+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shelvey and Mitrovic

I'm afraid all of the teams sniffing around Mitro realise that he is a bit of a bell end that will spend half the season suspended. There is very little point in sending him out on loan so we have to pray that someone out there will be daft enough to pay top dollar for him.

Lets not forget Gayle, Fulham seem keen and he would fetch Ģ15m. If they don't get decent money for Mitro I could see Gayle heading off to London to release some funds for a proper striker.

We should have a couple of new signings in the bag by now, even if the sale is ongoing, they should surely be able to factor in some funds for new players as it is to the benefit of both parties.

Rafa shouldn't have to sacrifice any player that he doesn't want to lose but it looks as though that is what he is being forced to do.

Quote Originally Posted by ashingtoon62 View Post
    Quite unfair on Shevey like!
    You just can't in anyway compare him or his disciplinary record to the Psycho that is Mitro..
    Mitro already had EIGHT red cards before we signed him..
    Last season Shelvey's ONE red card was recinded,as it should have been..
    Right Shelvey's petulant baby tread on that cnut Ali,it was fecking stupid and unprofessional.He shouldn't have done it but it was hardly ganning to brek his leg..
    Now Mitros red against wet spam..We were 1-0 up (I think) he comes on and deliberately elbows Lanzini in the heed,a player he doesn't even know,he has never played agaist him ever..Nothing had happened between them on the field,so why when playing such an important game would he do this???
    Cos there's deffo something wrong in his fecking heed..Its exactly like walking in to a bar and heedbutting the first punter you see..
    This is why he's not playing and oh aye he's sh ite...
    At least Shelvey has some skill and I wouldn't tek a penny less than Ģ25 million not that I think he's for sale.
    Why should everyone elses players double in value and not ours?
    Good post and especially the last sentence. Before Shelvey (and after Cabaye) we were all crying out for a creative midfielder and now we have one, people want rid. Shelvey has his good side and bad but is the most creative passing player we have. Heīs English and can turn matches and so if we donīt get at least 25-30 million, then keep him.
    Mitro is another story. I love his attitude when itīs within the rules and I like a strong centre forward but you canīt have a player on the team who can cost you the game at any second. Also his finishing, despite being better than Joseluīs IMO, isnīt good enough for the PL.

Quote Originally Posted by toptoon View Post
    Good post and especially the last sentence. Before Shelvey (and after Cabaye) we were all crying out for a creative midfielder and now we have one, people want rid. Shelvey has his good side and bad but is the most creative passing player we have. Heīs English and can turn matches and so if we donīt get at least 25-30 million, then keep him.
    Mitro is another story. I love his attitude when itīs within the rules and I like a strong centre forward but you canīt have a player on the team who can cost you the game at any second. Also his finishing, despite being better than Joseluīs IMO, isnīt good enough for the PL.
    There have been many players, though, who have needed more than their fair share of second chances, and then have turned into great forwards exactly because they were shown enough faith the right amount of times.

I agree with you that Mitrovic can cost us the game at any minute, but so can Shelvey. Neither are to be trusted, if we follow Rafa's definition of trust (as discussed on this board many times). It puzzles me how he has shown Mitro into the dark and insisted on playing Joselu, it really does. I'm a fan of the man, but this one I cannot understand, especially during the period when we were losing 1-0 all the time and crying out for a striker. Mitrovic is many things, but he can be big mouthful for a lot of defenders in this league. Strange.

Also, his finishing is not that bad, though it's not his strength of course. For a player who has come on as a sub quite at lot, 15 goals in 64 appearances is quite a decent record. Better than Joselu's I'll bet you.

Quote Originally Posted by HughieG View Post
    but he can be big mouthful for a lot of defenders in this league.

I do hope you meant "handfull" ?

They are obviously not in Rafa's plans so while slightly above average players are going for silly money (Sissoko's fee comes to mind), should we get a good offer on either of them then it would be mindless not to cash in.

After all unless we can unearth a gem from somewhere we will finish up spending silly money to replace them.

Quote Originally Posted by ex_pat_magpie View Post
    They are obviously not in Rafa's plans so while slightly above average players are going for silly money (Sissoko's fee comes to mind), should we get a good offer on either of them then it would be mindless not to cash in.

After all unless we can unearth a gem from somewhere we will finish up spending silly money to replace them.

I think we would struggle to move either of themselves on. Bearing in mind that Liverpool and Swansea have already got shot of Shelvey.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherTerryMac View Post

I think we would struggle to move either of themselves on. Bearing in mind that Liverpool and Swansea have already got shot of Shelvey.
    Swansea got what was a reasonably decent price for Shelvey from us and since then he's been on the edge of the England squad so he'd be an ideal fill in for someone of a know all like Phartdue, trying to make a name for himself again.

I don't hear too many plaudits for him on here but I quite like Shelvey - creative and an eye for a pass.

Ok, he's not much use in a scrap but we've had a lot worse in our midfield. Stick a David Batty by his side and you would see a different player.

I'd rather see him here this season than turning out for West Ham.

I quite like Jonjo too Billy

Shelvey staying.

Rafa Benitez.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)