+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Tommy Lawrence dies aged 77

Tommy Lawrence dies aged 77

Ex Liverpool keeper,probably the first keeper/sweeper.His nickname was the Flyin pig cos of his ability to dive all over the place despite weighin 14stone(plus) RIP Tommy.UTCB

Got his autograph after a Central League game,when they used to play Saturday afternoons at the Lane,can remember him Green shirt,sleeves rolled up,red shorts,red socks,be too small for a goalie in todays game

RIP Tommy

very similar in stature to hodgy r.i.p tommy

I’ve just seen a clip on Twitter from last year where BBC Merseyside were stopping older people in the street and asking them if they attended the great 1967 Liverpool derby which was 50 years to the day.

They stopped Tommy having no idea who he is and he said ‘I should hope so, I played in it, bloomin Bally scored the winner’. The interviewer was gobsmacked.

RIP Tommy.

https://youtu.be/0U_PUbQGA4U

And there's the clip.

Used to be known as the Flying Pig as he carried a bit of weight in his playing days, although he was tiny in comparison to Ron Yeats

Looked a typical 50's scouser. Saw him a few times and he was good, you don't play for Shankley so many times if you're not.

Liverpool had a great team at that time , also remember going to reserve match at lane you lad playing for opposition run the game shouting all over the place the one and only Alan Ball