Are our youngsters really so far behind the quality produced in previous years?
Take out the obvious exception of Nick Powell, who was a 'one-off', then we have in recent years had Westwood playing in the Premier League, though now only on the bench at Burnley, after dropping down a level with Villa; there was Murphy also, who has been surplus to requirements at Leeds, but has been doing a job for Burton at the foot of the Championship. Max left us, perhaps under a bit of a cloud, but hasn't fulfilled his promise largely due to a couple of long-term injuries; perhaps he would've been Championship standard, who knows? Colclough went to Wigan but barely had a look-in during their relegation season, and is now on the fringes of their promotion-bidding team in League One. The club have received some sell-on money from Westwood's sale, plus that of Grant Hanley, who left here when 16; he's now playing in the Championship; I believe we received some money 'behind the scenes' for Dan Trickett-Smith, who, with his family's backing, was adamant that switching to Liverpool was his best move. He's now playing for Leek Town, at a level below Nantwich; hopefully Neil Baker will help the lad on his way up again.
Obviously there were young Crewe Alexandra 'products' before 2012 - in the past - who played at the top level; some of our favourite names of course, but what they all had in common was that they were all sold when Crewe's fortunes were on the up, except perhaps Rob Hulse, who I think I'm right in saying, left after Ashton? Powell, Westwood, Murphy also left when Crewe were doing well.
I think this is an important point. Sadly Crewe have become sucked into a cycle (at least I hope it's a cycle), and it's particularly difficult for even our best young players to consistently affect results and performances.
What are they actually worth in the current market? We know that an outstanding talent like Powell can attract a minimum figure of £3m. Exeter have sold two players for over £1m - again from out of League Two. (And yes, I know that Exeter have only a Cat 3 Academy, but their geographical position, enables them to keep hold of more young talent, despite any overtures from bigger clubs.) It is still possible to sell players for that sort of fee, but Exeter were on the up when selling, as Crewe once were: my point.
James Jones was close to a move to the Championship, reportedly for £350k, and no doubt with add-ons. The buying club, reported to be Preston, obviously felt he was of the required standard. Could Cooper command a similar fee? Maybe a bit less I think, but with add-ons of course. In a successful side he could look even better than he does sometimes; he has a high 'goal assist' rate within this division. Ainley is becoming influential. Owen Dale, currently on loan at Witton Albion, could also command a good fee some time in the future; maybe Wintle too? There could even be what Dario used to call a "high flyer" somewhere down the line.
So that's several names in the squad now; my point being that we've rarely had any more than that in a squad at any given time, who could play higher; so have things changed so much? I know Crewe are only in the 4th tier, but the huge influx of foreign players in the higher divisions, and even in League One, has pushed British talent further down the pyramid.

Mike so often says that it's all about local boys training and hoping to play for their local team, but what do we mean by 'local'? He has given examples of parents finding it hard to sustain their commitment to turning up at the Academy, and of course that's always going to be the case in youth sport, but there are always plenty who do bring their lad along from further than Cheshire East and north Staffs, and that's testament to the work they do at Reaseheath. I would contend that boys come to Crewe for the same reason they always have: if they're good enough, and work hard enough, and get lucky with non-injury, then they're more likely to have a chance of first team football, with Crewe Alexandra, than any other club in the wider area. On top of that, having a Category 2 Academy enables them to develop and improve their game from a younger age, and at a club with fine facilities, rather than would be the case if in a lower category. Downgrading would inevitably reduce the club's capacity to attract potential talent from beyond the immediate area.

Of course, as Roebuck says, economics may yet dictate that another path becomes necessary. The market for Crewe's better players has shrunk, partly due to the foreign influx, even in the 2nd tier, partly due to so many other clubs endeavouring to do the same job. Wage differentials are such, these days, that we, as spectators, feel almost lucky to get to see our best products for more than a couple of seasons; the temptation is there; the agents hover. The Crewe 'model' is based upon years of improving facilities with a view to improving players, so the board is hardly likely to throw that all away at the drop of a hat. We're 'on the cusp', I'd admit that, but the solution lies in the fortunes of the first team, through a mix of older and younger players gelling, and getting results and confidence. Our young players would then be worth more, and they might even enjoy playing in front of that big 'judge & jury' main stand.