+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lai?

As I started this thread and reading other comments I have come to the conclusion that Lai isn't interested in football or West Bromwich Albion as a football club. I'm not interested in free scarves or a free pint, I want real investment in the club. As for FFP, as '53 states, other clubs like Leicester, seem to be able to spend money. Why can't we?

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    As I started this thread and reading other comments I have come to the conclusion that Lai isn't interested in football or West Bromwich Albion as a football club. I'm not interested in free scarves or a free pint, I want real investment in the club. As for FFP, as '53 states, other clubs like Leicester, seem to be able to spend money. Why can't we?
    And now we get reports tonight that the Wilfs have bid £35M for Andre Silva, when you take into account that they have 4 other players on loan three of them crucial to their first 11 and Boly on a 45M Euros release clause it baffles me as his they are getting around this Ffp,sure they may be on lower wages than prem players but would rocket northward upon promotion

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    Exactly Al.

It drives me nuts on here and on Radio WM when fans start crying...."where's all the £100m a year gone?

HELLOOOOO.........it's gone on wages,we are one of the highest leveraged clubs in the Prem in terms of wages against turnover.

Why can't people understand this simple fact?

One of the ways you get around this problem is to produce your own quality youngsters,play them whilst paying them fairly poorly and then sell them on for s h I t loads like Southampton have done.

We have a pathetically poor owner and a terrible chairman along with a pathetic recruitment guy and the useless Garlick.

It's a shambles from top to bottom.

My thoughts! It's easy to blame the captain ( manager ) whether it's Pulis, Pardew or Barry Fry who could be next. The real culprits are the Board/Owner who are rotten to the core - in plain old English - they are a useless pathetic bunch of W ANKERS!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WBA53 View Post
    And now we get reports tonight that the Wilfs have bid £35M for Andre Silva, when you take into account that they have 4 other players on loan three of them crucial to their first 11 and Boly on a 45M Euros release clause it baffles me as his they are getting around this Ffp,sure they may be on lower wages than prem players but would rocket northward upon promotion
    They'll leave that fine behind in the championship if they go up. Just like Bournemouth did.

To be fair I think Leicester have funded their own transfers. That team that won the league cost nothing. Add to that prize money, a bigger stadium/ more income, a good champion's league run. Plus the fees received for Kante and Drinkwater, nearly £70m.

I have to admit that I am not that 'aux fais' with the FFP system. Perhaps someone who does, could give me a potted version.

Quote Originally Posted by goodlordmurphy View Post
    I will reiterate for the ump****th time on one thread or another...it's only doing the average that keeps the average down...to remain in an average position you must strive for the top, there is a lot of difference between doing the average and achieving the average....innit
    Spot on GLM. Our ambition as a club has been for way too long to survive on the minimum investment. Problem is, others with more ambition overtake us so all we do is move backwards and we are now paying the price. Lai gave us warning in the takeover when he indicated it was more of the same as under JP. So why fuc**n bother? The acid test will be whether a striker comes in. My feeling is that they are using FFP whilst it is a factor its a convenient argument if nothing of any significance happens. The Dings and a few others don’t seem to perturbed by it We’ve time to get out of this mess but I guess we’ll see what our board are made of as none of them has track records that fill me with confidence. After 8 years in the Premier, we’re reaping what we’ve sown. Sh*** isn’t it?

I have to admit that I am not that 'aux fais' with the FFP system. Perhaps someone who does, could give me a potted version.
    Here you go mate.
    Hope it helps.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/29361839

Clearly doing things properly and within the rules does not put trophies in the cabinet.
    Teams that have bent the rules or spent beyond their means in the past have had their "day in the sunshine" Coventry, Wigan, Portsmouth, Leeds. Yes they are in lower leagues but their supporters have the memory of their team lifting a trophy. We haven't had that.
    So in years to come we can tell our grandkids we didn't win anything but we were run properly and Jeremy Peace did wonders for the club. Oh and we were average in the Premier League for 7 seasons.

I see it mentioned that quite a bit depends on the injection of finances by the owner and for any overspend the owners have to be 'good for it'. I mentioned on another thread some time ago that our owners would have to stand up and be counted when push came to shove.
    When I was a lad there was a saying about tall stories or 'lais' if you like...people would say 'that's like 5hit from China...far fetched'...many a true word spoken in jest...

I would like nothing better if our owners confounded this post.

What i don't understand is, surely it is essential to the new owner for us to stay in the Prem to gain any potential profit/return on his investment? If we go down we will lose multi millions from tv rights, sponsors ect ect. Surely it would be wise to spend now & potentially take a hit with a fine, as surely staying in the prem & paying said fine would outweigh going down & losing so much ££££££.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)