+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A Second Brexit Referendum..?

Well, me and my family actually live here and so of course I want Britain to be as successful as possible.

I (and you) have heard people say "I will accept being worse off as long as we leave the EU". Sorry, but I will never understand that kind of thinking.

I'm sorry that you can't understand where I am coming from on supporting the call for a second referendum.

It is a totally different question than. "Shall we leave the EU?" The question will be "Now that you know what the deal is, do you want it?"

And I would not be happy to accept ANY deal that Theresa May offers us. I am astounded that you would.

And it is a lot more than a simple trade deal, as you know very well. But, the trade part of the deal will set in stone how we trade with not one, but 27 different countries. The other parts of the deal are very important too.
    God knows what Theresa May will come back with, but in a democracy, on such a once in a lifetime massive issue, it seems a no brainer that the people should decide if they can support it.

We are talking about not just our well being, but our children...and their children.

We need to get this right.

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    Well, me and my family actually live here and so of course I want Britain to be as successful as possible.

I (and you) have heard people say "I will accept being worse off as long as we leave the EU". Sorry, but I will never understand that kind of thinking.

I'm sorry that you can't understand where I am coming from on supporting the call for a second referendum.

It is a totally different question than. "Shall we leave the EU?" The question will be "Now that you know what the deal is, do you want it?"

And I would not be happy to accept ANY deal that Theresa May offers us. I am astounded that you would.

And it is a lot more than a simple trade deal, as you know very well. But, the trade part of the deal will set in stone how we trade with not one, but 27 different countries. The other parts of the deal are very important too.
    God knows what Theresa May will come back with, but in a democracy, on such a once in a lifetime massive issue, it seems a no brainer that the people should decide if they can support it.

We are talking about not just our well being, but our children...and their children.

Weve got it right ,it just needs implementing ASAP

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney1st View Post
    A 2nd referendum wouldn't be a good thing, especially if Leave won again , the remain camp would have a real fit.
    Ain't that the truth!

We had a vote in Parliament to bomb Syria. Millions of us said "No!" but they bombed the poor sods anyway!

I had to accept it even though I fcuking hated it, it's just the same with Brexit but has layers and layers of idiosyncrasies to sort out. Trade deals are but just one facet, we can't have a vote on every blinking issue that comes up that the LibDems don't like!

Quote Originally Posted by alfinyalcabo View Post
    Weve got it right ,it just needs implementing ASAP
    Evening Alf.

So...you know what the final deal is?

Perhaps you can tell our Government then - they have no idea.

Are we staying in the customs union? The single market? Still under the auspices of the European Court? Will there be trade tariffs? Are we staying in Euratom? Will our bankers still be in the banking passport scheme? (***** for our economy). There are literally hundreds of issues to sort out - and we haven't really started yet.

You seem to be saying that none of them are important enough for anyone except Theresa May to have a say in.

Have I got you right?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    We had a vote in Parliament to bomb Syria. Millions of us said "No!" but they bombed the poor sods anyway!

I had to accept it even though I fcuking hated it, it's just the same with Brexit but has layers and layers of idiosyncrasies to sort out. Trade deals are but just one facet, we can't have a vote on every blinking issue that comes up that the LibDems don't like!
    BT, on this subject public opinion is turning so quickly that I reckon there WILL be a second referendum. And it would be democracy in action.

I heard yesterday that the vast majority of Labour voters support a second referendum (Corbyn excepted). Perhaps you should consider joining the Tories or UKIP, who DO support your opinion.

I would absolutely NOT support a second referendum.

Evening Alf.

So...you know what the final deal is?

Perhaps you can tell our Government then - they have no idea.

Are we staying in the customs union? The single market? Still under the auspices of the European Court? Will there be trade tariffs? Are we staying in Euratom? Will our bankers still be in the banking passport scheme? (***** for our economy). There are literally hundreds of issues to sort out - and we haven't really started yet.

You seem to be saying that none of them are important enough for anyone except Theresa May to have a say in.

Have I got you right?
    Evening 59/60...Im saying that myself and millions of other voters all voted to come out of the EU.. More than the millions that voted to stay in the EU..What don't you understand about a democratic vote.? Do you think if the vote had have gone the other way there would have been all this going on?

59/60, I'm not convinced you really know what you're talking about. Cast your mind back to May, 10 Downing Street. Juncker turned up for dinner, and to illustrate the difficulty we faced he dumped the EU/Canada trade deal on the table, all 2,000 pages of it. Now this, according to you was relatively unimportant, the EU never consulted us on it, never mind offered a referendum, so our deal must run to many more than 2,000 pages, how many do you reckon, 3,000 ? 4,000 ? Who knows, but let's be optimistic and settle for 2,000, are you seriously suggesting that a copy should be printed off for everyone in the UK, we all take it to bed, read it, digest it and then vote on it ?

It's complete and utter nonsense, it's simply not practicable, it's not going to happen. Either you don't understand this, and thus as I say, don't know what you're talking about, or you do understand and are being duplicitous, using a referendum on this trade deal to obstruct our leaving the EU.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    59/60, I'm not convinced you really know what you're talking about. Cast your mind back to May, 10 Downing Street. Juncker turned up for dinner, and to illustrate the difficulty we faced he dumped the EU/Canada trade deal on the table, all 2,000 pages of it. Now this, according to you was relatively unimportant, the EU never consulted us on it, never mind offered a referendum, so our deal must run to many more than 2,000 pages, how many do you reckon, 3,000 ? 4,000 ? Who knows, but let's be optimistic and settle for 2,000, are you seriously suggesting that a copy should be printed off for everyone in the UK, we all take it to bed, read it, digest it and then vote on it ?

It's complete and utter nonsense, it's simply not practicable, it's not going to happen. Either you don't understand this, and thus as I say, don't know what you're talking about, or you do understand and are being duplicitous, using a referendum on this trade deal to obstruct our leaving the EU.
    Desperate people will resort to desperate measures to try and get their way,but in this case it's not going to work..

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)