+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT ~ Computer freezing issues

OT ~ Computer freezing issues

After the recent news that computers with Intel CPUs had serious security issues, Microsoft issued a security update about a week ago as an emergency measure.....this update was "forced" onto most computers particularly Windows 10 users ie you had no choice and your computer kept insisting that you "restart" your computer immediately.

I hit my restart on Thursday or Friday and ever since then my computer has been freezing or locking up and the only way out was to turn it off at the power supply, let the computer scan for errors, which it never finds, then roll~back the computer to the last restore point, if you hit the "continue to log onto my computer" button it will continue to freeze up again....vicious cycle.....then the process starts again because the "dodgy" update is still sat in the update queue waiting to download....it is a pain in the proverbial and is apparently because I DO NOT have an Intel processor, mine is an AMD Athlon 4050e.

If anyone is having the same problems, the only solution that I can find is to PAUSE the forced updates for 35 days on the UPDATE AND SECURITY page under the SETTING ICON WHEEL~COG THINGY on the START MENU.

I assume that Microsoft will find a fix for us non~Intel users by then, or else it will force the download and start freezing computers again......shambolic

Quote Originally Posted by tarquinbeech View Post
    After the recent news that computers with Intel CPUs had serious security issues, Microsoft issued a security update about a week ago as an emergency measure.....this update was "forced" onto most computers particularly Windows 10 users ie you had no choice and your computer kept insisting that you "restart" your computer immediately.

I hit my restart on Thursday or Friday and ever since then my computer has been freezing or locking up and the only way out was to turn it off at the power supply, let the computer scan for errors, which it never finds, then roll~back the computer to the last restore point, if you hit the "continue to log onto my computer" button it will continue to freeze up again....vicious cycle.....then the process starts again because the "dodgy" update is still sat in the update queue waiting to download....it is a pain in the proverbial and is apparently because I DO NOT have an Intel processor, mine is an AMD Athlon 4050e.

If anyone is having the same problems, the only solution that I can find is to PAUSE the forced updates for 35 days on the UPDATE AND SECURITY page under the SETTING ICON WHEEL~COG THINGY on the START MENU.

I assume that Microsoft will find a fix for us non~Intel users by then, or else it will force the download and start freezing computers again......shambolic
    Oh dear - they (attempt to) fix a problem and create an even bigger one. Don't worry, Windows 11 will sort all that out (says me on his Windows XP {updates long disabled} ah ah).

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/0...d_powered_pcs/

I don't think it is the first time nor will it be the last the mshaft have failed so spectacularly.

I won't go Win10 and other machines here are either XP or Win7. Next OS is Linux. If you only browse and email then Linux is a no-brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    Oh dear - they (attempt to) fix a problem and create an even bigger one. Don't worry, Windows 11 will sort all that out (says me on his Windows XP {updates long disabled} ah ah).

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/0...d_powered_pcs/

I don't think it is the first time nor will it be the last the mshaft have failed so spectacularly.

I won't go Win10 and other machines here are either XP or Win7. Next OS is Linux. If you only browse and email then Linux is a no-brainer.
    The whole thing is a joke, surely they test out these updates on different computers before "forcing" them on the end~user?

I cannot see a "disable button" in Windows 10, only the "pause for 35 days" button so basically I have to accept their updates and hope they are not going to crash my computer......the geek forums are full of people with exactly the same problems....as I said, shambolic, the hours I have wasted hitting Scandsk, DISM and System Restore in both normal and safe mode is laughable.....at one point I ran a "restore my computer to factory settings and a clean Windows 10 download" which took a full afternoon......then I spent the evening putting back all my bookmarks and passwords

The whole thing is a joke, surely they test out these updates on different computers before "forcing" them on the end~user?

I cannot see a "disable button" in Windows 10, only the "pause for 35 days" button so basically I have to accept their updates and hope they are not going to crash my computer......the geek forums are full of people with exactly the same problems....as I said, shambolic, the hours I have wasted hitting Scandsk, DISM and System Restore in both normal and safe mode is laughable.....at one point I ran a "restore my computer to factory settings and a clean Windows 10 download" which took a full afternoon......then I spent the evening putting back all my bookmarks and passwords
    May help:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/turn-o...-in-windows-10

Actually, Tarkers, Windows Club do have some useful tools for probs with Win 10 puters. Try googling 'winfix 10' and that should take you there. As for win 11, most peeps in the 'know' don't seem to think there will be one. Win 10 it seems will just keep on updating, ad infibloodynitum. Linux is ok, have used it many times but it's a bit more 'hands on' than others, Elementary, Mint or Ubuntu are pretty user friendly and just lately I've been using Solus which is actually pretty good.

They are testing it out - why do you think you got the update? They're not going to waste their own resources doing what users can do better.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    Cheers Gumpy, if it is not sorted within my 35 day "pause" I will try the "disable route" suggested in the link.....thanks

I'd imagine they do a fair bit of testing (though the problem being leaked out did force an early release, as you can't leave it alone too long when people know there's an exploit to sniff for). The biggest problem though is that there are SO many hardware combinations that are possible, and when you're patching an issue with one of the central parts of the PC, that every single component has to work with, testing every possibility is very much impossible. That being said, there are steps Microsoft could, and should, take to make the situation easier on those who do encounter problems.
    As for the issue of your CPU being an AMD, there are issues affecting Intel, AMD and ARM, it's only the most serious one that only affects Intel, but there are still some issues that needed patching for AMD and ARM CPU users as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pie_Scribe View Post
    As for the issue of your CPU being an AMD, there are issues affecting Intel, AMD and ARM, it's only the most serious one that only affects Intel, but there are still some issues that needed patching for AMD and ARM CPU users as well.
    Flucking hell, am I the only one that sees this post as being written in a foreign language?

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Flucking hell, am I the only one that sees this post as being written in a foreign language?
    I wouldn't have thought it was any worse than pretty much all of the other posts in the thread, but just to clear it up...
    Intel, AMD and ARM are manufacturers of computer processors (CPUs). Several issues have been found with chips made by all 3 companies, but most seriously with the Intel chips. Companies that make computer software using these chips have had to issue updates to resolve the issue. Intel and AMD chips are used in standard PCs, running Windows or Linux, and Intel are also used in Apple Mac computers. ARM chips are used in most mobile devices such as smart phones and tablets, and so the issue with those can affect Android phones and tablets, and also Apple iphones and ipads.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast