+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BT 6.30pm today = Programme on Academies

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy58 View Post
    I am not and would never decry Greaves' ability nor that of George Best. And my comment concerning his drinking was not meant in any way as a criticism, merely that the view held by a former pro that coaching never achieved anything cannot have come from a clear mind. I agree that you can't coach natural ability. But You can enhance it and develop it and that is what coaching is about. Getting the best out of your ability. Why do you think cricketers have practices with coaches endeavoring to improve their technique. Truth of the matter is that all clubs and national teams have coaches and that is why certain aspects of the game are better today than they were, for example, 50 years ago.
    I find this topic interesting and accept its boring to others..

I think we need to define the word 'coaching' though Timmy.

I don't disagree that everyone can 'improve' what abilities they have by having someone at hand like a Dario to bring things to their attention and that applies to most things in life. Where I disagree is spending vast sums of money on a production line mentality that if you can give youngsters hours and hours of 'coaching' they can become professional players. They may indeed become 'better' players but like me a single figure handicap golfer but miles away from even the bottom professional golf tour etc. I have seen brilliant youngsters at my golf club that seem as good as any top professional but alas not even remotely good enough and that is just my point really.

Our academy graduates only start to really improve when they start playing against other Professionals in league football both in technique and the physical and mental attributes needed and why it can take years for them to improve as some indeed so but of course, many don't and its my contention that its only when you get to your mid ****s that becomes evident and why Brentford think the same thing and there is no shortage of youths around to see it but if as we do invest millions by taking them from the age of 5 etc then its a very risky costly venture that a club our size really cannot afford and why so many clubs in L1 and L2 wouldn't and don't. I don't disagree that youngsters of all ages should get a chance at football or golf or music but that doesn't have to fall on organisations that can ill afford to give them that.

Finally, you say that 'certain' aspects of the game are better today then they were?

You know I'm not sure about that and viewing things from historical misty eyed pov is not always the best way and it may be a question of age when I loved this club since I was ten years old, 63 years ago now and still do and I went in the darker days but it didn't bother me and why I went far flung grounds on my own sometimes to see my team as people do in their hundreds now, bless em...But I really don't enjoy the experience like i did and I can't think about many improvements you mention? Better pitches, certainly and amazing how fit they were to play on such pitches as they did because people say the players are faster and quicker now and with all the facilities they have now, it would be foolish to disagree but whether that translates into a 'better' experience for us fans, I don't know? Its OK sitting in the stands and that side has improved but its not something that bothers me and is secondary to the football.

Also defensive football and clogging up the pitch has made for worse football when the formations back then allowed players more freedom to express themselves. Our corners and throw ins are diabolical and again poor tactics and coaching imo as the GK has 18 players surrounding him and much better to leave three or four near the halfway line where they have to leave the same number and its better all round but try and tell that to the manager as I did to Dario one time and he just shrugged his shoulders....

Its a great topic that everyone has an opinion and quite right too..

We should downgrade our academy which won't affect the local lads and we save half a million per season right away is my suggestion..

ATB

Mike

On the Coaching argument it feels like I'm arguing that water is wet but not getting anywhere so I'll give up!

However specifically on the Academy, the reason we are suffering at Crewe is not that talent or natural ability in the North West has dried up, it's because we are no longer unique and so the talent pool is being shared amongst more clubs. All the top teams have unbelievable Academies and it is harder to attract the talent to Crewe. I've heard that Liverpool for example spend over £1m per year on transport costs for the Academy - that's taxiing lads from all over the NW. How can you compete?
    So the question is if it is harder to attract the better prospects into your Academy how long is it financially viable without a benefactor.

But the flipside is do away with the Academy, then you become the same as all the other clubs in the lower leagues. The only differentiator then is money flowing to the First Team and based on our gates this would be insignificant compared to others and we'd pretty soon follow the Chester's and Stockport's IMO unless you can land a Manager who is significantly better than anybody elses, who you would then lose upwards etc etc and you'd be caught in the cycle. The only way out of that cycle is more money (spent wisely).

So I don't think the answer is clear cut. I would like to think the Academy would carry on as it is (it enables lads from the local Borough to come through and that is a big selling point to me), but it might just cease to be financially possible, certainly at CAT2 on our gates and with lower player sales, in which case the only sustainable way forward is a big shakeup at Board Level to allow new money to come in. Anybody know anyone who wouldn't be put off by the Norman H structures in place??
    Last edited by Roebuck; 10-01-2018 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSB View Post
    I find this topic interesting and accept its boring to others..

I think we need to define the word 'coaching' though Timmy.

I don't disagree that everyone can 'improve' what abilities they have by having someone at hand like a Dario to bring things to their attention and that applies to most things in life. Where I disagree is spending vast sums of money on a production line mentality that if you can give youngsters hours and hours of 'coaching' they can become professional players. They may indeed become 'better' players but like me a single figure handicap golfer but miles away from even the bottom professional golf tour etc. I have seen brilliant youngsters at my golf club that seem as good as any top professional but alas not even remotely good enough and that is just my point really.

Our academy graduates only start to really improve when they start playing against other Professionals in league football both in technique and the physical and mental attributes needed and why it can take years for them to improve as some indeed so but of course, many don't and its my contention that its only when you get to your mid ****s that becomes evident and why Brentford think the same thing and there is no shortage of youths around to see it but if as we do invest millions by taking them from the age of 5 etc then its a very risky costly venture that a club our size really cannot afford and why so many clubs in L1 and L2 wouldn't and don't. I don't disagree that youngsters of all ages should get a chance at football or golf or music but that doesn't have to fall on organisations that can ill afford to give them that.

Finally, you say that 'certain' aspects of the game are better today then they were?

You know I'm not sure about that and viewing things from historical misty eyed pov is not always the best way and it may be a question of age when I loved this club since I was ten years old, 63 years ago now and still do and I went in the darker days but it didn't bother me and why I went far flung grounds on my own sometimes to see my team as people do in their hundreds now, bless em...But I really don't enjoy the experience like i did and I can't think about many improvements you mention? Better pitches, certainly and amazing how fit they were to play on such pitches as they did because people say the players are faster and quicker now and with all the facilities they have now, it would be foolish to disagree but whether that translates into a 'better' experience for us fans, I don't know? Its OK sitting in the stands and that side has improved but its not something that bothers me and is secondary to the football.

Also defensive football and clogging up the pitch has made for worse football when the formations back then allowed players more freedom to express themselves. Our corners and throw ins are diabolical and again poor tactics and coaching imo as the GK has 18 players surrounding him and much better to leave three or four near the halfway line where they have to leave the same number and its better all round but try and tell that to the manager as I did to Dario one time and he just shrugged his shoulders....

Its a great topic that everyone has an opinion and quite right too..

We should downgrade our academy which won't affect the local lads and we save half a million per season right away is my suggestion..

ATB

Mike
    Finally Mike, your view on coaching in the above is the same as the people you've been arguing against!!! Nobody is saying any different.

Just a point on Brentford and Huddersfield who are downgrading as well aren't they?, they have the benefit of huge investment in the first team so an Academy is less important certainly as a supply line to the first team. Brentford's owner has chucked in over £100m for example. We are not comparable.

I do however think your last point may have to happen whether we like it or not purely based on our financial situation. How can we keep pouring the money in without recouping any from sales. Unfortunately in this day and age I don't see how we can ever return to the heady heights of the "sustained" Championship days without massive investment. The very nature of cycles means we could potentially do a Shrewsbury or even a Rochdale but don't see how it would be sustained.

I no longer understand what the disagreements are about as we ALL seem to think coaching is the same. What does differ is the understanding of what coaching achieves. If you have no talent/balance/fitness then no amount of coaching will make you the best player in the world. Even players who have a lot of talent are stymied by their personality (can think about a few from the Alex who lost their way) or physical changes. Also, not all coaches are equally good at their profession. So the point about coaching is that it makes better of what we already have but it does NOT mean it can turn anyone into the best there is. Neither players nor coaches are machines and therefore outcomes will be variable and, in the end, money will buy the best coaches!! Which leads directly to Pep and Man City - City have had their money for a few years now (during which time they have had at least 4 other managers/head coaches) but only this year have they started to look invincible.

Are our youngsters really so far behind the quality produced in previous years?
    Take out the obvious exception of Nick Powell, who was a 'one-off', then we have in recent years had Westwood playing in the Premier League, though now only on the bench at Burnley, after dropping down a level with Villa; there was Murphy also, who has been surplus to requirements at Leeds, but has been doing a job for Burton at the foot of the Championship. Max left us, perhaps under a bit of a cloud, but hasn't fulfilled his promise largely due to a couple of long-term injuries; perhaps he would've been Championship standard, who knows? Colclough went to Wigan but barely had a look-in during their relegation season, and is now on the fringes of their promotion-bidding team in League One. The club have received some sell-on money from Westwood's sale, plus that of Grant Hanley, who left here when 16; he's now playing in the Championship; I believe we received some money 'behind the scenes' for Dan Trickett-Smith, who, with his family's backing, was adamant that switching to Liverpool was his best move. He's now playing for Leek Town, at a level below Nantwich; hopefully Neil Baker will help the lad on his way up again.
    Obviously there were young Crewe Alexandra 'products' before 2012 - in the past - who played at the top level; some of our favourite names of course, but what they all had in common was that they were all sold when Crewe's fortunes were on the up, except perhaps Rob Hulse, who I think I'm right in saying, left after Ashton? Powell, Westwood, Murphy also left when Crewe were doing well.
    I think this is an important point. Sadly Crewe have become sucked into a cycle (at least I hope it's a cycle), and it's particularly difficult for even our best young players to consistently affect results and performances.
    What are they actually worth in the current market? We know that an outstanding talent like Powell can attract a minimum figure of £3m. Exeter have sold two players for over £1m - again from out of League Two. (And yes, I know that Exeter have only a Cat 3 Academy, but their geographical position, enables them to keep hold of more young talent, despite any overtures from bigger clubs.) It is still possible to sell players for that sort of fee, but Exeter were on the up when selling, as Crewe once were: my point.
    James Jones was close to a move to the Championship, reportedly for £350k, and no doubt with add-ons. The buying club, reported to be Preston, obviously felt he was of the required standard. Could Cooper command a similar fee? Maybe a bit less I think, but with add-ons of course. In a successful side he could look even better than he does sometimes; he has a high 'goal assist' rate within this division. Ainley is becoming influential. Owen Dale, currently on loan at Witton Albion, could also command a good fee some time in the future; maybe Wintle too? There could even be what Dario used to call a "high flyer" somewhere down the line.
    So that's several names in the squad now; my point being that we've rarely had any more than that in a squad at any given time, who could play higher; so have things changed so much? I know Crewe are only in the 4th tier, but the huge influx of foreign players in the higher divisions, and even in League One, has pushed British talent further down the pyramid.

Mike so often says that it's all about local boys training and hoping to play for their local team, but what do we mean by 'local'? He has given examples of parents finding it hard to sustain their commitment to turning up at the Academy, and of course that's always going to be the case in youth sport, but there are always plenty who do bring their lad along from further than Cheshire East and north Staffs, and that's testament to the work they do at Reaseheath. I would contend that boys come to Crewe for the same reason they always have: if they're good enough, and work hard enough, and get lucky with non-injury, then they're more likely to have a chance of first team football, with Crewe Alexandra, than any other club in the wider area. On top of that, having a Category 2 Academy enables them to develop and improve their game from a younger age, and at a club with fine facilities, rather than would be the case if in a lower category. Downgrading would inevitably reduce the club's capacity to attract potential talent from beyond the immediate area.

Of course, as Roebuck says, economics may yet dictate that another path becomes necessary. The market for Crewe's better players has shrunk, partly due to the foreign influx, even in the 2nd tier, partly due to so many other clubs endeavouring to do the same job. Wage differentials are such, these days, that we, as spectators, feel almost lucky to get to see our best products for more than a couple of seasons; the temptation is there; the agents hover. The Crewe 'model' is based upon years of improving facilities with a view to improving players, so the board is hardly likely to throw that all away at the drop of a hat. We're 'on the cusp', I'd admit that, but the solution lies in the fortunes of the first team, through a mix of older and younger players gelling, and getting results and confidence. Our young players would then be worth more, and they might even enjoy playing in front of that big 'judge & jury' main stand.

Quote Originally Posted by bigroof View Post
    Are our youngsters really so far behind the quality produced in previous years?
    Take out the obvious exception of Nick Powell, who was a 'one-off', then we have in recent years had Westwood playing in the Premier League, though now only on the bench at Burnley, after dropping down a level with Villa; there was Murphy also, who has been surplus to requirements at Leeds, but has been doing a job for Burton at the foot of the Championship. Max left us, perhaps under a bit of a cloud, but hasn't fulfilled his promise largely due to a couple of long-term injuries; perhaps he would've been Championship standard, who knows? Colclough went to Wigan but barely had a look-in during their relegation season, and is now on the fringes of their promotion-bidding team in League One. The club have received some sell-on money from Westwood's sale, plus that of Grant Hanley, who left here when 16; he's now playing in the Championship; I believe we received some money 'behind the scenes' for Dan Trickett-Smith, who, with his family's backing, was adamant that switching to Liverpool was his best move. He's now playing for Leek Town, at a level below Nantwich; hopefully Neil Baker will help the lad on his way up again.
    Obviously there were young Crewe Alexandra 'products' before 2012 - in the past - who played at the top level; some of our favourite names of course, but what they all had in common was that they were all sold when Crewe's fortunes were on the up, except perhaps Rob Hulse, who I think I'm right in saying, left after Ashton? Powell, Westwood, Murphy also left when Crewe were doing well.
    I think this is an important point. Sadly Crewe have become sucked into a cycle (at least I hope it's a cycle), and it's particularly difficult for even our best young players to consistently affect results and performances.
    What are they actually worth in the current market? We know that an outstanding talent like Powell can attract a minimum figure of £3m. Exeter have sold two players for over £1m - again from out of League Two. (And yes, I know that Exeter have only a Cat 3 Academy, but their geographical position, enables them to keep hold of more young talent, despite any overtures from bigger clubs.) It is still possible to sell players for that sort of fee, but Exeter were on the up when selling, as Crewe once were: my point.
    James Jones was close to a move to the Championship, reportedly for £350k, and no doubt with add-ons. The buying club, reported to be Preston, obviously felt he was of the required standard. Could Cooper command a similar fee? Maybe a bit less I think, but with add-ons of course. In a successful side he could look even better than he does sometimes; he has a high 'goal assist' rate within this division. Ainley is becoming influential. Owen Dale, currently on loan at Witton Albion, could also command a good fee some time in the future; maybe Wintle too? There could even be what Dario used to call a "high flyer" somewhere down the line.
    So that's several names in the squad now; my point being that we've rarely had any more than that in a squad at any given time, who could play higher; so have things changed so much? I know Crewe are only in the 4th tier, but the huge influx of foreign players in the higher divisions, and even in League One, has pushed British talent further down the pyramid.

Mike so often says that it's all about local boys training and hoping to play for their local team, but what do we mean by 'local'? He has given examples of parents finding it hard to sustain their commitment to turning up at the Academy, and of course that's always going to be the case in youth sport, but there are always plenty who do bring their lad along from further than Cheshire East and north Staffs, and that's testament to the work they do at Reaseheath. I would contend that boys come to Crewe for the same reason they always have: if they're good enough, and work hard enough, and get lucky with non-injury, then they're more likely to have a chance of first team football, with Crewe Alexandra, than any other club in the wider area. On top of that, having a Category 2 Academy enables them to develop and improve their game from a younger age, and at a club with fine facilities, rather than would be the case if in a lower category. Downgrading would inevitably reduce the club's capacity to attract potential talent from beyond the immediate area.

Of course, as Roebuck says, economics may yet dictate that another path becomes necessary. The market for Crewe's better players has shrunk, partly due to the foreign influx, even in the 2nd tier, partly due to so many other clubs endeavouring to do the same job. Wage differentials are such, these days, that we, as spectators, feel almost lucky to get to see our best products for more than a couple of seasons; the temptation is there; the agents hover. The Crewe 'model' is based upon years of improving facilities with a view to improving players, so the board is hardly likely to throw that all away at the drop of a hat. We're 'on the cusp', I'd admit that, but the solution lies in the fortunes of the first team, through a mix of older and younger players gelling, and getting results and confidence. Our young players would then be worth more, and they might even enjoy playing in front of that big 'judge & jury' main stand.
    Hi Derek, good to see your response as you are more familiar with the youth footballers here and watch them maybe as much as anyone. And your comments are interesting when I too was thinking how many really good footballers we have produced over the years from the academy and probably not that high a ratio and that is changing as you say with more foreign born players coming over here and especially playing in the Championship where that was our secondary sell on marketplace. The question though is, are we are only Cat2 on the back of those earlier million pound sales and so what next the board must surely be wondering. The money must be drying up from those sales now? It would seem that more clubs are either downgrading academies like we will at some point or even ditching them all together as they too see how much they cost and maybe the FA will have to revisit the requirements for the different levels so clubs can decide how many coaches THEY want and more important, what they can afford and not jsut what the FA wants...

I'm not convinced its all about Crewe giving them a chance in league football in L2 or even L1, I suspect as said above that parents and thus the kids see themselves as PL players and most will never make it and AlexMick makes the same point as I do in that the big difference between Alex players of yesteryear and now is one of attitude whereby they had a bond with the fans back then and that doesn't exist now, maybe rose coloured specs again I don't know but I don't think their ambition is L2 football and why we see players not signing contracts which can only be about money and not repaying the time and money spent on them which if I was Chairman would tell the manager not to play them which may be cutting off their noses and affect sales but that is just what I would do. i would not tolerate that at all. ie the players could not give a toss about the supporters even though they pay their wages.

If Liverpool are sending transport to pick up kids in the NW region as reported above, then that a further nail in our academy coffin as parents will find that a real luxury when they don't have to do that. How about us trying that out? I'm not a fan of coaching under 14's as too many things change and it must be far more productive to do it the Brentford way when they can see them more as adults rather than children. I don't know what schools do now with football because so many facilities were sold off and so why most clubs incl non league encourage youngsters to go along for some kind of coaching and encouragement if they have the aptitude for the game.

Of course the really big factor as you rightly say is our league position and how that reflects on sales but the step up to rough and tough L2 football is a big step from the academy and why we are suffering which is circular. It will be interesting to see how the PL carry on with their academies even though they have money to burn, its still a big cost to them as it is us....I still think the FA should pay all the costs of lower league academies via fixed contributions from the PL clubs and their sponsors as its a pittance compared with their income. Then they are truly interested in our national team and our future as expecting clubs of our size to spend what they do is not sustainable....imo of course..

ATB as usual,

Mike
    Last edited by MikeSB; 11-01-2018 at 09:04 PM.

As bigroof says, we are lucky to see our best players for more than a season or two. I hear Callum Ainley will not sign a new contract in the summer.

Some fair points there Mike, though I do think Crewe's selling point is still the lure of first team football, to learn the professional game before moving on - upwards they hope of course.
    It'll be interesting to see if any changes might be made to the Academy structure in the next few years; the current 'model' has had five years now I think. There are quite a few Academy products actually beginning, slowly, to make their mark in Premiership squads.
    As for the lower divisions, of course we can all 'wish' that costs are covered by the wealthy, but that's not going to happen is it? I think their thinking is flawed though. Logically they see each Category as being able - potentially - to produce better players than the one beneath. True we get about two fifths of our costs paid for us, but really they should offer a price that actually makes it cheaper to run at Category Two, than at Category Three, if they want to see better players produced - whoever they may end up playing for.
    The next half of the season - for Crewe - will be interesting, and maybe pivotal. It could be the end of an era, or, equally, could be a case of 'onwards and upwards', and proof positive of what the club is all about.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12