+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Travelling

Travelling

I don't claim to have travelled very widely so far, but here are my highlights and lowlights.

My favorite places are the Lake District and Scotland. The beauty of these places is just my cup of tea and I am lucky enough to live within range of both of them.
    Italy is another fave - I have done a lot of cycling and car touring there and love the landscapes, the people and the history. The Bay of Naples is my highlight.
    Malaysia is a fantastic place. The indigenous Islam population are probably the friendliest people I have ever spent time with. But it is a true multi-cultural country and all views are respected. Penang was my highlight.
    Kenya also has a special place in my heart with the warmth of the people and the spectacular national parks. It is a fast growing country and there is a massive gulf between rich and poor.

On the downside, America is just about the most shallow and insincere place I have visited. I felt more unsafe there than anywhere I have ever visited. I have been to New York, Florida and Boston.
    Jordan was just a mess. It is a very male dominated country and there was no beauty about the place.

Places I plan to visit in the future include India, Greenland and New Zealand.

Has anyone got any strong thoughts on places you have visited/would like to visit?

South Africa for me, every time, though I'd stay in the south, Cape Town or George which I have visited a few times as it is very dangerous and violent the more north you go, as you say Safari parks are great but once you have seen one it gets a bit monotonous, although on my last visit I went to an Elephant sanctuary where you can walk, touch and feed them, not just babies but big buggers as well, and you could also stay overnight on a raised floor and view them as they slumber.

Kalkan on the south coast of Turkey is a regular trek for me to my friends villa up on a hill overlooking spectacular views of the Harbour.

Lanzarote is a nice place to get a short quick getaway for sun and walks, going there in early March for a break.

Did not like Mexico much.

Tunisia was fine before the beach tragedy, watched Burnley beat Reading in the semi final going up game there in a pub filled with Claret.

I enjoyed New York 59_60, I used to walk from 8th Avenue all the way up 5th Avenue to Central Park, Bryant Park also is good with constant chess games, table tennis etc, all for free, I did not feel unsafe at any time, Washington also was brilliant, I did not want to go to these 2 places as I saw most Americans as brash and overbearing, but I never met one and it surprised me greatly.

Off to Italy in September, another place I have not visited and didn't want to go, Off next year to visit America's great parks, Yellowstone and all that which I'm looking forward too.

Always wanted to go to China to sail up the yangtze river, terracotta army and all the rest but its so expensive having to get plane flight in China to see their vast Country.

Sri Lanka is another place I want to visit.

Matron wants to go to Canada to see the Whales, I don't see the point as we've seen them in South Africa and I don't think its a holiday if you have to wear your thermals and overcoat

Nice that you have visited all those places 59_60, hopefully I'll catch you up soon

Not been to Australasia, south or Central America or the polar regions. As time goes on I’m less inclined to do long distances so probably they will have to do without me. I have yet to visit many Scottish Islands so I need to see more of them Skye, the outer Hebrides, Orkney and Shetland my priorities. I have lots of England to see too

Places I love
    Nice so good for lots of places on the cote dAzur, Monaco and Italy with lots to see and do there especially walking the 5 mile promenade.
    Barcelona, vibrant city with lots of architecture, beaches, Neu Camp, amazing musical fountain and light shows, Ramblas
    Paris for many reasons
    Sorrento and Capri
    Olhao near Faro in Portugal, very Portuguese, not very touristy but some excellent 5* accommodation, lots of natural parks nearby to see wildlife, and islands with beaches to die for, cheap food in the daily markets and nice promenade to walk on.

In the US Denver and Boston both have lots to see and the Rockies are spectacular, Kansas City Mid West place with good food but not much else, New York vibrant and safe to walk at night, lots of bus tours allow you to hop on and off. Never did a show there but a ride in the Park is a must and a Staten Island trip worth it (its actually free to take the ferry). Boston has lots of history and Irish so isn’t as English friendly, but New England has some beautiful and weird places. We found a Shaker Village by chance which was fascinating. Great seafood. You can whale watch there.
    In Asia we spent two weeks in Kuala Lumpur and a week on Langkawi island in a 5* place with lots of wildlife around you, beaches to die for and you just raised a flag whenever you wanted a drink. You are a pensioner at 55 for cheap tickets. Highlight for us from KL was Penang -the original settlement with Mosques Temples and Churches all on the same street to encourage mixing, and a trip to see the fireflies - synchronised flashing ones.
    We found Japan very different and stayed in Tokyo and travelled to Kyoto, Kobe, Yokohama, Okinawa and more. Difficult to find your way about as little is in English and we couldn’t stop bowing to folk when we came home. Much of Japan was a concrete jungle and cities seemed to merge together like Burnley Nelson and Colne
    St Petersburg was different, not sure I would want to go alone but we were on different tours, so not much free wandering. Lots of pickpockets there at the main tourist sites. Loved the ballet and the Czars tombs and the Church off Split Blood is iconic.

Krakow is pretty with lots of history, the ghetto and Schindler’s factory are unforgettable and close to Auschwitz which hammers it Home.
    Prague and Budapest also worth visits but watch the pickpockets.

Visited and loved:
    Santa Cruz, Monterey and Carmel in California hold a special place in my heart.
    Seattle takes some beating.
    Hong Kong is just fcuking wonderful.
    Acapulco must be the friendliest place on earth!
    Chicago I thought was interesting, Detroit fascinating and Albuquerque is magical for adults.
    Liked Australia but not the Australians!
    San Diego is a must see place IMHO.
    The Eden Valley is probably the last English "must do" to still be discovered.
    Devon and Cornwall are pretty much unbeatable as is Edinburgh.
    Munich, Salzburg and Stuttgart need visiting if you have not already done so.
    I think a lot like Alto, South Africa is totally splendid but the racial undertones and the constant threat of violence spoil the natural beauty of a quite magnificent country.
    I have still to find a nicer, friendlier place than Eire. I have played the best golf of my life over there and the Guinness and the oysters have ensured the family name will live on for quite a while yet!
    Finland, Norway, Sweden and Denmark are quite simply just a cut above most places in the northern hemisphere.
    Moscow is strange but mysterious and I want to go again!
    Bucket list:
    Malta.
    Vietnam.
    Botswana.
    Rwanda.
    Israel.
    Croatia.
    Bulgaria.
    Never visiting again:
    Anywhere on the eastern seaboard of the US except Boston.
    Japan.
    Egypt.
    Bolivia.
    Travelling is always interesting but we live in the most dangerous times I have ever known, so I now need to seriously consider safety and security which is a real bummer. The child bride comes first!

"Always wanted to go to China to sail up the yangtze river, terracotta army and all the rest but its so expensive having to get plane flight in China to see their vast Country".
    It's not very expensive to fly around China but if you ever do visit here I would suggest travelling around the country by train.
    You will pass through fantastic scenery....I have to go to Hong Kong (which to me is not the "real" China at all) every 90 days, I live in Menxia, Henan Province and it takes 26 hours each way.
    The Yangtze River is beautiful and the Terracotta Army is amazing.
    There are so many things to see and do in China....you would not be disappointed :-)

I got interested in the Yangtze River when Michael Palin went up it in his 80 days TV show, it looked fantastic, Palin said to visit it soon as there was going to be some big changes to it soon.

My friend wanted to visit for his 60th Birthday, so we had a look and it would have cost us lots in airfares and accommodation map, I would not mind travelling on the train as it looked O.K. with Palin and I don't mind travelling, but it also would take up to much time I think.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)