are there and he's capable of nicking a few even without pushing himself, but it just re-emphasises how good he could be if he had the sort of firey determination and work rate someone like (e.g.) Luke Rodgers used to offer.

And that’s why Stead will get the nod over Forte every day of the week, the link up play and work rate are second to none, we wouldn’t be anywhere near we are in the league without him. I’m guessing he must have started every game when available?

Their keeper made a cracking save from Forte in the first half . " Young Callum" came on and ran his heart out but never looked like scoring. Had a free header and missed and to be honest it was harder to miss.

Quote Originally Posted by keldsyke View Post
    And that’s why Stead will get the nod over Forte every day of the week, the link up play and work rate are second to none, we wouldn’t be anywhere near we are in the league without him. I’m guessing he must have started every game when available?
    Yes, that's true. Being honest, I think Jon Stead is fading force who probably doesn't have a future with us beyond this season, but the point you make is right, you can never fault him for work rate and effort, and that's why Nolan trusts him more than Forte and others. I thought Stead actually did a proper target man's job today, where in other games he has played too much for cheap free kicks instead of genuinely trying to win the header or bring the ball down. At least when he did go down easily today, it was in the right place to win a penalty! And he took it really well!

Possibly, but he didn't look injured when he came off. And besides, this isn't the first time the above criticisms could be applied to him. He has become known as a player who only seems to produce his best coming off the bench, and he has drifted from one club to another throughout his career. I'm afraid the lower leagues are littered with these types of player, they show enough ability to persuade a club to sign them, but then ultimately don't show enough to be retained. Forte should be top class for this level, but I'm not sure he wants it enough.
    Don't forget Notts are a lower league club,maybe thats why we have him at present.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast