+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: O’Neill and Rowett favourites for Stoke job

O’Neill and Rowett favourites for Stoke job

Just been said on MOTD.
    Did we expect anything different?
    Will Gary be tempted?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_the_Ram View Post
    Just been said on MOTD.
    Did we expect anything different?
    Will Gary be tempted?
    Hopefully unlike Steve Mc he will distance himself from the job immediately. We don't need that unbalancing period again besides I believe that Rowett is here to do a job and fully expect him to say he is going nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by ManxRam View Post
    Hopefully unlike Steve Mc he will distance himself from the job immediately. We don't need that unbalancing period again besides I believe that Rowett is here to do a job and fully expect him to say he is going nowhere.
    Just so, Manx. Imagine, and hope, this is just more lazy journalism.

Why would he? If he wants to manage in the Prem next season he is currently better placed than he would be at the Clayheads. Not bias, just fact.

Quote Originally Posted by BaaLocks View Post
    Why would he? If he wants to manage in the Prem next season he is currently better placed than he would be at the Clayheads. Not bias, just fact.
    Absolutely. It would be a poisoned chalice. Apart from say the top 8 clubs in England I can't see why any other team would be more attractive than us.

Quote Originally Posted by KingCharlieGeorge View Post
    Absolutely. It would be a poisoned chalice. Apart from say the top 8 clubs in England I can't see why any other team would be more attractive than us.
    I wonder, nothing more than that, how our ‘attractiveness’ to GR might be influenced by how much he is given to strengthen the squad over the remaining three weeks or so of the ‘window’.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    I wonder, nothing more than that, how our ‘attractiveness’ to GR might be influenced by how much he is given to strengthen the squad over the remaining three weeks or so of the ‘window’.
    From his press interactions you get the feeling Gary Robert (sic) is a straight but fair talker. I would have imagined he had some pretty frank discussions with Mel over what he thinks is needed, both when he joined and ongoing.

The question is what do we need and when? Friday night showed us we are still a long way from a Prem team (besides Jose's kind words) and we're nowhere near able to feel comfortable in the automatics like Wolves are. That said, I'd suggest we are better placed now than any time since 2015 to actually make it. Add to that Mel must be more desperate than anyone to make it over the line.

With all of that I'd suggest a bit of interest from Stoke won't change much the tone of the discussion, but I'd be really surprised if we don't bring at least one player in this window, either a back up CB or a midfielder capable of opening up a defence a bit more, we could really push on if we just had that one player who can change the pace of a game - not just by spraying 50 yard passes around but sometimes just by running at 'em. Frank Lampard was the master at this, even Will Hughes had it when he first came on the scene.

I can't see him being interested to be honest but if he was what can you do! It's all ok saying he should could come out and say he's committed to the Rams but if you were on £10,000 a week and someone comes in and offers you £25,000 a week it's not going to be easy to turn down. At the end of the day it's a job and you only go to work for cash!

My brother-in-law a Stoke season ticket holder has phoned me to say the are interviewing former player Graham Potter tomorrow he's been managing Ostersunds in Sweden for seven years He has taken them from the fourth division to European football where they are drawn against Arsenal next month A lot of people at the club trying to convince the owners to to sign him up

Quote Originally Posted by mistaram View Post
    My brother-in-law a Stoke season ticket holder has phoned me to say the are interviewing former player Graham Potter tomorrow he's been managing Ostersunds in Sweden for seven years He has taken them from the fourth division to European football where they are drawn against Arsenal next month A lot of people at the club trying to convince the owners to to sign him up
    Mista have you read the story about this guy has become an absolute legend there.

BBC sport had an article on him a couple of months back, gave up everything to move his wife and young family to a remote part of Sweden.

Fair play if he gets the chance.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)