+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So who do we buy this month

So who do we buy this month

Shotton Christie mcgeady boyd Hanley huddlestone Davies ledley whelan Bennett ruddy Gardner stockdale Murphy Donaldson.

All highly experienced championship players, ranging from 24 to 33 years old, all British or Irish, all signed for under 4 million each, some of them were free transfers, so this begs the question, why didn't we sign any of them? Surely if a squad had all those guys they'd be pretty high up the table

An 11 including ruddy christie Davies Hanley boyd mcgeady whelan huddlestone and Murphy would have been a strong lineup, then fill in the blanks of a left back and a striker and you have an 11 capable of beating any team in this division, then a bench including stockdale bennett Shotton ledley Gardner Donaldson and then fill the blank with a winger or another striker, what a championship 18 that would have been, all very affordable both transfer and maybe even the wages, yet we signed none of them, I'd be very interested to know what WTF thinks of this information, would all those mentioned have improved our current squad?

But most importantly, why did leeds not sign any of them? Pretty sure some would have preferred the above to wiedwald berardi jansson Anita klich gomes sacko alioski hernandez Saiz cibicki grot ekuban and lasogga, coz those guys are all foreign and most have no experience of the championship etc

I don't pretend to know everything coz I don't, so maybe you guys can tell me, what's gone so wrong with our recruitment? Why were the above experienced and affordable players not signed in the summer? And since weve had Italian owners, we've ended up with those foreign guys listed instead?

I actually like some of those foreign players, berardi jansson hernandez alioski and saiz would start most games for us if I was LUFC head coach, and I think with some expert advice and training and coaching, there might be something eventually with wiedwald Anita klich sacko cibicki ekuban and lasogga, I'd even argue that given a few years the young ones like grot might even become decent, gomes is the one I don't know about yet

But I'd like to know what you all think regarding this and what players we should sign this month, obviously the above British and Irish players mentioned won't be available!

ask WTF.

Please help me understand the appeal of a championship Brit player. seems a recurring theme.

They seem to be really high priced and they seem more than willing to jump to the first team that offers them more money or a chance to sit the bench on a prem team. Don't blame them but hardly think they are something an ambitious owner aspires to populate his team with.

The last I checked England hasn't won a world cup since the beatles were playing. The last 10 prem winners were predominantly made up of foreigners. However, The teams comprised of Brits do seem to have a lock on the conference, Lg2 and Lg1 championships.

I love the hard nosed style and the patriotism of having your own lads playing but it sure isn't something you build a team on if you want to compete at the highest levels.

Luke Murphy.lol

Quote Originally Posted by spaldy View Post
    Please help me understand the appeal of a championship Brit player. seems a recurring theme.

They seem to be really high priced and they seem more than willing to jump to the first team that offers them more money or a chance to sit the bench on a prem team. Don't blame them but hardly think they are something an ambitious owner aspires to populate his team with.

The last I checked England hasn't won a world cup since the beatles were playing. The last 10 prem winners were predominantly made up of foreigners. However, The teams comprised of Brits do seem to have a lock on the conference, Lg2 and Lg1 championships.

I love the hard nosed style and the patriotism of having your own lads playing but it sure isn't something you build a team on if you want to compete at the highest levels.
    Agree mostly but still think the best teams have a core of British & Irish. If all our home signings had the attitude, talent, value for money of a Luke Ayling we would be flying.. unfortunately as mentioned elsewhere most fail, usually over whelmed playing in front of an expectant ER... The squad would have been a little better if we had retained Liam Bridcutt and not Sacko.

agree about Ayling, great attitude, and cracking buy IMO.
    As for our british midfield, Okane, Phillips, Vieira, Bridcutt, Murphy etc,etc, Meh......
    where are the Bremners? id even settle for a Joey Barton just now.

Yes BB, am not saying that Bridcutt is the midfield leader we need but letting him go without a better proven alternative wasn't a great move. Vieira should prove to have a good career but think he's 1-2 years away from the level and consistency we need. Phillips hmmm, O'Kane I like him but generally not strong enough to make the impact needed.

point taken WS, ive worried about CM for a couple of seasons now, i agree Vieira will be a player, but i think we are crying out for experience in there, someone who can grab a game by the scruff of the neck and lead the kids, neither Bridcutt nor Okane do it for me, neither are kids, and if they were going to be that player, they would be already.
    Cant believe the new centre back was getting slagged off yesterday, people crying out for a new CB, i think Jansson and Cooper are doing well there, but we are doing nothing to adress the shambles in midfield. I think weve got some cracking attacking players this season, if only we could win the battle for them first.

Sometimes its about having the right players at the right time, they might not have been the best, but a Rodolph Austin or Michael Brown would be ideal for us this season.

Quote Originally Posted by BenidormBlanco View Post
    point taken WS, ive worried about CM for a couple of seasons now, i agree Vieira will be a player, but i think we are crying out for experience in there, someone who can grab a game by the scruff of the neck and lead the kids, neither Bridcutt nor Okane do it for me, neither are kids, and if they were going to be that player, they would be already.
    Cant believe the new centre back was getting slagged off yesterday, people crying out for a new CB, i think Jansson and Cooper are doing well there, but we are doing nothing to adress the shambles in midfield. I think weve got some cracking attacking players this season, if only we could win the battle for them first.

Sometimes its about having the right players at the right time, they might not have been the best, but a Rodolph Austin or Michael Brown would be ideal for us this season.
    I agree but think that putting someone like that next to Viera would be dynamite - he's got everything he needs right now to be an excellent defensive midfield player - we need the experienced and combative one next to him that can create and drive the team forward. ie not O Kane - he's the nearest we have to what we need, but someone better would be better.

Obviously Eunan i hope you're not upset reading this.

Lol!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)