+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Auks, Robin my take on xmas .....

Auks, Robin my take on xmas .....

Happy New Year to everyone!!!
    Apologies I didn't get many chances to post over xmas. When I did have the chance, I had problems posting??

I went Northampton away, Rochdale and Scunny at home. I didn't go yesterday vrs Rotherham.
    Northampton, we where poor. Started poorly, came into it 2nd half. Missed an open goal (Conway) and missed a pen. Ok we where without Mulgrew. Pity we didn't have him on the bench to come on and score the pen. Very much 2 points dropped.

It came to light after this game we had a bug running through the club, which affected quite a lot of players over the xmas period.

Rochdale - home.
    We where pretty average, but won with ease. Dack and Mulgrew where the difference. I think Graham had been superb all over the xmas period games. He held the ball up well, looked a goal threat and very much seems up for this. Evan was absolutely shocking. I think he is a liability. I started to think we have a big problem in CM in this game. Very good crowd, but then again its boxing day, hopefully the returning fans may stick around.

Scunny - home
    One of the best matches I have seen at Ewood in a long long time. 2 teams 100% commited. Both played good attacking football. Both deserved something from the game. We scored 2 decent goals, both good moves. The 2nd, Dack was brilliant finding Antonsson. Good header down for Graham, who finished very well. Their 1st goal was a fluke. Their second was a mistake from Bennett. But they did fight back twice after being down. We where very unlucky when Dack hit the post at 2-1 which would have likely lead us to all 3 points. We lost Antonsson to injury aswell. We took 4 points off them (which you'd take) over the 2 games. By all accounts we where rather lucky to get all 3 at their place. So not a bad point, brilliant game, good crowd again. But results elsewhere meant we fell behind, but kept them behind us. Whitingham replaced Evans and was very good imo. His best game in a Rovers shirt. Passed the ball, which is why he is in the side.
    For them, Ojo was excellent. Morris was pretty average. He played deep central midfield. But wasn't effective. Not a bad left foot, but no better/worse than what we have.

Rotherham away!!!
    Still a few sick, we missed Antonsson. For some unknown reason he dropped Whitingham for Evans (who has been piss poor, and is a liability). I didn't go, so cant be overly critical. But that was sloppy!! We will miss out if this carries on. I get we where missing players, and had a few illnesses. And we where tired!! We had put a lot into the Scunny game, and it was a battle. But to be 1 up with a min to go, you HAVE to stand firm! If you have aspirations to go up automatically. While we have 21 games to go, so much football to be played. But there is a gap now. We have Shrewbury to come soon, but even if we beat them, we still wont catch them. So we need to strengthen now, before we slip further behind.

Happy new year champs
    Did you have a good festive break?
    Thankyou for the in depth match reports
    I believe the illness didn't help our cause but we appear to have lost the defensive stability we had a month or so ago
    It's a tricky balance to find attack and concede or defend and struggle for chances
    A happy medium is required before we slip out of reach
    It appears the Shrewsbury game is a must win now and regardless of the hull result I believe we can do it.

Quote Originally Posted by robinrover View Post
    Happy new year champs
    Did you have a good festive break?
    Thankyou for the in depth match reports
    I believe the illness didn't help our cause but we appear to have lost the defensive stability we had a month or so ago
    It's a tricky balance to find attack and concede or defend and struggle for chances
    A happy medium is required before we slip out of reach
    It appears the Shrewsbury game is a must win now and regardless of the hull result I believe we can do it.
    Hi Robin, yes I did thanks. I was a bit all over the place but didn't miss much football.
    I felt a bit peed off after yesterday really. We have done so well to get ourselves hanging to the coat-tails of the top 2. And due to us not being 100% over xmas, we have now fallen behind. Still so much football to play, and we will hopefully strengthen.
    The cup game is just not a priority, not with such a league game a week later.

Happy New Year, all.
    I made the effort to get up at 4a.m. for the Rotherham game. I was also a bit puzzled by Evans in for Whittingham in midfield. We needed a bit more guile to get through the big, strong Rotherham defence. Having said that, we could easily have been three-nil up. I feel we have not been clinical enough with finishing at times - despite our good goal-scoring figures.
    At one point, about ten minutes from the end, TM was frantically signalling for players to hold on to the ball. Over the last five or six years, we have conceded so many goals from the 80th minute onwards. Presumably, we STILL have that same confidence issue, despite the changes in personnel. Unfortunately, we haven't got a Robbie Savage with the personality to galvanize the other players!
    Thanks for the match-reports, Champs.
    I see Harper has gone back to WBA. In a way, his performances prove that most youngsters need time and gradual development, however talented. I suspect that is why Mowbray prefers to introduce them a bit at a time - mainly as substitutes.
    Our Under-23 team is packed with promising midfielders, but they are virtually all central players. I reckon Mowbray should make a fast winger the signing-priority. Chapman would be fine, but I'm not sure that he will be released, and he is probably still two months away from fitness, anyway.

A winger is an absolute must aucks
    I have alot of time for Conway but he is done and with just Bennett the only other fit winger this position should be an priority.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)