+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Last chance saloon

Last chance saloon

Dexter B still no club - and also Kelvin Wilson. I wonder how many more of our recent signings have left us for the wilderness of the 'not to be touched with a bargepole' club?

We certainly seem to buy a greater percentage of players who pay us a visit on their way down rather than on their way up but as Kempo would say when you pay peanuts that's probably to be expected. I don't think Claude Davies ever found another club, and after his debut most thought he'd never play a 2nd game for us but he was a valuable member of the last promotion team.

That's why I would never give a contract to 30 or over in age players. Proved it with Potter. Wood we knew about him as a player. He wasn't injured most of the time but now nearing 33 he's on his final season here. In real life if you are past 50 or even younger only jobs you'll get are stewards, security guards & at supermarkets.

You can add Belaid, Ekstrand and Stephen Kelly to that list as well.

Quote Originally Posted by gwru View Post
    That's why I would never give a contract to 30 or over in age players. Proved it with Potter. Wood we knew about him as a player. He wasn't injured most of the time but now nearing 33 he's on his final season here. In real life if you are past 50 or even younger only jobs you'll get are stewards, security guards & at supermarkets.
    Proved what with Potter exactly? Is Wood in his final season?

Tell you what gwru,Darren Potter will make you eat your words,if you cant see that Potter is a good player (when fit),you don't your players like you think.

Quote Originally Posted by dantpen View Post
    You can add Belaid, Ekstrand and Stephen Kelly to that list as well.
    Never really sure what the problem was with Belaid, as he was much younger than the others mentioned.... physical? mental? contractual (wage increase/contact extension if he played so many games)? other off-field stuff? Puzzling. but Warney was obviously not keen on him in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by dmentor View Post
    Tell you what gwru,Darren Potter will make you eat your words,if you cant see that Potter is a good player (when fit),you don't your players like you think.
    When fit can do a job but it's only at half speed. Potter was probably a good player, we don't know.

When fit can do a job but it's only at half speed. Potter was probably a good player, we don't know.
    Amazing....a post without jch and vaulks in it...