Thread: 3 matches in 5 days

3 matches in 5 days

in 1968 27/4/68 Blues semi final won 2-0
    29/4/68 Albion 6 Man united 3 possibly the best game i have seen
    1/5/68 Albion 3 West Ham 1
    West ham had the advantage last night, but the players nowadays are fitter.

I went to all three matches. The Man Utd game was indeed tremendous. I think we were winning 6-1 but a certain George Best showed a couple of moments of magic and the game ended 6-3. I remember leaving the ground feeling a bit disappointed at the final score. Never satisfied I suppose. Then my mate and me got jumped by Utd fans in Wattville Road and he got his scarf pinched.

I agree with you JD, I left the ground feeling disappointed as well. Can you imagine beating Utd. 6-3 today and feeling disappointed, we'd be celebrating for a season. However, those were the days when teams were developed and not bought by some foreign sheik with money to burn.

Quote Originally Posted by Joy_Division View Post
    I went to all three matches. The Man Utd game was indeed tremendous. I think we were winning 6-1 but a certain George Best showed a couple of moments of magic and the game ended 6-3. I remember leaving the ground feeling a bit disappointed at the final score. Never satisfied I suppose. Then my mate and me got jumped by Utd fans in Wattville Road and he got his scarf pinched.
    Haha. You can't have been far away from me & mates, Joy. The 72 queue to Town was a mile long, so we carried on walking into Handsworth. We sang all the way down the Holyhead Road and we could hear 20 ManU fans following behind, which turned into a chase. We eventually ran up Thornhill Rd to the Police Station for sanctuary. Happy Days indeed!

I saw all three. I also recall the bus queue and legging it back to town. What I recall most was being held up getting there and on arriving finding all turnstiles into the Brummie shut. My mate and I ran around and just got in the Smethwick. But here the terraces were heaving. A copper bo££ocked us for blocking the gangway and this was the ideal excuse to force our way into the crowd. What a night. What a team.