+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is that the fat lady singing?

Quote Originally Posted by SwedishBaggie View Post
    Not knowing real reasons for anyone to stop going, but generally when ceasing with something, things (i e Pulis) could be used as ”excuses” too. Often many things coincide and contribute together.
    I sat through the home game against Villa and was bored to death. I couldn't face travelling up to watch such boring, mind numbing "football" again. I haven't been since. I do watch nearly all the games thanks to technology but that takes 2 hours out of my day not 7 and costs me sod all.
    Would I have stopped anyway? Who knows. Will I return? Maybe for the odd game.

Quote Originally Posted by SwedishBaggie View Post
    Not knowing real reasons for anyone to stop going, but generally when ceasing with something, things (i e Pulis) could be used as ”excuses” too. Often many things coincide and contribute together.
    I still go. The reason I thought about not going was Pulis nothing else just Pulis. To the point I left it that long to renew I lost my seat in the Brummie which I have since seats were put in there.
    Just a thought
    But with streams not so readily available when in the championship maybe lifers will return.

Quote Originally Posted by TipperaryBaggie View Post
    To be honest Al, if you and your ‘majority’ want to watch top flight football every week, then may I respectfully suggest that you go and support one of the top six teams. I have been an Albion fan for nearly 70 years now and accordingly have had to accept the ups and downs of our club. However, along with many supporters of other teams, I have always considered Albion as one the ‘footballing’ teams in the country. Over the last couple of seasons the football we have served up has been dire and not what I expect from the team I have followed since a boy. As a club, we have lost many neutral friends that we had amassed over the years. We can never compete financially with the big clubs but I do expect us to serve up a tyoe of football which would encourage people to go to the games. It is evident that true loyal supporters have been staying away this season under the Pulis regime and we need to get them back to watching the games. Our football has now improved but without getting results which may result in us losing our place in the Premiership. If this happens, then so be it but I am more enthusiastic than I have been all season and look forward to our games again. I am proud to be a Baggies fan again.
    I agree TB, but, is there a risk of being overly enthusiastic about the past (”the good old days”) and thus having a bit tainted glasses? Nostalgia etc could ”blur memories” a tad, maybe? I often think of the great 5-3 away win when I started supporting the Albion, and then with fond memories of course (have it on VHS).

Typical Pulis knocking forgetting how he stabilysed us in the Prem. Did he have to go at some point? I believe so. Every manager does. The problem from my point of view started when we didnt prgress from the solid base Pulis gave us. The January transfer window last year should have been all about strikers. REAL strikers, not the goal shy and shot shy players we have now. I doubt Pardew will keep us up now. Going back to the championship is a very shortsighted hope for better things. It took us 16 years to get out initially. Theres always the danger of drifting down the leagues. Its not what I wanted. We were considered a top ten club after last season, and 8th was ours for the taking...all on Pulis's watch. My favourite time was watching willie johnston, and laurie cunningham....those were my exciting to watch times. This is now however and money has killed the game completely so I was happy to stay in the Prem at all costs until we progressed, and I saw that as a slow but sure job. The fans wanted a change and they got one. This is what we have now. Wolves up and the Baggies down. We could play the best football ever in the championship but it wont be the prem, that's where the money is, it might not get us competing with the top 6 but it would have kept us as a top ten prem club. Theres no chance now. We couldnt beat the local girl guides, even with a 3 goal start. Very, very sad days.

Quote Originally Posted by TipperaryBaggie View Post
    To be honest Al, if you and your ‘majority’ want to watch top flight football every week, then may I respectfully suggest that you go and support one of the top six teams. I have been an Albion fan for nearly 70 years now and accordingly have had to accept the ups and downs of our club. However, along with many supporters of other teams, I have always considered Albion as one the ‘footballing’ teams in the country. Over the last couple of seasons the football we have served up has been dire and not what I expect from the team I have followed since a boy. As a club, we have lost many neutral friends that we had amassed over the years. We can never compete financially with the big clubs but I do expect us to serve up a tyoe of football which would encourage people to go to the games. It is evident that true loyal supporters have been staying away this season under the Pulis regime and we need to get them back to watching the games. Our football has now improved but without getting results which may result in us losing our place in the Premiership. If this happens, then so be it but I am more enthusiastic than I have been all season and look forward to our games again. I am proud to be a Baggies fan again.
    You speak for us all (well most), Tip.
    I clock up 60 supporting years in April, along with my brother who is seriously reconsidering his S/T this Summer.

Quote Originally Posted by boingy View Post
    Typical Pulis knocking forgetting how he stabilysed us in the Prem. Did he have to go at some point? I believe so. Every manager does. The problem from my point of view started when we didnt prgress from the solid base Pulis gave us. The January transfer window last year should have been all about strikers. REAL strikers, not the goal shy and shot shy players we have now. I doubt Pardew will keep us up now. Going back to the championship is a very shortsighted hope for better things. It took us 16 years to get out initially. Theres always the danger of drifting down the leagues. Its not what I wanted. We were considered a top ten club after last season, and 8th was ours for the taking...all on Pulis's watch. My favourite time was watching willie johnston, and laurie cunningham....those were my exciting to watch times. This is now however and money has killed the game completely so I was happy to stay in the Prem at all costs until we progressed, and I saw that as a slow but sure job. The fans wanted a change and they got one. This is what we have now. Wolves up and the Baggies down. We could play the best football ever in the championship but it wont be the prem, that's where the money is, it might not get us competing with the top 6 but it would have kept us as a top ten prem club. Theres no chance now. We couldnt beat the local girl guides, even with a 3 goal start. Very, very sad days.
    Please mate
    Tell me how he stabilised the club in the league ? We had already been stabilised in the league years before he arrived.
    There is now no money left because that clown has wasted it all. Completely wasted it. Not just this season but previous seasons.
    If he had done a good job do you honestly think I would be sitting here knocking him at every opportunity?

Quote Originally Posted by Whicka_Mon View Post
    Please mate
    Tell me how he stabilised the club in the league ? We had already been stabilised in the league years before he arrived.
    There is now no money left because that clown has wasted it all. Completely wasted it. Not just this season but previous seasons.
    If he had done a good job do you honestly think I would be sitting here knocking him at every opportunity?
    Thats your point of view and thats fine. We still have some of the best defenders in the league thanks to Pulis but we both know that thats not enough to win games. I honestly believe that with the right strikers we would be a firm top ten club. You cant keep knocking Pulis, he gave us some great results against the likes of Liverpool, Man U Chelsea and Arsenal, and dont forget that last season we beat everyone around us and below us for the majority of the season. Something went drastically wrong at the end of last and the rest of this. I blame player mentality more than anything else. We dont have a winning mentality. We have a losing mentality. We can be 2-0 up and we both know that means nothing anymore. I never loved Pulis's style, lets be honest you couldnt but it was effective for the best part and no one wanted to play a Pulis side. Everyone would love to play us now. We can only hope.

If and that is a big IF Pardew gets new players and still continues to lose matches and we eventually go down then some of the blame can be apportioned to him...this is one genuine case where the workman can blame his tools...because they are not his tools and at the moment we are playing better football with sub standard players brought in by Pulis. Christ...I bet when things don't go right for you at home you kick the hell out of your cat...it's not the cats fault nor is it Pardews...yet.

Thats your point of view and thats fine. We still have some of the best defenders in the league thanks to Pulis but we both know that thats not enough to win games. I honestly believe that with the right strikers we would be a firm top ten club. You cant keep knocking Pulis, he gave us some great results against the likes of Liverpool, Man U Chelsea and Arsenal, and dont forget that last season we beat everyone around us and below us for the majority of the season. Something went drastically wrong at the end of last and the rest of this. I blame player mentality more than anything else. We dont have a winning mentality. We have a losing mentality. We can be 2-0 up and we both know that means nothing anymore. I never loved Pulis's style, lets be honest you couldnt but it was effective for the best part and no one wanted to play a Pulis side. Everyone would love to play us now. We can only hope.
    But Pulis didn't sign the defenders. It was the recruitment team. Well that's what I keep being told on here.
    Or is it as I expected they only signed the bad players?
    We can also give him the massive thanks for having no centreforward worthy of the name at the entire club. Maybe thanks should also be given for the way he has improved the right back position.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)