+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Bottom Half Of The PL

Bottom Half Of The PL

Don't know about everyone else but I don't believe it's all that to be honest .

Don't get me wrong the top 6 would hit us for 7 or 8 without breaking sweat but the rest look fairly ordinary to me .

As times gone on since our fleeting season much seems to have changed .

The very top clubs are so far in front of the others it's ridiculous , they are also stock piling the top talent and the rest of the PL are fighting over any scraps of players that remain available .

Not a million miles from the top 8 in the championship and the bottom half of the PL in my opinion .

Huddersfield look more than capable of staying up , Brighton too and Newcastle will also probably survive .

I don't think as a top championship side today the jump to the PL is as great a leap as it was for ourselves in 97/98 .

I'm not saying you don't need to strengthen of course you do but I reckon any side who can finish in the top two in this league can compete far more easily with the bottom half than they possibly could a few years ago .

Pretty much agree ! Hopefully with the new owner you will be joining the prem in the next season or two. Good luck !

I'd agree with that animal. There's been a huge turnover of clubs that have graced the premiership, 49 in total which is more than half of the English football league clubs. Quite astounding really when you think it's only been going 25years. That to me proves that there isn't the same teams yo yo ing between the top 2 divisions.

Of the 22 inaugural members of the premiership only 8 of them remain in the premiership this season. 6 of those 8 have been ever present in the form of man utd, arsenal, spurs, everton, chelsea and Liverpool. The other 2 clubs have tasted long periods out of the top flight since 1992, both in the form of crystal palace and man city.

5 of the ever present premiership clubs currently occupy the top 6 places. This is what the business money men wanted for the big clubs when the premiership was formed. In all fairness and with the utmost respect I feel that proves that the rest of the clubs are alsorans and merely just there to make the numbers up. The 6 super powers in English football remain untouchable financially and seemingly immovable from their perches. Maybe if they fecked off to form a European super league it wouldn't be such a bad thing.

Agree , think it shows with how many of the relegated Premier League teams really struggle in the Championship.

They’d be walking away with the Championship when they come down if they were so much better but that doesn’t happen.

Who are the six super powers though? I wouldn't have classed Chelsea or Man City as super powers until they were taken over. As it stands Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Tottenham, Chelsea are the super powers. However, when Wolves are promoted there is nothing to suggest that they can't become a super power. (They were in the fifties).

Quote Originally Posted by Ponte_Steve24 View Post
    Who are the six super powers though? I wouldn't have classed Chelsea or Man City as super powers until they were taken over. As it stands Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Tottenham, Chelsea are the super powers. However, when Wolves are promoted there is nothing to suggest that they can't become a super power. (They were in the fifties).
    True that , weren’t Everton and Villa classed as the big 6 a few years ago

There's that may rich clubs now that eventually the league will become wide open again. As it will become less how much you've got but how you spend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponte_Steve24 View Post
    There's that may rich clubs now that eventually the league will become wide open again. As it will become less how much you've got but how you spend it.
    Only so many top players around , the majority will not sign for clubs outside of the champions league who have a bigger brand .

Then you have to factor in the top Spanish , Italian , German and PSG all chasing the same players .

Even when Ethiad first took over at Man City they couldn't sign the top players because they weren't in the champions league .

They managed it eventually but it took a few seasons and absolute mega bucks .