+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Notts TV Podcast: Alan Hardy Special

Notts TV Podcast: Alan Hardy Special

Cheers Mr Gump. I missed it so appreciate you sharing

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    Cheers Mr Gump. I missed it so appreciate you sharing
    Just to add, well worth a listen !!!

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    Just to add, well worth a listen !!!
    Shame it was before the Yates news, the signing he was close to announcing (this was recorded Tuesday) is still not announced (edit - posted before seeing his twitter) and McParland can't keep his gob shut so we never heard Hardy's answer to the last question.

Oh and what was that figure again, £1.6m. I'll remember it one day. Yes I know it's big money, I thought he'd budgeted for it.
    Last edited by Old_pie; 11-01-2018 at 10:02 AM.

Thanks to Countygump for posting the link.

Hardy mentioned once again that he wouldn't be able to finance us in the Championship. Some forum members were confused when he made this statement previously, thinking he meant the Premier League, but he clarified that he would basically be looking to sell the club should we reach the 2nd tier as he hasn't got the kind of money that Nigel Doughty had. McP and Tommo pointed to Burton Albion but let's be honest, they're not really competing at that level, they survived the drop last season by the skin of their teeth, they're in another relegation battle this season and once they do drop down they're unlikely to return for a very long time, if ever. Stockport County played at that level just 20 years ago, it's no guarantee of a bright future once you get there.

He also said he was aiming to have our own training ground open this time next year.

He should be looking for investors now,when things are good.Div 1 will cost to get out of

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Thanks to Countygump for posting the link.

Hardy mentioned once again that he wouldn't be able to finance us in the Championship. Some forum members were confused when he made this statement previously, thinking he meant the Premier League, but he clarified that he would basically be looking to sell the club should we reach the 2nd tier as he hasn't got the kind of money that Nigel Doughty had. McP and Tommo pointed to Burton Albion but let's be honest, they're not really competing at that level, they survived the drop last season by the skin of their teeth, they're in another relegation battle this season and once they do drop down they're unlikely to return for a very long time, if ever. Stockport County played at that level just 20 years ago, it's no guarantee of a bright future once you get there.

He also said he was aiming to have our own training ground open this time next year.
    Again, that's not how I understood it. My understanding is (just as it was before) that he can finance us to, and has budgeted for, life the Championship but for the Premier Legue he would need to either step aside or bring in other investors.

Again, that's not how I understood it. My understanding is (just as it was before) that he can finance us to, and has budgeted for, life the Championship but for the Premier Legue he would need to either step aside or bring in other investors.
    That's how I interpreted his comments as well, Swale.

18:37mins in...

"I've been very clear, I can take this club to the Championship and then unless we get substantial investment, when you think of how much Nigel Doughty put in, how much Fawaz put in, how much Mel Morris has put in, I haven't got access to that sort of money, it's a different world."

Doughty took over the year Fword were relegated out of the Premier League in 1999, then they went down to League One and, at the time he threw the towel in, they were struggling towards the bottom of the Championship again. I don't think it's being over dramatic to state that trying to maintain Fword in the Championship, backed by one of the very best attendances in the division, literally killed the man. Fawaz was mere goal difference away from overseeing Fword go back down to the 3rd tier, finishing in a lower position every single season he was there.

Hardy wouldn't be making comparisons with Doughty and Fawaz if he was talking about the Premier League, they were not Premier League chairman.

It's incredibly honest of Hardy, I can't imagine many other chairman saying that they wouldn't be able to finance the club beyond promotion to tier 2. But if the club does reach that level, it'll be because it's on an upwards trajectory, because it's well run and with crowds undoubtedly increasing. It'll be an attractive club for any potential new owner with the kind of finances that will be able sustain us at that level or even challenge for the Premier League.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    18:37mins in...

"I've been very clear, I can take this club to the Championship and then unless we get substantial investment, when you think of how much Nigel Doughty put in, how much Fawaz put in, how much Mel Morris has put in, I haven't got access to that sort of money, it's a different world."

Doughty took over the year Fword were relegated out of the Premier League in 1999, then they went down to League One and, at the time he threw the towel in, they were struggling towards the bottom of the Championship again. I don't think it's being over dramatic to state that trying to maintain Fword in the Championship, backed by one of the very best attendances in the division, literally killed the man. Fawaz was mere goal difference away from overseeing Fword go back down to the 3rd tier, finishing in a lower position every single season he was there.

Hardy wouldn't be making comparisons with Doughty and Fawaz if he was talking about the Premier League, they were not Premier League chairman.

It's incredibly honest of Hardy, I can't imagine many other chairman saying that they wouldn't be able to finance the club beyond promotion to tier 2. But if the club does reach that level, it'll be because it's on an upwards trajectory, because it's well run and with crowds undoubtedly increasing. It'll be an attractive club for any potential new owner with the kind of finances that will be able sustain us at that level or even challenge for the Premier League.
    Context is everything and he was responding to KN's ambitions that the club could go all the way and that AH said/meant that Championship was as far as he could go. The references to Fword and Derby were the monies they spent trying to get to the Premiership, monies that AH is clear he doesn't have access to. In some other discussion some weeks/months back he said similar, ie he couldn't take us beyond the Championship. But chickens eggs and hatched we're not out of the basement yet despite his thinking, dangerously in my view, that it is as good as a done deal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast