+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A Second Brexit Referendum..?

A 2nd referendum wouldn't be a good thing, especially if Leave won again , the remain camp would have a real fit.

Name:  af6a71a0287c1c2e5828093b0913716d.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  8.0 KB Sidney

Afternoon Sidney! great to see you paying a visit.

On the second referendum...

Some people seem to think that it will be a re-run on 2016.

That is "Should we leave the EU?". That has been and gone and should not be asked again. Well, not for a long time anyway.

The second referendum that some are proposing would ask a totally different question.

Once we know the details of any deal brokered the question would be "Do you think we should accept the deal on offer?"

Second referendum, yes, but a totally different question.

You either believe in democracy or not - I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney1st View Post
    A 2nd referendum wouldn't be a good thing, especially if Leave won again , the remain camp would have a real fit.
    Get back to the dark side..

Haha.. Only joking Sidney..

There won't be a second referendum ..Get over it ..we are going out going out going out..

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney1st View Post
    True enough Sid, and after they'd thrown their toys out of the pram for a 2nd time, they'd find a reason to demand a 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    Afternoon Sidney! great to see you paying a visit.

On the second referendum...

Some people seem to think that it will be a re-run on 2016.

That is "Should we leave the EU?". That has been and gone and should not be asked again. Well, not for a long time anyway.

The second referendum that some are proposing would ask a totally different question.

Once we know the details of any deal brokered the question would be "Do you think we should accept the deal on offer?"

Second referendum, yes, but a totally different question.

You either believe in democracy or not - I do.
    Since we've been in the EU we've never negotiated a trade deal, the EU has done it for us. The most recent one was a deal with Canada. As a believer in democracy 59/60, I'm intrigued to know how you voted when you were asked about the Canada deal. And all the other deals we've done through the good offices of the EU over the last 40 years. Just what is your voting record on these deals ?

Well, that's a new slant Sinkov!

If there had been a referendum on whether the UK should be doing trade deals with Saudi Arabia, Libya etc then I would vote "No".

But, as far as I know, in all our history there has never been a referendum on trade deals with specific countries.

The UK/EU agreement (if we get one) will, of course, include trading agreements but also a whole host of issues. So many in fact that it's importance is so great that we should have our say on whether we agree with it.

It will really be a monumental decision.

It's a trade deal 59/60, governments do trade deals, not us plebs, that's what we elect them for, and pay them for. No trade deal in history has ever gone to a referendum, if I didn't know you were a honourable man, I might suspect you had an ulterior motive, like keeping us in the EU by backdoor methods. But I know you wouldn't stoop so low, and as a strong believer in democracy will be fervently wishing our government every success, as they proceed to enact the democratically expressed wish of the British people to leave the EU.

So why your sudden desire for a referendum on a trade deal ? I think I have the answer, it's the democratic deficit, after 40 years in the EU without a sniff of a vote on any trade deal they negotiated on your behalf, you suddenly feel the overwhelming need to vote on one. I felt a similar overwhelming need to vote in or out of office the people who make the laws I have to live under, which is one of the main reasons I voted Leave. Welcome to the club.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)