+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Mayor Reports Barkley's Transfer to Police

Mayor Reports Barkley's Transfer to Police

Liverpool mayor lodges police report on Ross Barkley's transfer to Everton at less than half the price it was during the previous window.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/...yor-liverpool/

I have no idea how true his allegations are. Probably unlikely, but just looking at it, it does open up sneaky possibilities.
    Imagine a player is targeted for a big money move, obviously his agent will do the negotiating. If the interested club is open to a sneaky backdoor deal, then it becomes easy. Say the fee is 10m, tell the agent ok hold on let it drop to 4m or less, we offer 2 million in a brown envelope if the player will come in say 6 months to years time.
    The problem lies in the overblown transfer fees.
    Of course for any such deal to go through, the 3 parties must keep mum and they have every incentive to do so. The real risk is with club, more than 1 person there might know about it and spill the beans is he's kicked out in future.

The player and agent have every reason not to, both would banned for long periods and even jailed. Of course the club would be sanctioned as well, but they would not be closed down only a transfer ban and fine and can push the blame to 1 or more errant employees.
    But still it's a 'profitable business' to engage in and I won't be at all surprised that such things have been occurring under the radar for long time.

Hmmmm. "Refuse to sign now, we can save half the fee come January and you and your agent get a decent slice of that as a signing on fee" seeme to be the suggestion here.

If the signing on fee is "inflated" then there might be something to look at here. Otherwise the mayor will look a right pillock.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Hmmmm. "Refuse to sign now, we can save half the fee come January and you and your agent get a decent slice of that as a signing on fee" seeme to be the suggestion here.

If the signing on fee is "inflated" then there might be something to look at here. Otherwise the mayor will look a right pillock.

Yes it fell from 35 million in July to 15m in January, an astonishing drop in value even with the contract running out etc.

I made comment on this fee last week. 24yr old England international goes for same money as Assombalonga.

with transfer fees spiraling out of control is it any surprise people are trying to find ways to reduce the amounts involved. Coutinho 140m? van Dijk 75m? PSG paying whatever they feel like and creating hyper inflation in a small sector. I dont blame people finding loopholes, and if it brings down transfer price inflation then I am all for it.

Of course this might not have been the driving force behind the pricing changes, but whatever, it helps

I can see your point Roger.
    If not for it being criminal I would agree whole heartedly

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)