+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Derby 1 United 1 - report from the sofa

Derby 1 United 1 - report from the sofa

Did not go but watched on a ‘stream’ so of course these reports are not quite as detailed as they may be if I was actually there. Welcome opinions of those who went to add to below.

---
    United put in an excellent away performance at Pride Park to get a deserved result against a bang in form Derby side. Indeed, on another day it could have been three points as the Blades dominated for long spells and completely controlled the second half. A poor challenge by George Baldock gave Derby an undeserved lead with a penalty scored by Matej Vydra and after this they had a few other chances in their best spell of the game. After the break United went close on a couple of occasions and were finally level when Leon Clarke headed home a terrific Clayton Donaldson cross. After this it was all United but poor final ball or overplay meant they did not create too many clear chances but they completely controlled the game and Derby created very little of note.

United made two changes with Donaldson and Baldock in for Sharp and Carter Vickers; who both dropped to the bench. The strength of Derby’s squad was shown when they rotated players out from the convincing win at Ipswich with scorer Sam Winnall on the bench.

The game began with United on top and moving it about well and showed some neat touches all over the field; without creating much. Fleck and Lundstram were moving it around and Stevens got in twice on the overlap but failed to deliver an effective cross. This theme carried on when we won 2 early corners. Derby had not been in the game but started to come out and Russell and Weimann linked well leading to a half chance but Stearman blocked well. United came back out and Davies deflected wide at the near post leading to another corner.

Despite being the better side, Derby scored on 25 minutes. Baldock looked to shepherd the ball from danger but Russell nicked in and the defender brought him down. It was sloppy defending and an easy decision for the spot kick. VYDRA scored high up into the net and Derby were undeservedly ahead.

After this the home side had a good spell. Russell pulled a shot wide and then Weimann got on the end of a big breakaway after a giveaway from Duffy but shot wide. This was a good chance to double the lead.

United had knocked it about well but had not created much. We had two more corners that came to nothing and then neat football nearly saw Lundstram get in. The first real chance came when Donaldson ran through directly at the defence and cut back and had a shot saved from Carsson leading to another corner. After this good work from Russell at the other end won a corner for the home side before the break. Stevens then joined Duffy in the book both for fairly innocuous challenges.

In the second half, United came out of the blocks fast and some good neat football saw them penetrate more. Baldock nearly got in with a run down the right and then Donaldson was blocked out. Soon after a lovely move saw Lundstram, Clarke and Duffy involved before Fleck shot just wide on the run in what would have been a superb goal.

United had dominated the half and the leveller came thanks to great work from the front two. Donaldson came inside and made space and then sent over a superb cross that CLARKE met on the full to head into the corner past the motionless Carsson. It was well deserved.

United continued to dominate and more good work from Fleck and Lundstram saw a half chance but Lundstram’s shot was blocked.

Derby were not in the game at all and the crowd were becoming to get frustrated. They made a double change with Thorne and Winnall on for Johnson and Vydra. Thorne was booked soon after and Fleck shot at the keeper from the free kick.

United kept coming forward and Donaldson nearly got in again as the away side looked the more likely. From a rare Derby attack Keogh clearly pushed Clarke a long time before Winnall slotted home and it the offence was rightly penalised.

Carruthers came on for Duffy and he was involved instantly with a run down the left and then had a shot that went well wide.

Martin replaced Nugent as Derby looked for a spark but it was still mostly the away side that were controlling the game. Stevens surged forward and won a corner and then Baldock did likewise at the other end.

Lafferty came on for Lundstram and the game entered three minutes of stoppage time. Very little happened in this period as United kept the ball and played a few down the channel and Derby did not even get the ball into the United box.

United – Really enjoyed watching us today. We played well first half but did not do enough in areas it mattered and gave away a stupid goal when we had not looked like conceding. After this we panicked a bit for a spell but got back control. We were unlucky to go in behind but second half we took the game to them. Our defence won the headers/clearances, the midfield held it up well and played some lovely stuff and the front two were able to hold it up and were willing runners. We scored and you felt we were going to go on and win out of the two sides. Derby offered nothing and we had all of the football.

We played well as a team but individually we were much better too. Lundstram and Fleck were very good; Duffy did ok in spells but did not actually have his best game despite still being a threat. I felt the wing backs did ok but both made mistakes but the three centre backs were excellent today. Stearman continued to get criticism but was faultless today for me and O’Connell much improved too. Overall, we looked a good side and it was a good performance that got a point and could have been three. Derby could not have grumbled too much if we had won it.

We were fluent in possession; we moved it at pace when we could and were very solid in our shape. It was a very controlled performance with no little skill.

The only criticism today apart from the daft goal/penalty; is the lack of penetration first half as we played it all in front of them and maybe did not move it enough. It was nice football and pretty to watch but we did not hurt them. Ironically the only chance we had was like the ones they had; when Donaldson sprinted away and made a chance of his own on a run down. Outside of this we were poor in terms of creating clear things. Second half we got better and had a few half chances. Fleck was unlucky to score, Clarke had a chance blocked and then we scored. After this we did look dangerous at times but again just made wrong decisions or did not shoot enough. Time and time again I wanted us to pull the trigger but we delayed and allowed them to get men back. We need to be more ruthless. The defensive play and interchange and hold up all over the field was excellent to watch but we need to do more where it counts; the final third. If we can do that we will really be something.

Final slight negative point. Our corners were abysmal. We had double figures and three times set them on the attack. Every other one was too floated or too long and cleared easily. We did not get close to creating a chance all game from corners.

We have played Bristol City and Derby (2nd and 3rd) and outplayed both but only got a point. That is due too defensive mistakes and then not being able to do enough in the attacking third. That is disappointing and we have dropped out of the top 6 with Villa’s probable win against Bristol City as I write this. Lots of teams have dropped off above us also (Leeds, Cardiff not won either game recently) but we have failed to make any ground up. We have to be more clinical and make good performances turn into maximum points.

Our final ball was really poor again. I remember one cross from Stevens, a driven one from Fleck and then another from O’Connell that flashed across but apart from that and the obvious one for the goal; we wasted so many great chances to get the ball into good areas. We touched and tapped it about and overplayed.

Still despite these criticisms to come to the in-form team in the division and outplay them for long spells; 58% possession, 10 shots to 2 and 3 on target to 1 and 13 corners to 2. That for an away team is dominating in every sense.

We now have a few weeks off (taking away the Cup – I would play all the fringe players) before the big one. Wednesday will be smarting after a horrific result today and will have some players back but sounds like we have some players coming in from Wilder’s interview and they are clearly there for the taking at the moment.

Derby – I expected much better from them and they really surprised me how poor they were. They got a draw but were a touch fortunate to even come away from that. Sure, they had as many chances as us but they did not really have any spell of control save for maybe 5 minutes after the goal. Outside of this the away side dominated possession and had control of the game. The only issue was they let us have it for long spells and we failed to hurt them even when we got into good areas.

The boos at times in the second half from the home fans said it all. They had been on a tremendous run and completely overran some teams and today were made to look a poor side by United. They scored thanks to good work from Russell and poor defending and then had a few chances.

They made opportunities by breaking at speed with Russell and Vydra the key men running with the ball but were surprisingly direct and most of their chances came from long balls they ran onto. They did not play much football and I felt were very sloppy on the ball for long spells. At the back they struggled with Donaldson’s pace and running and at times looked at full stretch.

They have spent a fortune on players and their squad is ridiculous really in terms of what they have in reserve. Not quite sure how they are within the FFP regulations really in terms of outgoings but that is another argument.

Opposition Man of the Match: Vydra was the threat for me. He got on the ball and always looked a danger. Russell had a nightmare at the Lane but today caused problems and won the penalty. Those two and Weimann were ones that caused us problems in terms of running in behind. Huddlestone got the man of the match but not sure how? He played a few raking balls but I felt we controlled midfield. They did not really hurt us at all second half.

Opposition Weak link: I felt Nugent was quiet and it was too late for Martin and Winnall to make an impact. At the back Keogh and Davies wrestled with the strikers and at times were sloppy and slow to react to things. The lad Johnson was really poor in midfield and Fleck outplayed him. He got the hook on 70 minutes.

Moore 7/10 – Had little to do really. Of course, the goal is a penalty and then he saw two shots flash wide but other than that he was well protected. He commanded his area well and communicated well to take some balls through and allow defenders to clear on other occasions.

Baldock 7/10 – He actually did ok in general play and got forward well, supported the attack and had a few weaving runs and overlapped well. Still he made a big mistake on the goal. He should have just put it out and then under slight contact from Russell; he then let him get in and brought him down. After this he recovered well and I felt showed a lot of bravery to keep surging forward.

Stevens 7/10 – Like Baldock he made a few errors to begin but got stronger as the game went on. His final ball continues to frustrate but he was better defensively and cut out the sloppy touches. He got forward more and more in the second half and I felt finished the game on the front foot.

Basham 7/10 – Began in probably his best position; right centre back in a three and was really solid today. Did not try and be too clever and just did the basics. He headed it and kicked it away and read things well too.

O’Connell 7.5/10 – Much better performance. He was more switched on and cut out the lack of concentration or silly giveaways. He was tight to his man and denied space. The three of them kept together and were really solid. He got forward when he could too and I felt his passing was much improved.

Stearman 8/10 – Gets a lot of criticism but felt he was excellent today. He defended with common sense and bravery. Won tackles and interceptions and played with real confidence. Did not put a foot wrong against some really good attackers. Also used the ball better today. Today showed that the defence can be fine with the three he played if the full backs are on it too.

Fleck 8/10 – Up and down the other day but today he was very good and maybe the best midfielder on the park. Showed some lovely touches, jinks away from players and some nice passes short and long. Got booked for a pullback (2 games – 2 bookings since he came back) and needs to show bit more discipline but his overall performance was great to watch. He just gets his foot in, moves it around and creates time for himself and others. Really clever player. You look at players like Johnson and Huddlestone who cost millions and he is a better player.

Lundstram 7.5/10 – After a poor performance the other day; he got back to standards he set v Villa and Derby. He was really good and him and Fleck controlled the midfield with and without the ball. Thought we looked excellent in that area today.

Duffy 6.5/10 –I thought he had an off day with the ball today and two or three times set them on attack with give aways. Shows how well the rest played when he was one of our off key players. He was not bad and always looking for it and never hid but things did not quite happen and he got harried off it a few times. He is clearly a marked man at the moment.

Donaldson 7.5/10 – Thought he really ran his socks off. Chased down balls, held it up and tried to bring others into play. He had our chance first half with a great run and shot that was saved. Second half he held it up again and then made the goal with superb play and then a brilliant cross that was begging to be converted. He had really upped his game in recent weeks and the front two pick themselves currently. They are a handful to play in terms of running and goal threat.

Clarke 7/10 – First half he tried to link but did not get much service. He got closed down and just helped it on but second half held it for longer and linked really well. He was involved in the chances we had and then scored a superb header. Outside of his goal he was a bit more languid today though and a few times made wrong decisions but that is a bit harsh but judging him against recent high standards he has set. However, another goal and another performance where he worried defenders.

Subs:

Carruthers – I get called for analysing his every thing when he comes on but again he did little right when he came on. He does not hide that I will say as he tries to get on it. My mate says he has the yips at the moment and that pass straight out under little pressure backs that up. He had one run and cross that was poor and then a bad shot. Surprised he came on. Wilder seems determined to trust him to bring himself out of his slump.

Lafferty – Brought on for Lundstram I think just to give us a bit of fresh legs at the death and make sure we did not let them nick anything.

Manager: Wilder 8/10 – After he was quite complimentary of a performance many felt was not good enough the other day; he rightly lauded today’s efforts. We were really good and from start to finish the better side. I felt we passed it better, looked more composed and the only criticism is we did not do enough when we got into great positions and lacked that extra bit of quality/class when it mattered. Today the defence was solid (one mistake notwithstanding) and the midfield controlled the ball and pressed well to get it back. The front two chased and harried. It was a complete performance aside from the final ball and the decisions in the last third. We do need to shoot more and be more clinical but overall, he will be delighted with how we played and rightly so.

Officials – Referee was mixed. He tried to keep things flowing for spells and let strong challenges go and susses them going to floor quite a bit but he then booked Duffy, Fleck and Stevens for nothing challenges but let similar things go the other way. Thorne was booked for a bad one on Lundstram when the ball had long gone. He frustrated Derby by giving us a handball when he waved one away from them but he was another ref that was a bit inconsistent. The penalty was fair. Some said that Baldock got pulled back a bit initially but not sure it was enough for a foul and then he just rugby tackled him down.

Crowd – Could only hear the Blades fans from the feed. The 3,109 sounded in tremendous voice. They had a few bounces a la Wednesday but they were very quiet and became frustrated as United dominated the game for long periods and they started to grumble quite early on in the second half.

I’ve looked at that penalty incident several times deadbat and their man Russell fouls Baldock before they get in box. Just look at it again and you’ll see Baldock gets himself in front of Russell and then Russell pulls him back to get by him. No penalty imo.

was very impressed with us yesterday. personally would increase Baldocks (despite the pen) and Lundstrams rating. Thought those 2 along with Fleck & Stearman were close for MOM (Fleck gets my vote)

Quote Originally Posted by AceOfBlades View Post
    was very impressed with us yesterday. personally would increase Baldocks (despite the pen) and Lundstrams rating. Thought those 2 along with Fleck & Stearman were close for MOM (Fleck gets my vote)
    Flecky MotM for me,how many bookings is he on nar tho? A really good performance from our boys.UTCB