Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Thread: Vaulks

  1. #1

    Vaulks

    Does he have what it takes to be our next captain?

    Do we want someone who doesn't really have a playing position and is happy to drop into any position to help out for a game or two even though at the end of last season he said that he didn't want to? I know he says his prefered position was in midfield but is he good enough really to drive the team on as a captain should?

    The goals that he scores are amazing and his right foot is brilliant in front of goal but does he really have the passing range that we'll need if we're going to go up any time soon?

    He says that he is a tackler but does he tackle? Does he break the opositions play enough to earn him the shirt.

    Is he first choice for any position to say he'd be picked every week and play as captain?

    What type of player is he?

    Is he good enough to be a good Rotherham United Captain?

  2. #2
    I've said elsewhere that his commitment and energy can't be faulted.
    However, I think he must be colour blind judging by the number of times he passes to the opposition.
    I think he's too slow to play in central midfield and often gets there just too late, commits fouls and gives away unnecessary free kicks, not to mention the yellow cards he picks up.
    Having said that, I'm not sure what his best position is and think he will probably end up on the bench if Warne manages to sign a suitable replacement for Frecks.
    Just my opinion.......

  3. #3
    My choice would be Ihiekwe. Yes he's lost his way recently but there is a captain in that lad.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by mellowmiller View Post
    I've said elsewhere that his commitment and energy can't be faulted.
    However, I think he must be colour blind judging by the number of times he passes to the opposition.
    I think he's too slow to play in central midfield and often gets there just too late, commits fouls and gives away unnecessary free kicks, not to mention the yellow cards he picks up.
    Having said that, I'm not sure what his best position is and think he will probably end up on the bench if Warne manages to sign a suitable replacement for Frecks.
    Just my opinion.......
    I saw your other post just after I posted this. Both made me chuckle.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazza Has A Gazza View Post
    My choice would be Ihiekwe. Yes he's lost his way recently but there is a captain in that lad.
    That's not a bad shout. He was the captain at Tranmere wasn't he?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Rotherham
    Posts
    2,709
    I think it will go to wood for rest of season after that my guess would be mattock. Captains tend to be one of the older of the bunch who’s been at the club a few years

  7. #7
    I think its more about presence on the pitch than age.

    TBH I would put Vaulks over Mattock, who allegedly doesnt have much upstairs, if Vaulks can cement a regular position.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Rotherham
    Posts
    2,709
    Quote Originally Posted by PerigordMiller View Post
    I think its more about presence on the pitch than age.

    TBH I would put Vaulks over Mattock, who allegedly doesnt have much upstairs, if Vaulks can cement a regular position.
    I thought it went to the most experienced

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Silly-miller View Post
    I thought it went to the most experienced
    Normally yes, and I admit it seems to matter less in footy than cricket, but we've seen young influencers on the pitch, remember the likes of Roy Keane.

    I think Vaulks was actually captain at Falkirk.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Rotherham
    Posts
    2,709
    Quote Originally Posted by PerigordMiller View Post
    Normally yes, and I admit it seems to matter less in footy than cricket, but we've seen young influencers on the pitch, remember the likes of Roy Keane.

    I think Vaulks was actually captain at Falkirk.
    Roy Keane would no doubt smack anyone who challenged him for arm band lol

    So long as we win I don’t care who gets it 😂

  11. #11
    Firstly will he get in the team? Frecks was always there to receive the ball and paly short passes to keep play moving - Vaulks thinks he's Glenn Hoddle with searching 50 yd passes straight to the opposition. Too many times ,as somebody else has said he gives the ball away needlessly. No real suggestion for skipper ,TBH apart from taking the toss up ,which today seems a pointless exercise anyway cant see what a captain does as all players should encourage each other.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    4,969
    Most people are questioning Vaulks: long passing, being our captain. Frecks did he ever pass long? don't think so. His game was short passing & ghosting into the oppositions area. Don't think Frecks was a tackler either. But he when fit was effective for us how he played. Vaulks is more direct. I'd give him the captains armband. Would give him more responsibility. He'd be more careful with his passing then. But don't change his game, got goals in him how he plays.

  13. #13
    maybe a sweetener would be rodak? make the lad feel wanted. give him a extra confidence boost and pizz gwru off please Paul it makes sense

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    4,969
    Quote Originally Posted by caytonmiller View Post
    maybe a sweetener would be rodak? make the lad feel wanted. give him a extra confidence boost and pizz gwru off please Paul it makes sense
    Not won over by him as a keeper nemind captain. Want to see Rodak when a barrage of corners ect... are coming over. Don't like his style dealing with them.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by gwru View Post
    Not won over by him as a keeper nemind captain. Want to see Rodak when a barrage of corners ect... are coming over. Don't like his style dealing with them.
    I think you might have mentioned this before.......dozens of times. Yawn 😐

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    4,969
    Quote Originally Posted by mellowmiller View Post
    I think you might have mentioned this before.......dozens of times. Yawn ��
    If people keep saying he's this next great keeper I'll have to disagree.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    17,342
    Personally I’d make Vaulks captain, if Wood isn’t here

    I’d think Warney will give to Wood if here, Vaulks, Mattock or even Ball

  18. #18
    It's his long passing that's the problem, his short passing for the most part is bang on and has been reasonable for many good moves. He's not been the only one doing daft balls this season though, it's been our main problem.

  19. #19
    Ajayi.
    Build for future.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Yak View Post
    Ajayi.
    Build for future.
    He would probably miss his arm with the band.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •