+ Visit Aston Villa FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Really!?

Certainly the FA Cup doesn't have the feel of the good old days any more now that the PL is a global brand with the CL the be all and end all (remember when the UEFA Cup and even the old Cup Winners Cup competitions really meant something). The two big points on yesterday for me are - what about the pride and what about the fans that turned up having travelled & paid their hard earned.

Does anyone think Bruce told his players not to bother? I don't! Do the first team regulars who played perhaps think that because it's not the league they had the right to a day off? Perhaps yes - and for that I blame Bruce's leadership and I do wonder how JT felt walking off the pitch having just lost to Peterborough at home.

Football has lost the plot and if/when we don't go up, everyone will remember this result just as they did with Bradford/Millwall/Sheff Utd in recent seasons. No wonder the parents are saying their kids don't want to go and watch us, our football is killing whatever was left of the atmosphere at VP.

Peterborough at home FFS

A full strength team would have beaten the Posh and I am of the belief winning is a good habit regardless of the competition. Bill Shankly once said "you should always field your strongest team" the aim when taking the field is to WIN..

A good cup run creates excitement, the squad does not play again till 5;30pm next Saturday, why do they require 2 week break? they will be climbing up the walls. I could probably understand more if we were in the position Blues are in. Was it not Bruce who was in charge of Hull when they got promoted and the Cup final? what a great season!!

It does smack a little of the MON days when he threw the Europa cup qtr final. We would have won that competition that year. (maybe)

Quote from WCV

Football has lost the plot and if/when we don't go up, everyone will remember this result just as they did with Bradford/Millwall/Sheff Utd in recent seasons. No wonder the parents are saying their kids don't want to go and watch us, our football is killing whatever was left of the atmosphere at VP.

Very true!!!

I really didn't want Villa to be too active in the transfer market in January, but after Barry Fry's comments and yesterday's performance by the reserve team why not make an ambitious bid for Posh's Marriott and Maddison?
    Seem like they are both better than anyone we have as back up.
    Also watching yesterday Fleetwood Town has a young right midfielder Ashley Hunter that would be worth a punt on.

I still think its that CF role that needs sorting or at least someone who can play along side or just behind the main striker. Had we had Kodija, I think we would have been up there with Wolves and although we scored 5 in the last game, we are short of an actual 'Goal getter' a 'Poacher' I've posted endless amounts fo time about Ross Mac but even though it's obvious even to the blind we need help up front, old potato head holds a grudge and even at the cost of promotion will not recall him. Imagine if he was still playing and knocking goals in for Fulham, I bet everyone would be saying, Go get him Dr Xia??

I personally do not want another Landsbury or a Hogan, we've already got them. I still think Sturridge is a worthwhile shout though (Loan) he needs game time!!

Embarrassing result.. simple as that. We’re no dead Certs for promotion so that excuse doesn’t rub with me..

Pretty decent team out and we lost to a div 1 team in our own back yard !! Not good enough..

Watched Fleetwood, Norwich, Shrewsbury and at the moment Forest dominate so called stronger opposition. Add to that Peterborough, Newport getting great results and Mansfield and Carlisle getting good creditable draws, plus there were other shocks, Coventry beat Stoke, Birmingham beat Burton it shows that the good English/British talent that has been sidelined by mercinary foreigners in the top flight and the upper Championship is actually the better talent and grittier and why we are seeing Huddersfield and Bournemouth coming out of league 1 into the prem

Just a quick question. Would you rather this year we somehow managed to navigate our way past man utd away, then man City at home to play Chelsea in the final and beat them, win the Fa cup and finish 7th or.... finish 6th, get to Wembley in the play off final and get promotion?

Not saying that's what will happen, just wondering

Obviously I would rather win the fa cup Sam than finish 6th or 7th.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)